Home-Made IEMs
Nov 6, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #3,991 of 16,003
So I just tried to make my own impressions (open mouth  with a toothbrush) and this is the result:

I don't know if these are good enough but when I tried to insert them back in my ears to test them it was quite painful. I don't know if some of you tried to reinsert them, I would like to know if this is supposed to be painful.

Also the part bending around the 1st bend is quite thin IMO, is this supposed to be this thin? usually in pictures it look a bit larger than it looks in real life... Will this limit the number of bores that I will be able to make?

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #3,992 of 16,003
  So I just tried to make my own impressions (open mouth  with a toothbrush) and this is the result:

I don't know if these are good enough but when I tried to insert them back in my ears to test them it was quite painful. I don't know if some of you tried to reinsert them, I would like to know if this is supposed to be painful.

Also the part bending around the 1st bend is quite thin IMO, is this supposed to be this thin? usually in pictures it look a bit larger than it looks in real life... Will this limit the number of bores that I will be able to make?

They are quite good. Cut all the excess material like in the picture below

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,993 of 16,003

They look fantastic!

I tried reinserting mine back into my ears and it was also a struggle and a bit painful (and they were made at an audiologist's office). The portion of the ear canal past the second bend is highly sensitive to anything that touches the ear wall - hence why CIEMs don't go past it. Also, with an untrimmed pair of impressions, the material has to bend quite a bit to be able to push itself through all the bends of your ear canal, pressing and scraping against the sides of your ear canal. After a proper trimming, they should be uncomfortable at worst to re-insert. CIEMs are more comfortable because the acrylic has a smooth surface allowing it to slide freely along the ear canal, whereas silicone impressions are quite grippy.

As long as you have a clear imprint of your ear canal (no roping along the sides), what you get is what you get. Some people have very thin ear canals (like me) and some have gloriously wide ear canals. It looks like your ear canals may be on the smaller side (like mine) but from a quick glance, you should be able to squeeze two bores into it. Mine barely fit two bores.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #3,994 of 16,003

I think you're insane to do DIY ear impressions, but, having done them, you have achieved an entirely usable result, apparently without personal injury, so congratulations are in order
wink.gif

Seriously, though - those are perfectly decent impressions. Better than many I've seen posted, that were done by qualified audiologists.
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #3,996 of 16,003
  Some people have very thin ear canals (like me) and some have gloriously wide ear canals. It looks like your ear canals may be on the smaller side (like mine) but from a quick glance, you should be able to squeeze two bores into it. Mine barely fit two bores.

That is so true. Some customers have canals that are easily half the diameter of my own. At first I thought it was an error, but it certainly was not.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #3,997 of 16,003

Some people have very thin ear canals (like me) and some have gloriously wide ear canals. It looks like your ear canals may be on the smaller side (like mine) but from a quick glance, you should be able to squeeze two bores into it. Mine barely fit two bores.

That is so true. Some customers have canals that are easily half the diameter of my own. At first I thought it was an error, but it certainly was not.

www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/4125#post_10560660

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #4,001 of 16,003

Here, too.

Yes definitely, great post you have there! 

Oh, not just me - Sproketz' opening post was good, and MuZo2 posted some good info, too, amongst others.

I know I sound like a broken record, always linking that thread, but it's only because it's a fairly unique thread, here on Head-fi, with a good illustrative overview of the topic.

Anyway, I'm glad you succeeded with your DIY impressions, even though it's not something I'd ever risk doing, myself.

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #4,003 of 16,003
Well it's been way too long since I've posted anything, but it's cool to see so many familiar names contributing to the forum still!!

I'm digging all the great schematics and designs. I finished some rough shells today for a small project, I'm planning to close it up with a rosewood face plate, mmcx connectors and a nice triple driver configuration.

Here is a sneak peak:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back