Home-Made IEMs
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #12,949 of 16,068
Hey there, I really like your shells. I also had problems to get a good finish on my faceplate and found a neat solution named foil flakes. At first I was struggling to apply them properly but had an idea that helped a lot. Apply something like isopropyl alcohol onto the shell and then apply the foil and then brush it to get a nice smooth flat finish.
I found that easier than painting because I'm no artist. ^^
Here is a photo of my MASM3's, the black side of the foil turned out to be blue, which you can see on the right IEM. Depending on the incidence of light you can see it as a dark blue and it looks fantastic combined with black and gold.

The shells I use atm are the standard 3D printed ones from SoundLink. In the future I want to print them by myself with a 3D scan of my ears but for now they have to do.
Looks great!
That combo of black with gold flakes is a great look. No wonder its used a lot. ( UM MEST, Softears RSV, Mangird Tea........)
What shell did you use for the mold?

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #12,950 of 16,068
Looks great!
That combo of black with gold flakes is a great look. No wonder its used a lot. ( UM MEST, Softears RSV, Mangird Tea........)
What shell did you use for the mold?
Thanks!
I'm not making my own shells yet. The shells are from SoundLink on Aliexpress.
Here my Finale 2 which I finished yesterday. These are my 3rd IEMs and the finish is still far from perfect but a lot better than my first try.

Attachments

• Finale 2.jpg
    Finale 2.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #12,951 of 16,068
Anyone interested in some 12mm planar drivers with good frequency response? I need 4, but they give a big quantity discount for 12 pcs. I saw planar drivers are usually 99$ on ali, my high quality source would be 23$ for one.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #12,954 of 16,068
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #12,955 of 16,068
You have the Apple Dongle yet? Looks like soundcard bass dropoff still😄 Here it's available in every gas station actually :D
Yes I'm actually using the Apple dongle as output. I tried using a splitter to get it to also accept the microphone but that didn't work. Maybe it's the mic in from my usb soundcard?
But shouldn't the Finale 2 drop off slightly below 50Hz anyway?
And btw. if anyone is thinking of building a Finale 2 and is unsure yet: Do it. I'm amazed by that build and can't stop listening to music.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #12,956 of 16,068
Yes I'm actually using the Apple dongle as output. I tried using a splitter to get it to also accept the microphone but that didn't work. Maybe it's the mic in from my usb soundcard?
But shouldn't the Finale 2 drop off slightly below 50Hz anyway?
Oh yes that's it lol. You need to use the Apple dongle as mic input! The drop off happens in the input, not output. I can send you the splitter that works for me, maybe you can find the same product as on ali on amazon.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #12,957 of 16,068
Oh yes that's it lol. You need to use the Apple dongle as mic input! The drop off happens in the input, not output. I can send you the splitter that works for me, maybe you can find the same product as on ali on amazon.
Oh yes please give me a link then. I'd be so happy when I can actually believe 100% what I'm measuring!
:smile_phones:
--edit-- I think I got it. Idk what went wrong the last time but this is with the Apple dongle as mic:
--edit2-- It was still wrong. ^^ I've attached the final measurement as 2nd picture.

Thanks a lot kkugel for pointing me in the right direction!

Attachments

• Img.png
    Img.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Finale 2 - ifi & Apple.jpg
    Finale 2 - ifi & Apple.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #12,958 of 16,068
Oh yes please give me a link then. I'd be so happy when I can actually believe 100% what I'm measuring!
:smile_phones:
--edit-- I think I got it. Idk what went wrong the last time but this is with the Apple dongle as mic:

Thanks a lot kkugel for pointing me in the right direction!
That looks correct! Sometimes you need to push plugs into these splitters with force. However, you might want to try crossing the bass lower, at 300. 500 is very high and will give you bloated sound

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #12,959 of 16,068
Also really no one wants some planar drivers? I'll 3D print you guys shells, c'mon guys I don't wanna spend 100$ for 2 drivers hahaha

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #12,960 of 16,068
But my question is
Why is treble rolling of
@Theodoric Paddlefoot

Finale 2 is good(now a very old design though)
Ferrofluid BA sound very different from normal BA's
And damperless, it should sound really good to anyone who tries it
The only thing is that it was made simple for DIY purposes so everyone can make it(ease of build had more priority compared fo Frequency response)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back