Home-Made IEMs
Apr 13, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,616 of 16,074
  I made a revision of the 7 driver universal earlier, and tried to tame the SWFK peak as much as possible - didn't work out that well. Was better than the previous version where the SWFK and the GR drivers both boosted the 5-6k peak making it huge. This time the treble is still peaky but it sounds and looks better. But the sound is quite warm and mellow. The bass is soft and doesn't hit that hard, but extends quite deep. Can't tell much about the treble, but the mids are very detailed which I like with pop music. 

Drivers are: CI22955, 33AE011, GR31587, SWFK31736

(I forgot what button to take the screenshot again...) Note: Yellow and Green lines are left and right earpieces.

You have some phase issues in it IMHO.
Also you should consider using damper on 3300 and Ci - you don't want peak at 1,5kHz but at 2kHz which should be place where GQ works.
You could also wire 3300 in series and add some low pass filtering

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3,617 of 16,074
Yeah I changed the GR driver to parallel wiring, which made it go weirdly in phase with the rest of the drivers. But it makes it a very nice tweeter, rather than a midrange/tweeter before. 
I couldn't fix the phase probably due to the 3300 mixing with the GR. 

I didn't have space for any dampers as the shell wasn't big enough unfortunately...Gonna order some custom humongous sized universal shells next time.

Always have room for improvements next time! :)

Edit: There are actually low pass filters for the CI and the 3300, but the peak is still there unfortunately...

Edit2: Can I just use a bigger diameter tube for the low drivers to shift the peak up?

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #3,618 of 16,074

Edit2: Can I just use a bigger diameter tube for the low drivers to shift the peak up?

Or you could try using a horn as that may improve the response of your high freqs.   But considering space is an issue, I'm not sure you'll be able to get away with trying to integrate one into your build.  

For your phase issues, how many tubes are you using?  Are any of your drivers sharing tubes?

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #3,619 of 16,074
Space isn't an issue for the tubes actually. It's just that the shells I have are quite shallow and I can't stick a CI driver in the shell vertically (hope this makes sense...). I can fit a horn in it next time actually, it's just that this time I didn't have the right diameter tubes for it.

I'm using three tubes, one for CI , one for 3300, and one for the SWFK+GR31587 - the GR31587 is defaulted to series, but i broke that default connection and connected it in parallel, giving it some very nice treble extension. It seems to be able to be used as a super tweeter in parallel connection.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #3,621 of 16,074
Apr 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,622 of 16,074
White / Black with Skin tone faceplates 
tongue_smile.gif

Knowles GK Drivers with appropriate dampers..

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #3,626 of 16,074
Does anyone want to help contribute to a pro's and con's list for 2-pin vs Mmcx connectors?

I'm a huge fan of Mmcx because:
- 360 degrees of rotation
- High amount of force to disengage the plug
- One single standard, in other words, universal compatibility regardless of manufacturer.
- available in 90 degree bend as well as straight
- 500 reconnect cycles before failure of materials
- corrosion resistant due to being made of brass.
- Being made of brass gives it some "bling" factor.
- cost; I can get 10 male plugs for under $10. Female jacks are a little more expensive but not much.

Okay, now some con's:
- because these connectors are made for coaxial cable, wiring them can be a little complicated when using normal headphone wire.
- potential "dead zones" between plug and jack. In other words, it is possible in some situations, that turning your head a certain way will result in loosing a signal in the earphone. Not sure how frequently this might happen but I know for a fact that it can happen.
- could require some extensive reconstruction of a custom shell in order to install it because of its large size? Given I have no experice with 2-pin connectors nor their size relative to a Mmcx, this is just an observation about mmcx connectors which may be also true for 2-pin. When installing them in my customs, I usually find myself saying "Jesus!! That's a big hole! And it still doesn't fit right??!"

Cheers!!

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3,627 of 16,074
Random post: Driving up the east coast this evening, I was daydreaming that I won the lottery, quit my job, and hired a few of you to start a cIEM company. Acain must be planting subliminal messages in my head.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,628 of 16,074
"That's a big hole! And it still doesn't fit right??!" that's sounds like a personal problem but after years of abuse the whole and so many insertions the whole just gets really sloppy. I prefer MMCX over 2-pin, the 2-pins I have used have always been a problem taken them off and on. And you can easily bend the pins, they also become very loose after there broken in.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #3,630 of 16,074
Random post: Driving up the east coast this evening, I was daydreaming that I won the lottery, quit my job, and hired a few of you to start a cIEM company. Acain must be planting subliminal messages in my head.

Wow this is know lie I was day dreaming at work today about winning the lottery and thinking what I would do with the money. And first though was to open a custom company with a couple guys form the forum. But after a couple years we would get into portable amps and dacs. Furco this is are destiny it has to mean something everyone make sure you play the lottery this week!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back