Home-Made IEMs
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #12,920 of 15,988
Easy way to stretch tubes is to put a pair of tweezers inside, heat up the tube then insert a small rod (screwdriver) and push towards the fixed side of the tweezers, to add force that spreads the tips. Let cool, but it will still shrink slowly after that, so a few cycles of stretching is necessary.
I just tried this but the tube just didn't stretch at all. What temperature is needed?

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #12,923 of 15,988
The resonance problem sounds bad and I don't know if I could find a workaround for it. So 2x TWFK + 38D1X then. I want to experiment with my next project, having the parts on a breadboard setup and measure and fiddle around until I understand most things. If it then also sounds good I'd be happy.

I used this schematic for the MASM build

VegJ0Ov.png

I like this build a lot. It definitely sounds different to anything I've heard so far in the IEM world. The intimacy of vocalists, the details of instruments and the overall spaciousness sound very exciting to me. However, this build really is special and I want to see what the measurements are once my 711 arrives.
I also made the MASM (same build as pictured) and love it. I EQ a bass shelf at about 200hz and like that it beats many other iems ive demoed.
One thing I dont know is what the Frequency response looks like on a graph and I really want to know. So I can use it as a frame of reference for future purchases. I dont have a measurement rig. Could you post your measurements?
Thanks in advance.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #12,924 of 15,988
I also made the MASM (same build as pictured) and love it. I EQ a bass shelf at about 200hz and like that it beats many other iems ive demoed.
One thing I dont know is what the Frequency response looks like on a graph and I really want to know. So I can use it as a frame of reference for future purchases. I dont have a measurement rig. Could you post your measurements?
Thanks in advance.
Hey, this is what I get. Keep in mind that this was my first attempt at building an IEM and I had no Multimeter that could measure the SMD's at the time. So they can be a bit off. Ideally I should open the IEMs and create a perfectly matched set of Capacitor+Resistor but it sounds great so I don't bother.

--edit-- My measurement was wrong, it had no correct seal and therefore the bass was off. I've attached the correct measurement.
--edit-- Measurements were still off due to a cheap usb soundcard. Second FR is the correct one.

Attachments

• masm2.png
    masm2.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
  • masm3.png
    masm3.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #12,926 of 15,988
MASM got too famous on thread lel
also
some asked about 38D1XJ
thats a woofer
just add with any BA with volume matching and it will work
38D1XJ series internally with 4.7ohm series parallel Lpad(newbie bros, check Lpad circuit before making)
and add any uppermid driver, literally anything
make etymotic or use twfk
it will merge with any driver and will make a wide V shape sound(not narrow Chifi V shape but more like sony M9 like bass)
if bass is more than required amount, increase the series resistor on Lpad

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #12,927 of 15,988
I guess the tubes I have (made in Germany somehow) are too stable and can withstand alot of heat without deformation. I need other tubes......
I guess the tubes I have (made in Germany somehow) are too stable and can withstand alot of heat without deformation. I need other tubes......
I've got tubes from SoundLink and use a cheap heat gun with with temperature regulation. 130°C-140°C works best for me, just put tweezers in the tube and rotate it ~5cm above the gun, and the force from the tweezers will stretch the tubes automatically. I was just doing that so I made a few photos. ^^

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #12,928 of 15,988
MASM got too famous on thread lel
also
some asked about 38D1XJ
thats a woofer
just add with any BA with volume matching and it will work
38D1XJ series internally with 4.7ohm series parallel Lpad(newbie bros, check Lpad circuit before making)
and add any uppermid driver, literally anything
make etymotic or use twfk
it will merge with any driver and will make a wide V shape sound(not narrow Chifi V shape but more like sony M9 like bass)
if bass is more than required amount, increase the series resistor on Lpad
Hey there IEM Guru,
that's basically what I wanted to do for a longer time now and different things came up so that I couldn't finish it.
Your post was basically the necessary drive to start and so I did. I've finished the build an hour ago and oh boy does that thing have bass!
It's exactly the IEM I need, between your MASM and the Finale 2, for which the drivers are already ordered.

Originally I wanted to use 2x TWFK 30017 but I've killed one while soldering and so the project came to a halt until today.

1x TWFK 30017, 14mm tube, 680 Ohm damper half length
1x Sonion 38D1XJ, 19mm tube, 3300 Ohm damper half length, 4.7 Ohm s/p Lpad

--edit-- attached a corrected measurement from ARTA, leaving the faulty one there because a user already replied and made me investigate what was wrong with my measurements

Attachments

• 38D1X TWFK fertig2.jpg
    38D1X TWFK fertig2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TWFK 38D1XJ final final v2.png
    TWFK 38D1XJ final final v2.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #12,929 of 15,988
Hey there IEM Guru,
that's basically what I wanted to do for a longer time now and different things came up so that I couldn't finish it.
Your post was basically the necessary drive to start and so I did. I've finished the build an hour ago and oh boy does that thing have bass!
It's exactly the IEM I need, between your MASM and the Finale 2, for which the drivers are already ordered.

Originally I wanted to use 2x TWFK 30017 but I've killed one while soldering and so the project came to a halt until today.

1x TWFK 30017, 14mm tube, 680 Ohm damper half length
1x Sonion 38D1XJ, 19mm tube, 3300 Ohm damper half length, 4.7 Ohm s/p Lpad
You have some improper seal going on there for the measurement, 38D1X does not drop off that early usually :D

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #12,930 of 15,988
You have some improper seal going on there for the measurement, 38D1X does not drop off that early usually :D
You are right, I have a problem with my measurements in the bass region and I don't know why. I used a Tin T2 for reference, perfect seal, and also get the bass roll off.
I've tried ARTA and REW, both with calibrated soundcard and microphone to rule out a software problem.
I've checked all windows settings for enhancements and stuff and everything is fine.
Right now I have no idea what the problem might be, other than that my 711 could be faulty. :triportsad:

--edit-- Sometimes it's the most obvious things that fly under your radar. It was my usb soundcard which somehow didn't want to measure low frequencies correctly. I bought it specifically for measuring but it was a cheap one so there's that. ^^

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back