Home-Made IEMs
Sep 22, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #5,312 of 16,032
  I would suggest to hear it first, Have you heard the etymotic? Lots of people will tell that they have enough treble for them.

There is the WBFK SERIES from knowles that are design to give high treble outpout.

Also when making an highpass filter on the appropriate driver it will give you less impedance in the treble range of it, allowing "more output" at that range because of the impedance characteristic of balanced armature that is not linear and usually rise at higher frequencies. Making an highpass filter will lower the overall impedance of the driver allowing only one part of it to be used. Less resistance on the higher range thus more output on that range.

I would highly suggest to hear the driver though. Unfortunatly you cannot draw conclusions about how the final product will sound by looking at those knowles graph's sheets and try to visually add them.

No I have not - though I've read that they should be quite good.
Isn't the WBFK the driver thats used in the TWFK?

Using a "dedicated tweeter" would assist in achieving that for sure like a twfk or wbfk with a high pass filter.

Full range BA's are capable of achieving exceptional treble. The ED-29689 is a great sounding example. The ED-30761 and ED-29689 combo in my opinion sound hands down better than my um pro 30's and ue900s and both of those have a dedicated tweeters.

Would you say that they have better treble than a dedicated setup or just that some of them are exceptional and some implementations of a "tweeter" just simply is poor?

With all the knowledge here, what setup would you recommend for me?
Sound pref: bass must be able to extend all the way down to limit of hearing, preferably lower (I like soundtracks, and Intersteller just sounds better with very deep bass). Extension in treble all the way up, with good detailing. I like to be able to hear every little detail in the music.
The midrange needs to be there, but not over nor under emphasized.
Bass can be a bit over emphasized.
Same with treble.

Perhaps just a GK-31732 build? 

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #5,313 of 16,032

Would you say that they have better treble than a dedicated setup or just that some of them are exceptional and some implementations of a "tweeter" just simply is poor?

Sound pref: bass must be able to extend all the way down to limit of hearing, preferably lower (I like soundtracks, and Intersteller just sounds better with very deep bass). Extension in treble all the way up, with good detailing. I like to be able to hear every little detail in the music.

Same with treble.

The GK is a nice plug and play setup that has good bass extension using a red damper. I have connected a second CI-22955 to the same low pass on the GK which gave a nice low end roar.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #5,318 of 16,032

Same with treble.

GK-31732 I got confused 

GQ-30783 is the driver setup used in the audio technica ath-im02. Very well received IEM with a neutral sound signature and good extension.
Here are Tyll's measurments for it http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHIM02.pdf

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #5,321 of 16,032
Hi guys,

Just an update to say that the last parts for my build finally arrived today (GK-31732 driver and universal Shure replica shells) and I managed to put it all together. Thoroughly enjoying them! Thanks again for all the information and tips!

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #5,322 of 16,032
I am reshelling a friends broken pair of UE5's.  He wanted to add a low driver so I added a Sonion 2015 in series but I'm not really seeing any improvement in sound sig.  I tried in parallel but had a huge phase cancellation.  Both low drivers (the UE looks like a CI-22955) are glued together into one tube with a 2200 filter.  This pic shows left and right electronics before installing...

The tubes are pretty long (approx. 50mm) so maybe it will change for the better after I install into the shell.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #5,325 of 16,032
I am reshelling a friends broken pair of UE5's.  He wanted to add a low driver so I added a Sonion 2015 in series but I'm not really seeing any improvement in sound sig.  I tried in parallel but had a huge phase cancellation.  Both low drivers (the UE looks like a CI-22955) are glued together into one tube with a 2200 filter.  This pic shows left and right electronics before installing...

The tubes are pretty long (approx. 50mm) so maybe it will change for the better after I install into the shell.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hmm, does the impedence of the sonion driver match the CI drivers? Will like change once it's sealed in the shell, did you get to do any more testing? Did you end up figuring it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back