Home-Made IEMs
Apr 14, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #6,391 of 15,996
Is there such a thing like "purple or blue light that's not uv light"? I always thought that wavelength and color determine each other.
What I noticed: The nail lamp has a much bluer light while the LED strip is more purple.
Well, humans can't actually see ultraviolet light, it just happens that uv lights also output some visible purple/blue light from them. So if you have a bulb that is made to output purple or violet light it will look basically the same as a uv light.

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #6,392 of 15,996
Thanks guys.
So I apparently bought something that acts to be uv light by emitting only the parts of uv light that usually can be seen by eye - great 
deadhorse.gif

I just checked with a banknote: the nail lamp makes the uv activated fibres glow while the ebay LEDs do nothing..

Any recommendations for real uv LED strips?

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #6,393 of 15,996
Thanks guys.
So I apparently bought something that acts to be uv light by emitting only the parts of uv light that usually can be seen by eye - great :deadhorse:

I just checked with a banknote: the nail lamp makes the uv activated fibres glow while the ebay LEDs do nothing..

buy from trusted source, mouser would be my first choice. Maybe it will be a bit more expensive but you fully know what you're buying

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #6,394 of 15,996
Hi,
I'm Chris, from Germany, but my english is not so good... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.
So I apparently bought something that acts to be uv light by emitting only the parts of uv light that usually can be seen by eye - great :deadhorse:

Your Problem is, that the UV-gel is for 365nm an not for the "cheaper" 395nm light range.
I have made it with a little "Turn-table" and one single 3w LED with 365nm. It works really good, but I'm at the beginning of the process ...

And there is a little Question. My Ear-canals are very small. I will make a CIEM with the GK-drivers. And eventually I get the new GV-drivers in the next days. Can I get a good Sound Quality out of the CIEM if I only take one 2mm tube at the Output port? I think I could get it done with a 3mm tube, when I press the Tube to 2x4mm :p

I was told, that the Sound quality from the driver is good enough, so that it is not really neccesary to build it with dampers. Eventually with a 1000 Ohm Damper for the highs.

How many Shells can you make of one "Agar-Agar" form, before re-melting it?:rolleyes:

Sorry for the stupid questions, maybe, I've read about the things, but didn't understand it :rolleyes::D
Have a nice weekend.
Greets
Chris

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #6,396 of 15,996
buy from trusted source, mouser would be my first choice. Maybe it will be a bit more expensive but you fully know what you're buying

Mouser would be great, but I just can't find UV LED strips in their assortment.

Your Problem is, that the UV-gel is for 365nm an not for the "cheaper" 395nm light range.
I have made it with a little "Turn-table" and one single 3w LED with 365nm. It works really good, but I'm at the beginning of the process ..

Hi Chris, many German DIEMers these days :D
How do you know the resin needs 365nm light for curing? Mcear sadly doesn't specify which manufacturer's resin they sell or which wavelength it needs to cure.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #6,397 of 15,996
Well, I would say its my try & error Method *g*

With a normal 395nm LED I wasn't very happy, because I tried for many Minutes, but it wasn't very good, then I tried the 365nm LED, checked after 1 minute and it was completly done, also the inner part of the shell. Since then I only work with around 0,175A at the LED and it worked fine for me.

But I also have the problems with curing the inner part without curing the whole shell...:rolleyes:

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #6,400 of 15,996
I emailed the guy running McEar, and he sent me this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-y9m_RlOls-d254VC1ZeV8zV3lubktwWFVIUjhLV0RfMFpR

Apparently it's fotoplast? I've had trouble curing the resin from McEar too, albeit that may be due to a bad uv light.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #6,402 of 15,996
The best low cost and proven way to cure is using the CCFL UV nail lamp.
It works like a charm. It has the correct wave length. 

As long as you use it the right way you will have great results. No need to rotate the investment when curing, just place it in the tray and cover the opening with tin foil. Make sure to remove the transparent blue color sticker on the tray it comes with usually (it's silver shiny under that).

1:20-1:30min is the time it takes to cure the shells with Egger resin ( transparent, 1:45-2min depending on other colors).

Remove the excess resin and without removing the shells from the investments cure again with glycerin inside for 8-9min. Be careful when pouring the glycerin as it can create small bubbles that will stick to the inner wall and will cure. So pour slowly and even give a few knocks with your fingers on the investments so the bubbles rise to the surface or heat it slightly with a heat gun.

The best would be to make a small vacuum/pressure chamber and put the investments with the glycerin inside before the second cure so it eliminates all chances of having bubbles. then you could take them out and place them inside the UV lamp for the second cure.

Pouring the glycerin in the shell without removing them makes it easier and you have less chance of having small bubbles of air sticking both inside and outside 

Rinse in alcohol after that and you are done.

They come out crystal clear and shiny. Don't even need to lacquer or buff them. They actually are shinier than if they go through buffing. 

I haven't found a buffing compound I am happy with so far. I tried the blue color buffing stick with a dremel and buffing cotton wheel at high speed. It get's them shiny but not as shiny as when they come out of the cure or go through lacquering.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #6,405 of 15,996
Also I got another question,
I have syringes and dispensing blunt needles 18 gauge (green color)
How do you fill them with the resin? I tried "sucking" it directly from the needle but the viscosity of the resin makes it very difficult to fill the syringe any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back