Home-Made IEMs
Sep 24, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #5,327 of 16,034
Hi guys,

Just an update to say that the last parts for my build finally arrived today (GK-31732 driver and universal Shure replica shells) and I managed to put it all together. Thoroughly enjoying them! Thanks again for all the information and tips!

Great job!!! The GK's are every bit Pro drivers!!!! In fact HearWave in ear monitors out of the U.K. uses both the GK and GQ drivers, they have recording artist using them and charge over $750 for a custom molded set!!!! No longer would I consider them just an easy way to do an IEM, they are a true contender!!!! Great work!!!!

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #5,328 of 16,034
Man, this is just straight up professional! What driver did you use for this reshell? What did you change with your technique to achieve these results? I'll follow your steps from your pasts posts when I get my hands on UV resin.

Hey, if you won't mind, is this what you used for the Savant clones? :)

"Knowles ED29689
1500Ω damper
20Ω resistor in series
2mm/3mm tubing length

Knowles ED30761
2200Ω damper
1.5mm/5.5mm tubing length"

from FUYU's post :)

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #5,331 of 16,034
Hi all! I'd like to share my creation with you guys.

A 4th order Linkwitz-Riley active 3-way crossover for IEMs. Now that’s a mouthful :)

It uses a fully analog active crossover, giving a much improved performance over passive “crossovers” normally found in IEMs, including steeper roll off into the cutoff region, no phase shifts and consistent filter performance regardless of load impedance. Of course the downside is having the extra bulk of the separate crossover housing (I used a Hammond 1455), but many folks use similar sized headphone amps anyway. Runs off a single Li-Ion battery, the battery life is somewhere around 60 hours. Very good filter performance together with low noise, low distortion make for a very well performing crossover unit.

The IEMs themselves contain a CI, DTEC & TWFK combo. It would be possible to use any combination of drivers, as long a custom cable with 4 conductors per earphone is used. The output of the crossover has two 4-pole 3.5mm connectors to get a total of 3 outputs and signal return per channel.
I posted a previous prototype here a long time ago, but this improvement has several changes, including an integrated usb dac, layout pcb layout improvement, better emphasis on component selection etc.

In my (arguably subjective) opinion the sound is fantastic, but I still wish test different combinations of BA drivers with it. I still have to work on my technique for making IEM shells.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #5,333 of 16,034

A 4th order Linkwitz-Riley active 3-way crossover for IEMs. Now that’s a mouthful :)

It uses a fully analog active crossover, giving a much improved performance over passive “crossovers” normally found in IEMs, including steeper roll off into the cutoff region, no phase shifts and consistent filter performance regardless of load impedance. Of course the downside is having the extra bulk of the separate crossover housing (I used a Hammond 1455), but many folks use similar sized headphone amps anyway. Runs off a single Li-Ion battery, the battery life is somewhere around 60 hours. Very good filter performance together with low noise, low distortion make for a very well performing crossover unit.

The IEMs themselves contain a CI, DTEC & TWFK combo. It would be possible to use any combination of drivers, as long a custom cable with 4 conductors per earphone is used. The output of the crossover has two 4-pole 3.5mm connectors to get a total of 3 outputs and signal return per channel.
I posted a previous prototype here a long time ago, but this improvement has several changes, including an integrated usb dac, layout pcb layout improvement, better emphasis on component selection etc.

In my (arguably subjective) opinion the sound is fantastic, but I still wish test different combinations of BA drivers with it. I still have to work on my technique for making IEM shells.

Much respect. That is the most inspiring thing (DIY-wise) I've seen in a long time. Makes me feel lazy and unimaginative :)

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #5,334 of 16,034
I would really love to hear that o.o 

It looks totally awesome!

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #5,335 of 16,034

eek.gif
I am sure it sounds fantastic. Very well done Sir.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #5,336 of 16,034
Great job!!! The GK's are every bit Pro drivers!!!! In fact HearWave in ear monitors out of the U.K. uses both the GK and GQ drivers, they have recording artist using them and charge over $750 for a custom molded set!!!! No longer would I consider them just an easy way to do an IEM, they are a true contender!!!! Great work!!!!
Thanks! Well, mine is probably one of the simplest builds in the entire thread, not really much skill involved at all; what really sets you guys' work apart are the custom shells - that's where the true craftsmanship is.
Yes I agree, the GK driver setup does truly sound awesome, and when I read about the prices IEMs that use them can fetch, it just makes my smug-o-meter shoot up, haha! Again, I'm very glad I found this thread and thanks for the encouragement and tips - keep up the good work!

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #5,337 of 16,034
  This is nuts! Bravo!
Looks like you soldered everything on the board.
So much info I have to process, I don't even know what to ask.
You have implemented a dac amp in it?

I am sure those guys are proud

Yes, all hand soldered. It is a two sided board and the bottom side has almost as many components as the top layer :D. And yes it has an integrated DAC, based on the PCM5102A.

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #5,340 of 16,034
  Sonion 23X75

Thanks!
Wow, I really guess that it is Monday morning here :D (I was trying to read it during my morning commute but for some reason I simply couldn't).
But really, thank you.
I've had the 122's and really loved the sound, but they were stolen 2 months ago.
That was the reason I got in to DIY CIEM's.
ATM I am using a sonion 1723 driver - but I miss the treble extension and clarity of the 23x75.
Think I will order the 23x75 and add a subwoofer to it - perhaps the 38AM007mi/8a - it should be their BA driver with the most and lowest bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back