Home-Made IEMs
Jun 3, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #4,816 of 15,989
What about the Translucent impression silicon?

I watched the video and that is the first time I had heard of that product. From what I saw in the video I have concerns about the uv light being able to penetrate enough (if at all) given the finished mold is not clear.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #4,817 of 15,989
Hi guys. Im gonna join you soon :) well already did... Just like do stuff with my hands (before that some guitars and stuff) but now i wanter to try and make myself a proper pair of iems. Just bought a pair of knowles GK drivers, some tubing, lisa pavelka uv gel, soft transparent silicone etc. Just waiting for the uv light.

Wanted to ask you a question if you dont mind guys. I soldered everything making sure I didnt rest more than 1 sec on the soldering pad so I cant burn the drivers. I carefully depose some superglue around the sound exits of the driver (small tubing, not much just to connect the big one with the driver cause the big one dont fit on both exits). Just to be sure of the sound i insert both tubes like this in my ear and give it a try with some music. I dont know, sounds a little moody with not much details no bass and highs are kinda harsh. When i listen to the ci tube only yes the sound is somewhat more bassy but not enought... Weird. Is it supposed to sound like this? Both sounds the same. Could you give me some advice?

Thanks guys and great tread! And sorry for my broken english - not my native language... :)

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #4,818 of 15,989
Hi guys. Im gonna join you soon
smily_headphones1.gif
well already did... Just like do stuff with my hands (before that some guitars and stuff) but now i wanter to try and make myself a proper pair of iems. Just bought a pair of knowles GK drivers, some tubing, lisa pavelka uv gel, soft transparent silicone etc. Just waiting for the uv light.

Wanted to ask you a question if you dont mind guys. I soldered everything making sure I didnt rest more than 1 sec on the soldering pad so I cant burn the drivers. I carefully depose some superglue around the sound exits of the driver (small tubing, not much just to connect the big one with the driver cause the big one dont fit on both exits). Just to be sure of the sound i insert both tubes like this in my ear and give it a try with some music. I dont know, sounds a little moody with not much details no bass and highs are kinda harsh. When i listen to the ci tube only yes the sound is somewhat more bassy but not enought... Weird. Is it supposed to sound like this? Both sounds the same. Could you give me some advice?

Thanks guys and great tread! And sorry for my broken english - not my native language...
smily_headphones1.gif

Until you create a seal within your ear canal you cannot have a good bass and everything will sound like very harsh treble cheap earbuds.
Only after you have a shell that make good seal only then you can elaborate. 
Regarding the treble part you will probably need dampers to make them sound less harsh but again you will only be able to test this with shells.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #4,819 of 15,989
Until you create a seal within your ear canal you cannot have a good bass and everything will sound like very harsh treble cheap earbuds.
Regarding the treble part you will probably need dampers to make them sound less harsh but again you will only be able to test this with shells.

Thann you man!

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #4,820 of 15,989

Howdy, fellow Head-Fiers!  So, this is my first crack at making a test rig of some sort.  These IEMs are single CI-30120's.  It seems the CI's should have better LF. Am I not getting a good seal?  I'm using a cheap USB microphone.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #4,821 of 15,989
Jun 10, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #4,825 of 15,989
Quote:
 Weird. Is it supposed to sound like this? Both sounds the same. Could you give me some advice?

This, you can try using eartips with a small enough diameter to create a seal with the tube then you will get closer to what it should sound like.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #4,826 of 15,989
Just got in some Dreve 3 Lacquer from Lightning Enterpises.  WOW!  What a difference!  I can sand and buff for hours and hours and not get the same glossy finish as applying one coat of this stuff.  When I switched from cheap, UV nail gel to Fotoplast S/IO I was impressed at the quality and clarity.  But, using this stuff has really boosted my confidence in shell building.  The only negative is it has a slight yellowish hue to it.  I may be over-exposing it to UV.  Has anyone else had this problem?  However, the benefits far outweigh the cons.

I guess this is yet another lesson on getting the right tools for the job!  Do yourself a favor and pick some of this stuff up.  It was about $50 for 20ml but worth every penny.

Cheers! 

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #4,827 of 15,989
  Just got in some Dreve 3 Lacquer from Lightning Enterpises.  WOW!  What a difference!  I can sand and buff for hours and hours and not get the same glossy finish as applying one coat of this stuff.  When I switched from cheap, UV nail gel to Fotoplast S/IO I was impressed at the quality and clarity.  But, using this stuff has really boosted my confidence in shell building.  The only negative is it has a slight yellowish hue to it.  I may be over-exposing it to UV.  Has anyone else had this problem?  However, the benefits far outweigh the cons.

I guess this is yet another lesson on getting the right tools for the job!  Do yourself a favor and pick some of this stuff up.  It was about $50 for 20ml but worth every penny.

Cheers! 

Having the right tools for the job seem to make all of the difference! I have some shells made with Fotoplast S/IO and I just got the 3 Lacquer in the mail, can you post some pics of how it looks? Also how many shells do you think you'll be able to coat with little 20mL bottle?

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #4,828 of 15,989
  Having the right tools for the job seem to make all of the difference! I have some shells made with Fotoplast S/IO and I just got the 3 Lacquer in the mail, can you post some pics of how it looks? Also how many shells do you think you'll be able to coat with little 20mL bottle?

I'll try and post some pics tonight.  The stuff is way thinner than I thought.  I don't know why, but I was thinking it was going to be thicker than S/IO.  I have only done a few pairs of shells and the bottle still looks unused!  Being so thin, you only need to put a light coat and it spreads very evenly.  I can see this bottle lasting for a very, very long time.  I would say it could easily do 50 shells, probably more!  

Enjoy!

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #4,829 of 15,989
  I'll try and post some pics tonight.  The stuff is way thinner than I thought.  I don't know why, but I was thinking it was going to be thicker than S/IO.  I have only done a few pairs of shells and the bottle still looks unused!  Being so thin, you only need to put a light coat and it spreads very evenly.  I can see this bottle lasting for a very, very long time.  I would say it could easily do 50 shells, probably more!  

Enjoy!

Awesome! So you basically "paint" on the laquer and then uv cure? How long did you cure it for? 

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #4,830 of 15,989
  Awesome! So you basically "paint" on the laquer and then uv cure? How long did you cure it for? 

Exactamundo!  The lid is a long paint brush, like nail paint.  I cured it for 2 min. tops but haven't really done my homework on curing times for Lacq 3.

Oh, and the best part...NO RESIDUE!  It drys completely.  I wiped it down with alcohol, not sure if that is why I got a little (very little) yellowing or not.  Maybe someone will chime in on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back