Home-Made IEMs
Nov 4, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,978 of 16,107

Hey  @piotrus-g, do you have any examples of bandpass or lowpass filters? :)

What do you mean by "examples"

Oh,

1. Trade secrets.

1. Proprietary information

1. Valuable R&D

That kind of thing
wink_face.gif

LOL   
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #3,979 of 16,107
Lol, nope, none of that. I'm trying to write up a quick overview on IEM filters for /r/diems and have very little experience with first order band-pass filters or low pass filters. The common example of a low pass filters makes use of an inductor but I haven't seen any IEMs use one. Any wisdom is much appreciated.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3,980 of 16,107
  Lol, nope, none of that. I'm trying to write up a quick overview on IEM filters for /r/diems and have very little experience with first order band-pass filters or low pass filters. The common example of a low pass filters makes use of an inductor but I haven't seen any IEMs use one. Any wisdom is much appreciated.

Well, there's probably all you need to know in Sonion's brochure http://www.sonion.com/~/media/Files/Academy/Academy_ProAudio__DocCode_304_V_001_Web.ashx including answer to bold portion above.
1st order LPF can be made by resistor in series and cap parallel to the ground. Just like on scheme I posted few pages back (design no.1, for easier understanding).

I'm also quite sure there's some of this knowledge in @Furco's DIY guide.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #3,981 of 16,107

I wonder what your 3 driver ciem uses? does it use directly 3 driver solutions from Knowles?

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #3,983 of 16,107

I wonder what your 3 driver ciem uses? does it use directly 3 driver solutions from Knowles?

The C3's contents are listed on the site. :)

Why don´t you open up custom art harmony and post the schematic on youtube
biggrin.gif

Piotr adds a lot to the community, and the Harmony isn't DIY friendly. That's two of many reasons why. :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,984 of 16,107
I just found something fantastic for shell-making:

CND Color Additives

I think that using these in combination with the existing clear UV acrylic we all use (Dreve Fotoplast, Egger UV, UV nail gel) could yield some really interesting results. Using these additives could result in some... Wizard-ry? 
biggrin.gif

I also found a cheaper source for bulk amounts of UV nail gel topcoat. 

What do you guys think?

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #3,985 of 16,107
I started receiving stuff that I ordered, among them some mica powders for nice coloring that I have ordered from aliexpress, pretty cheap 24 color samples of 5 grams each,
awesome stuff. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-Colors-Mixed-Healthy-Natural-Mineral-Mica-Powder-DIY-For-Soap-Dye-Soap-Colorant-makeup-and/32373805051.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.10.jq8rs7&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Now for using them I think it will be nicer looking painting a coat of uv resin mixed with mica powder inside the shell (which can be transparent or slightly tinted with the matching color) rather than mix it with resin to make the shell. Doing so will yield a nicer result "a la Wizard" if you know what I mean.

like this

I will test different method but I think that doing so I will get a nice shine from the outside as in the picture.

I also been looking into some nail art techniques and they have a lot of tricks that can be applied to make faceplates.One of them is using "nail foil" that can be ordered for cheap which have a ton of designs and can be used to mimic a ton of materials...you can look for instructions and video example all over youtube. I have received some foils and will try to mimic this material called carbon fiber shred used to make knife handles and also used as a prestige material buy Noble for their prestige line.

Now I have a question, what kind of wax do you guys recommend for dipping the ear impressions? Is candle wax good, or do I need something special that melts at very high temperatures?

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,987 of 16,107
Isn't paraffin wax the same as candle wax? How do you heat it, and at what temperature does it melt?
Because the agar stuff I bought ("Nicefit" brand hearing aid molding material) have a processing temperature of 47deg celsius.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #3,988 of 16,107
I've seen candles made of bees wax, paraffin wax, and earwax of all things! So I'd say get paraffin wax, so you don't end up with earwax. :)

I heat with a waxing pot with a modified thermostat.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,990 of 16,107
Fiy Noble's predecessor used bee wax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back