Home-Made IEMs
Aug 2, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #5,132 of 16,107
Originally Posted by ForceMajeure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have these rotating resistor 0-100ohm 
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/13539-Free-shipping-20PCS-EVM3ESX50B12-100-ohm-3-3-Trimpot-Trimmer-Potentiometer-variable-resistor/32349670678.html

I think he might want to switch configuration completely or add another driver with a switch.

I think it would be better
It is also in Angie

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,133 of 16,107
Aug 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #5,134 of 16,107
I thought it would be better to Tocos than Force Majeure open potentiometer (link from AliExpress)
(If potentiometer built into earphones the job.)

And of course, the switch is  switch,not  potentiometer, it is absolutely true...

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,136 of 16,107
Morning HFers!  I'm working on a Clear Tune CF-400 Clone.  No other reason than it looked like I have the right drivers on hand.  Anyone had any experience with this particular IEM?  I think I have the wiring right but I have some serious phase issues, I think...

My big question is: What value capacitor and resistor should I try?  I'm using a 2.2uf cap on 2389.

Based on this...

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #5,138 of 16,107
Hi guys, looking to buy a full-range BA to pair with a DD. Based on similar price ranges, should I look beyond Knowles to Sonion and Colsan ?
Is there any balanced natural-sounding full ranger with no hot treble you guys could recommend ? Not a big fan of cool/cold tonality...!

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #5,139 of 16,107
Hi guys, looking to buy a full-range BA to pair with a DD. Based on similar price ranges, should I look beyond Knowles to Sonion and Colsan ?
Is there any balanced natural-sounding full ranger with no hot treble you guys could recommend ? Not a big fan of cool/cold tonality...!

Knowles BK-28562, it's cheap and a full range, this is the exact driver shure used for years in there single driver e3's. Several other companies use it as well.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #5,140 of 16,107
Hello All,

It's been awhile since I posted something that I've been working on. I had some Shure e5's sitting around for awhile and I decided to see if they could be reworked, for those of you that don't know they were a great 2 driver monitor back in the day and I still occasionally see them sell used for a couple hundred bucks.

Biggest problem I had with them was the cable, it's so thick and bulky and non-detachable, and it yellowed very bad quickly! Oh, and the crossover circuit was in the cable at the Y, just a bad design in those regards.

Spoiler: For those wanting to make a simple 2 Driver great sounding monitor, at the bottom I'll include the recipe to make this 2 driver setup with crossover and all. 

The cable on this gem was cracked and broken, left side had intermittent problems, and the entire cable had turned from clear to yellow, ugh!!!! 

First things first I had to get to the crossover circuit, heat gun did the trick!

The plastic housing pealed right off after heat was applied..................

Next I removed the drivers from the housing. (A little trick to get into universal monitors to mod or repair, use a hair dryer to heat them up, it makes it so much easier to get into them without damaging the housing.)

Once the drivers were removed I harvested the 4 capacitors off the crossover board (2 for each side). I used my own resistor of the same value and recreated the circuit. I coated each cap and the res with super glue to ensure it didn't short out anywhere based on them being crammed into the same area in the housing.

I put the drivers back into the rubber sleeve.

Then I closed them up, re-did the red and blue dots, and on a side note I am surprised at how much space there was to fit the crossover in the shell housing, I didn't run into any issues and I am shocked that Shure didn't go that route in the beginning.

This is what they turned out to be;

Two Driver Monitor Recipe Book:

Drivers Needed:
Knowles CI-22955
Knowles ED-23619

​Capacitors and Resistors:
2.2uf Cap (2)
10 ohm Res

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #5,141 of 16,107
  Thinking about doing a single CI-22955 build. Should I add dampers?

Wouldn't recommend this though, you won't get enough treble with this driver.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #5,142 of 16,107
  Hello All,

It's been awhile since I posted something that I've been working on. I had some Shure e5's sitting around for awhile and I decided to see if they could be reworked, for those of you that don't know they were a great 2 driver monitor back in the day and I still occasionally see them sell used for a couple hundred bucks.

Biggest problem I had with them was the cable, it's so thick and bulky and non-detachable, and it yellowed very bad quickly! Oh, and the crossover circuit was in the cable at the Y, just a bad design in those regards.

Spoiler: For those wanting to make a simple 2 Driver great sounding monitor, at the bottom I'll include the recipe to make this 2 driver setup with crossover and all. 

The cable on this gem was cracked and broken, left side had intermittent problems, and the entire cable had turned from clear to yellow, ugh!!!! 

First things first I had to get to the crossover circuit, heat gun did the trick!

The plastic housing pealed right off after heat was applied..................

Next I removed the drivers from the housing. (A little trick to get into universal monitors to mod or repair, use a hair dryer to heat them up, it makes it so much easier to get into them without damaging the housing.)

Once the drivers were removed I harvested the 4 capacitors off the crossover board (2 for each side). I used my own resistor of the same value and recreated the circuit. I coated each cap and the res with super glue to ensure it didn't short out anywhere based on them being crammed into the same area in the housing.

I put the drivers back into the rubber sleeve.

Then I closed them up, re-did the red and blue dots, and on a side note I am surprised at how much space there was to fit the crossover in the shell housing, I didn't run into any issues and I am shocked that Shure didn't go that route in the beginning.

This is what they turned out to be;

Two Driver Monitor Recipe Book:

Drivers Needed:
Knowles CI-22955
Knowles ED-23619

​Capacitors and Resistors:
2.2uf Cap (2)
10 ohm Res

Very cool!  Looks fantastic.  Thanks for the recipe!  What is the purpose of stacking the caps instead of a bigger value?

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #5,144 of 16,107
  Very cool!  Looks fantastic.  Thanks for the recipe!  What is the purpose of stacking the caps instead of a bigger value?

I am not sure
cool.gif
, I simply replicated how the circuit was laid out from the original Shure e5 circuit. I wonder if it has something to do with controlling the SPL without sacrificing Frequency Response, great question and I am now curious. Maybe someone could answer that question for Squirg and I.

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #5,145 of 16,107
Hello All,

I was cooking up some 3 Driver configs and figured I would share one with everyone, it has promise and sounds great.

Drivers:
CI-22955
TWFK

Caps and Resistors:
.47uf capacitor (connected to the WBFK side)
39ohm resistor (connected inline with cap to the FK side)
10ohm resistor

Measurement:

Setup Recipe: Dual bore with Green Damper on TWFK 1.2mm ID tube on TWFK no Damping on CI driver

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back