Home-Made IEMs
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #3,631 of 16,107
And I live on the East coast in PA right on the boarder of PA and NJ. I can see the sign now DIY East Coast Custom Audio. We can offer a walk in service and have a 2 day turn around for a small fee.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #3,632 of 16,107
And I live on the East coast in PA right on the boarder of PA and NJ. I can see the sign now DIY East Coast Custom Audio. We can offer a walk in service and have a 2 day turn around for a small fee.

"2 day turn around" -- I can see piotrus-g falling out of his chair laughing. That would require a good stock of drivers sitting on the shelf and a bit of magic to go from ear molds to shells in less than a day. The manpower to do that on a commercial scale would need to be pretty large. But, hey? Dream big or go home, right?

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,633 of 16,107
"2 day turn around" -- I can see piotrus-g falling out of his chair laughing. That would require a good stock of drivers sitting on the shelf and a bit of magic to go from ear molds to shells in less than a day. The manpower to do that on a commercial scale would need to be pretty large. But, hey? Dream big or go home, right?

Ok 2 day turn around for specific models we will have the drivers wired and tubed and they will just have to installed and trimmed. And we won't be using negative molds it will all be 3D scanned and sent to a high RPM 5-axis mill and will be milled out of a solid block of acrylic or carbon fiber to cut down on manufacturing time.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,635 of 16,107
Remember we just won 40 million dollars we are going state of the art.

Yeah, I forgot about being a millionaire. Can't get out of my thousandaire thinking.

But I get the sense that cnc'ing a block of acrylic isn't going to save that much time since the entire process will require hi-res scanning, programming, cutting, then extensive sanding and polishing? Compare that to making a negative, pouring/curing the acrylic.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #3,636 of 16,107
Once your technique is perfect enough, shell making can be done (that includes waxing, making negative mould, moulding, grinding, drilling) in half an hour. Not that much difference compared to 3d tech I might say.

The only drawback I can see here is that conventional method is more labor intensive, which is a big minus when you want to go full throttle. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #3,637 of 16,107
Yeah, I forgot about being a millionaire. Can't get out of my thousandaire thinking.

But I get the sense that cnc'ing a block of acrylic isn't going to save that much time since the entire process will require hi-res scanning, programming, cutting, then extensive sanding and polishing? Compare that to making a negative, pouring/curing the acrylic.

Thats true, I have done both and it takes more time for digital process. But I am not a pro so there was learning experience on both accounts.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #3,645 of 16,107
Furco secret for coloring acrylic and keeping transparency:

Works like a charm!!

I presume that stuff is water-soluble, or it might denature the acrylic.

What about UV resilience of the dye? If it's intended for food, I wouldn't expect it to have much UV resistance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back