Home-Made IEMs
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #13,021 of 15,996
Hey, I use the cheapest crystal clear uv resin I could find for tubing and it works like a charm. For everything that could touch my ear I'd rather use some medical grade stuff but since everything is inside the shell I have no problem with using simple uv resin.
The resin sticks nicely to metal and the tubes and I can always remove it with a scalpel/tweezers and some patience.
Where did you get your resin from? I have tried several and none of them really worked out for me sadly. I have some nail polish remover alike that work quite well to remove the resin thou.
Got my uv glue from a friend, not sure on the details. And so far I'm just using universal plastic shells

I am trying to make a Y tubing with heat shrink and some 2mm ID tubes but they just don't stick together firmly enough by the glue. Guess I will need to buy more UV glue to experiment with then.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #13,022 of 15,996
Where did you get your resin from? I have tried several and none of them really worked out for me sadly. I have some nail polish remover alike that work quite well to remove the resin thou.

I am trying to make a Y tubing with heat shrink and some 2mm ID tubes but they just don't stick together firmly enough by the glue. Guess I will need to buy more UV glue to experiment with then.
I'm using a generic uv resin from Amazon. It's nothing special at all. I'll shoot you a pm with a link.

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #13,023 of 15,996
Personnellement, j'utilise la super colle classique 3 pour coller les tubes au driver .

https://www.amazon.fr/Loctite-Super-Power-Control-1621077/dp/B00AZ14X84

Et par sécurité j'ai fini par mettre une couche de résine UV sur le joint. Il est très solide, j'ai déjà essayé de tirer il faut faire attention que le bec du driver ne se détache pas. .

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #13,024 of 15,996
I use bondic for my tube and faceplate attachment. If I need extra strength on my tube/ba
20210714_130518.jpg
connections, I'll add some epoxy over the bondic. I have used loctite medical/fumeless... however I ruined a driver or two because it is too watery and got into the ba, ruining it.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #13,025 of 15,996
I use bondic for my tube and faceplate attachment. If I need extra strength on my tube/ba connections, I'll add some epoxy over the bondic. I have used loctite medical/fumeless... however I ruined a driver or two because it is too watery and got into the ba, ruining it.
How long does it need to cure usually? (Not gonna believe marketing claims lol)

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #13,027 of 15,996
Interesting! What’s the name of this? Where can I get hold of some?
I use Loctite 3301, designed to glue PVC to polycarbonate, for gluing tubes to the drivers. I use 3921 for gluing faceplates. I also use loctite 3611 single component epoxy to glue down smd components prior to solder. Its important to use adhesives that cure at lower spectrum than the UV cured shells. I use 405nm material from pro3dure. The adhesives are LOW spectrum curing so, 350-365 will cure the glue and not FULLY over cure your shell material.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #13,028 of 15,996
I use Loctite 3301, designed to glue PVC to polycarbonate, for gluing tubes to the drivers. I use 3921 for gluing faceplates. I also use loctite 3611 single component epoxy to glue down smd components prior to solder. Its important to use adhesives that cure at lower spectrum than the UV cured shells. I use 405nm material from pro3dure. The adhesives are LOW spectrum curing so, 350-365 will cure the glue and not FULLY over cure your shell material.
Where do you buy the Loctite 3000 series from?

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #13,031 of 15,996
Hey there, for anyone who has cut their impressions digitally before, could I ask for some feedback on my workflow? I feel like there's definitely a better and more efficient way I don't know about. It's first time dealing with organic shapes, or editing an STL at all for that matter. I've messed up my silicone impression cutting and couldn't make duplicates as my impression silicone's curing is inhibited by my mSLA 3D printed mold. If there's a way to get more accurate impression duplicates from an STL and a mSLA printer, please let me know as well.

Current workflow is to convert my STL to a solid in Fusion 360, then create a plane offset from XY plane to where I want to cut and sketch a spline or line. I then make a surface with that sketch that extends downwards and cut whatever I want off. I repeat this process from different heights for each part I want to cut off to achieve a final form. However, what I'm unsatisfied with aside from my utter lack of skill in spline control is that it is very difficult to force the solid to taper inwards so that I can have a better looking faceplate shape where I would be able to just rotary tool the edges away with silicone (until I overcut them of course), and because I'm mainly cutting straight down, I have to start sketches from many different heights and cannot get certain curves to cut in a way where I have less excess material flaring out (see: below ear canal). I'd like to hear what are the actual workflows people are working with to make these things, and if anyone is using Fusion 360 like me, I'd like to hear some tips from you.

Images of my work so far is posted below, ignore the fact that I suck at making smooth shapes, It's my first time and I'll be redoing them next weekend when I have time. Thanks.

vQJn8lU.png
F8QJQP7.png
vwcxWCR.png

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #13,032 of 15,996
Hey there, for anyone who has cut their impressions digitally before, could I ask for some feedback on my workflow? I feel like there's definitely a better and more efficient way I don't know about. It's first time dealing with organic shapes, or editing an STL at all for that matter. I've messed up my silicone impression cutting and couldn't make duplicates as my impression silicone's curing is inhibited by my mSLA 3D printed mold. If there's a way to get more accurate impression duplicates from an STL and a mSLA printer, please let me know as well.

Current workflow is to convert my STL to a solid in Fusion 360, then create a plane offset from XY plane to where I want to cut and sketch a spline or line. I then make a surface with that sketch that extends downwards and cut whatever I want off. I repeat this process from different heights for each part I want to cut off to achieve a final form. However, what I'm unsatisfied with aside from my utter lack of skill in spline control is that it is very difficult to force the solid to taper inwards so that I can have a better looking faceplate shape where I would be able to just rotary tool the edges away with silicone (until I overcut them of course), and because I'm mainly cutting straight down, I have to start sketches from many different heights and cannot get certain curves to cut in a way where I have less excess material flaring out (see: below ear canal). I'd like to hear what are the actual workflows people are working with to make these things, and if anyone is using Fusion 360 like me, I'd like to hear some tips from you.

Images of my work so far is posted below, ignore the fact that I suck at making smooth shapes, It's my first time and I'll be redoing them next weekend when I have time. Thanks.

vQJn8lU.png
F8QJQP7.png
vwcxWCR.png
I don't have luck with f360 too with impression trimming. I use meshmixer and it works really well. Shoot me a message if you have queries about it. I might be able to help you out.

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #13,033 of 15,996

vQJn8lU.png
F8QJQP7.png
vwcxWCR.png
Fusion is not good choice for this. You need something for mesh
Out of curiosity how did you manage to convert mesh to BRep so well? Did you do it within Fusion or with different software? Cause my experience with fusion conversion is mediocre.

Jul 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #13,034 of 15,996
Fusion is not good choice for this. You need something for mesh
Out of curiosity how did you manage to convert mesh to BRep so well? Did you do it within Fusion or with different software? Cause my experience with fusion conversion is mediocre.
Ive dabbled. 3shape is amazing for import and impression manipulation. You can create 3D printed molds for silicone OR finish printed shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back