Home-Made IEMs
Apr 12, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6,376 of 15,974
  Would you share with us?
My experiments with colors are not successful. I've tried Acrylic Ink (it's mentioned here), epoxy resin dye (a local brand). The addition of any dye leads to uneven polymerization. Bumps, holes or wet layers are formed. Even with thoroughly stirring. Epoxy dye do not harden without hardener. So it would be nice to hear more from the community about the coloring of the shells and faceplates.

I have been through the exact same process!  I have spent a lot of cash at my local hobby stores with limited success.  Shiloh suggested this stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-Obsession-transparent-color-pigments-1-ounce-bottle-epoxy-resin-crafts-/361395727088?var=&hash=item5424dd2af0:m:mdcC3uNu5BQQxxlkDyY8p_A

It is fantastic!  It mixes so easily and evenly and doesn't seem to interfere with the curing process.  Of course darker colors with extend your curing process but that is normal.  Give it a shot!

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #6,377 of 15,974
  I have been through the exact same process!  I have spent a lot of cash at my local hobby stores with limited success.  Shiloh suggested this stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-Obsession-transparent-color-pigments-1-ounce-bottle-epoxy-resin-crafts-/361395727088?var=&hash=item5424dd2af0:m:mdcC3uNu5BQQxxlkDyY8p_A

It is fantastic!  It mixes so easily and evenly and doesn't seem to interfere with the curing process.  Of course darker colors with extend your curing process but that is normal.  Give it a shot!

Tnx!
You only used the transparent color or opaque too? One more question before I rushed to buy it - do I need a hardener for this dye? My local dye brand based on epoxy resin and will NEVER dry without hardener.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #6,379 of 15,974
  Would you share with us?
My experiments with colors are not successful. I've tried Acrylic Ink (it's mentioned here), epoxy resin dye (a local brand). The addition of any dye leads to uneven polymerization. Bumps, holes or wet layers are formed. Even with thoroughly stirring. Epoxy dye do not harden without hardener. So it would be nice to hear more from the community about the coloring of the shells and faceplates.

You may want to try this dye. I've use this and it's really superbly nice. Looks like jewelery

http://www.padicoshop.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_86

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #6,380 of 15,974
  Tnx!
You only used the transparent color or opaque too? One more question before I rushed to buy it - do I need a hardener for this dye? My local dye brand based on epoxy resin and will NEVER dry without hardener.

Just mix with transparent and cure as normal.  Go easy though, a drop or two goes a long way.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #6,383 of 15,974
  Jerry explaining the technology behind the Lola

Personal laboratory of Jerry for scientific research? =)
Can anyone identify the device to the right of the monitor? I think it is a crossover (black) and three headphone amplifier for 2-3-way IEM.
I guess it's a good idea to turn the knobs, try different crossover frequencies, balance levels, phase etc.  And only then implement it at a physical resistors and capacitors.
Or is it just my imagination...

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #6,385 of 15,974
Awesome, I just finished mine on the weekend and was actually looking for an old paint can but had too settle for foil coating a piece of PVC pipe.  I added a little solar powered turntable as well.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #6,386 of 15,974

Personal laboratory of Jerry for scientific research? =)
Can anyone identify the device to the right of the monitor? I think it is a crossover (black) and three headphone amplifier for 2-3-way IEM.
I guess it's a good idea to turn the knobs, try different crossover frequencies, balance levels, phase etc.  And only then implement it at a physical resistors and capacitors.
Or is it just my imagination...

Thanks for sharing. Makes sense to use dynamics as mid range. Interesting that he matched the phase plot and used a high pass filter on the mid.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #6,387 of 15,974

Awesome, I just finished mine on the weekend and was actually looking for an old paint can but had too settle for foil coating a piece of PVC pipe.  I added a little solar powered turntable as well.

They both look great! I'm planning something similar and already bought a LED lights. Unfortunately they don't cure the Mcear resin at all. My girlfriend's nail lamp cures the material in less than 30sec.
It is a 1m 5050 LED strip from eBay. The seller claimed the lights had a wavelength of 395-405nm...

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #6,388 of 15,974
They both look great! I'm planning something similar and already bought a LED lights. Unfortunately they don't cure the Mcear resin at all. My girlfriend's nail lamp cures the material in less than 30sec.
It is a 1m 5050 LED strip from eBay. The seller claimed the lights had a wavelength of 395-405nm...

May be seller sent you non UV LEDs.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #6,389 of 15,974
May be seller sent you non UV LEDs.

Is there such a thing like "purple or blue light that's not uv light"? I always thought that wavelength and color determine each other.
What I noticed: The nail lamp has a much bluer light while the LED strip is more purple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back