Home-Made IEMs
Dec 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #4,068 of 15,989
@silverprout

I'm working on revamping my Cure Chamber and wanted to know the wiring you did on yours with the Digital Delay Timer.

Did you use resistors for you LED's?
What is the Heatsink for?

What is hooked up where?

Thank you for your help and support!!![/quote]

i use wide angle uv leds.

You can use a step down regulator from ebay instead of resistors, and they already have an heatsink
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4,069 of 15,989
Playing around today, I had some rosewood in the garage from another project and wanted to see what it would look like as a faceplate.

Rescued some drivers from a broken set of UM Pro10's.
The internal wire was salvaged from a $3 pair of earphones from the dollar store. MMCX connector, and no filter.

Shell - fotoplast and covered with lack 3

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #4,072 of 15,989
I don't have personal experience of making CIEMs, but I do have many years of experience of modelmaking, in various materials, and I can tell you that standard spiral-flute drill bits can sometimes 'grab' when drilling acrylic (the drill bit suddenly grips too much and tries to travel into the material too rapidly), and this can fracture the acrylic, because waste material cannot be eliminated fast enough to make room for the incoming drill bit). This maybe only happens 5% of the time, but it's a nightmare when it does, so I would personally avoid the risk.

Therefore, a diamond burr might be safer method.

Others may have even better methods.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #4,073 of 15,989
Here is video footage of 64Ears using a HSS or diamond burr for the task:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu4IuJDuQ-0#t=138

...and one of the videos MuZo2 posted also shows a HSS burr being used for the task:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWbSNklTHsU

Obviously, if the only burr you have available is slightly too large for your sound tubes, it doesn't matter because you can fill the slight voids using liquid UV acrylic

If you have a choice between HSS burr or diamond burr, then I would choose the diamond burr, because although the HSS burr may cut a bit faster, it still has a slight spiral on it, and there is a slim chance that it could grab like a drill bit. With diamond, you retain maximum control.

If you only have an HSS burr, then it's still much safer than a standard drill bit (because the spiral flutes are so much smaller and more numerous, for any equivalent diameter of bit, and because the frontal profile of a burr is much blunter than that of a drill bit), but be very aware to feed it into the material slowly so that it absolutely cannot grab the material (not just grab it forwards, but grab it sideways).

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #4,074 of 15,989
Guys,

So I have dug and dug and am trying to find a source for shell material in North America.  I see everyone talking about Egger and Dreve but don't see many links to locations where folks are buying the material.  Can we put together a list of vendors that people have used in the past that are reliable?  I have multiple broken IEM's around that I want to salvage and create some customer IEM but I am stuck trying to find 'skin' safe material that is sold to the general public.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #4,075 of 15,989
  Guys,

So I have dug and dug and am trying to find a source for shell material in North America.  I see everyone talking about Egger and Dreve but don't see many links to locations where folks are buying the material.  Can we put together a list of vendors that people have used in the past that are reliable?  I have multiple broken IEM's around that I want to salvage and create some customer IEM but I am stuck trying to find 'skin' safe material that is sold to the general public.

this is where I believe mostly everyone gets their Fotoplast-S/IO from. http://www.lightningenterprises.com/uvmaterials.html

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #4,076 of 15,989
Guys,

Lightning Enterprises is a great resource. They sell the fotoplast in smaller containers 100g (3 1/2 oz) for $62 500g (17.6 oz) for $225

Oaktree Products - Cheaper in price 500g for $148 but it has a 3-5 week lead time.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #4,077 of 15,989
What bits do you guys recommend for drilling the bores? I have 2X1.4mm ID and 2.8X2mm ID acoustic tubing.
What is the best way to drill with a dremel? Diamond burrs, regular drill bits...?

I have had great results with the following kits:

All the above items can be bought in bulk off of eBay, I clean the stone bits with isopropyl alcohol to remove dust/residue left over from grinding my shells, this stretches the life of the bit out a bit for me.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #4,079 of 15,989
  One question how much isolation we can expect from ciem? can you hear people around you when musing is not playing?

I often see -27db being touted as a 'go-to' figure, in the industry, but Shure seem to think they can go many dbs better than that, with their universals.

And then there's ADEL modules to muddy the water.

But, yeah.... generally, I tend to see -26 or -27 db being quoted.

In my CIEM experience (using, not making), I can hear people talking when music is not playing, but it's pretty muffled and I wouldn't hear them if they were deliberately talking quietly. Main benefit for me, in terms of isolation, is when sitting on trains, as it really cuts out a lot of the screeching of the train wheels on the tracks.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #4,080 of 15,989
I often see -27db being touted as a 'go-to' figure, in the industry, but Shure seem to think they can go many dbs better than that, with their universals.

And then there's ADEL modules to muddy the water.

But, yeah.... generally, I tend to see -26 or -27 db being quoted.

In my CIEM experience (using, not making), I can hear people talking when music is not playing, but it's pretty muffled and I wouldn't hear them if they were deliberately talking quietly. Main benefit for me, in terms of isolation, is when sitting on trains, as it really cuts out a lot of the screeching of the train wheels on the tracks.

Also would depend on the length of the CIEM stem, does it extend past the second bend in your ear canal. Shallow sound stem, though sealed, allows more ambient/direct noise. My experience seems deep inserted CIEM's isolate more efficiently but takes time to get used too if you have never tried deep canal monitors.

Variables such as wall thickness could also be a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back