Home-Made IEMs
Sep 26, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #5,342 of 16,107
To everybody in this thread Same question as MuZo2.
Where are you buying Sonion drivers?

So far I had luck finding some on toabao, I know colsanmicro.com have them too but it is more complicated to buy in small quantities. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #5,343 of 16,107
Hi All.
Sø ive got the sonion 1723 in both vented, non-vented and no crossover version coming and the sonion 2323 and 2389.
I was thinking something in the likes of doing a build with either 2323 or 2389 and adding a woofer - perhaps the Knowles CI, what's your thought about that? Thought behind the design is to create a CIEMs with extender FR in both ends, to be semi natural or slight v shape, and to have authority down low - useful for soundtrack music and such.

And another build with just a 1723 - gotta test which one I like the most.

And a build with the 1723 and a 2323 or 2389 to extend HF.

What is your thoughts on this?
And the 1723 non eq can be added either as full range, tweeter or woofer depending on the setup.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #5,344 of 16,107
Creative Aurvana uses 2323 capped combined with a 2015 so I guess CI with 2323 would be a good match too.

UE sf5 pro used a propriety 2300 and 2000 so I guess a 2015 and 2389 would be a good match as well with 2389 connected half coil.

Hey by the way, where did you get your 2389s and 2323s?

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #5,345 of 16,107
Creative Aurvana uses 2323 capped combined with a 2015 so I guess CI with 2323 would be a good match too.

UE sf5 pro used a propriety 2300 and 2000 so I guess a 2015 and 2389 would be a good match as well with 2389 connected half coil.

Hey by the way, where did you get your 2389s and 2323s?

Thanks! As much as I'd like to tell you I really can't - I'm sorry!
But if there are some specific model that you would like I could.perhaps arrange a group buy. It has to be 25 units at least of each model though.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #5,347 of 16,107
  I am reshelling a friends broken pair of UE5's.  He wanted to add a low driver so I added a Sonion 2015 in series but I'm not really seeing any improvement in sound sig.  I tried in parallel but had a huge phase cancellation.  Both low drivers (the UE looks like a CI-22955) are glued together into one tube with a 2200 filter.  This pic shows left and right electronics before installing...

The tubes are pretty long (approx. 50mm) so maybe it will change for the better after I install into the shell.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry for random posts.  My computer is being a turd.

The sound of the 2015 with CI was really muddy plus I ended up killing the UE CI driver, so I decided to change directions.  I ended up using a Sonion 3800 with a 10ohm resistor in parallel.  That did the trick!  Thanks! 

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #5,350 of 16,107
I've done some more research and it appears that Agar (also known as Kanten) is used as "reversible hydrocolloid material" and is used as a duplicating material. Strangely enough it looks exactly like Krystaloid when cure, I'll keep everyone posted as I did order some. It is much stronger than gelatin according to what I've read. Here is a picture of it.

Any word on this stuff?  Thinking about trying it out...

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #5,351 of 16,107
My first project in progress: an Etymotic style shape + single RAB-32257. 

I've printed a 3D shape created by some user, the original file in here, now I'll finish sanding and paint it to try looks a bit more refined. Also, I'm just trying to figure out how is the best way to seal/filling up the armature in this cylinder, will something like that with blue tack works fine? If someone has a better idea would be helpful too!

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #5,352 of 16,107
  My first project in progress: an Etymotic style shape + single RAB-32257. 

I've printed a 3D shape created by some user, the original file in here, now I'll finish sanding and paint it to try looks a bit more refined. Also, I'm just trying to figure out how is the best way to seal/filling up the armature in this cylinder, will something like that with blue tack works fine? If someone has a better idea would be helpful too!

Looks nice!
Did you account for the fact that the RAB is smaller than the ED?
Other than that just use some epoxy if you dont want to be able to remove, or use some foam material - like the one we see people here use when using replacement shells from westone.
Did you print it in ABS? If so, then I'd suggest smoothing it with acetone - toxic fumes yes, but that's just the nature of acetone, go do it outside :wink:

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #5,353 of 16,107
  Looks nice!
Did you account for the fact that the RAB is smaller than the ED?
Other than that just use some epoxy if you dont want to be able to remove, or use some foam material - like the one we see people here use when using replacement shells from westone.
Did you print it in ABS? If so, then I'd suggest smoothing it with acetone - toxic fumes yes, but that's just the nature of acetone, go do it outside :wink:

Haha, yes! Perhaps this is a good thing in my case because this 3D file isn't finished yet so the size could be smaller for ED (also the result will variable depending on which settings/printer you use).

Indeed, I've seen excellent results with acetone and people using an old rice cooker to do that but atm I haven't this material in my hands, then I'll use some sandpaper 400 to ~1200 I'm hoping that will look good as well after finished. Thank you for the tips!

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #5,354 of 16,107

Haha, yes! Perhaps this is a good thing in my case because this 3D file isn't finished yet so the size could be smaller for ED (also the result will variable depending on which settings/printer you use).

Indeed, I've seen excellent results with acetone and people using an old rice cooker to do that but atm I haven't this material in my hands, then I'll use some sandpaper 400 to ~1200 I'm hoping that will look good as well after finished. Thank you for the tips!

Gonna be honest here - skip the rice cooker!
Just get a container, some paper towels, tinfoil and you are good to go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2lm6FuaAWI there you go.
It will be a better finish with acetone than with sandpaper.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #5,355 of 16,107
  I've printed a 3D shape created by some user

Hi that's me lol. If you're going use acetone vapor be sure to do it before you put the armature in since the vapor will mess up the delicate internals. Might seem obvious but just wanna make sure.

This design is unfinished because there's so much I can do without an actual physical armature to test fittings. Hopefully rggz can provide some nice info.

Also, this design feature only a fixed cable but I'm going to see if maybe I can add a wide straight hole to take an MMCX connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back