Home-Made IEMs
Jun 9, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #11,297 of 15,989
If you are looking for the supposedly next best thing then there are the new pentaconn ear connector type.
They were designed as earphone connectors.
This is an interview with acoustune that started implementing them https://post76.hk/news/2019/08/acoustune-ceo-interview/

There seem to be differences in batches thus far with slight inconsistency in term of grip/force for connecting and disconnecting but still should be much better than mmcx connection

This is the model name of that connector if I am not mistaken NLJ1-11-002
They come in red, blue and black iirc. They also require a special connection on the cable end

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #11,298 of 15,989
If you are looking for the supposedly next best thing then there are the new pentaconn ear connector type.
This is an interview with acoustune that started implementing them https://post76.hk/news/2019/08/acoustune-ceo-interview/

There seem to be differences in batches thus far with slight inconsistency in term of grip/force for connecting and disconnecting but still should be much better than mmcx connection

They come in red, blue and black iirc. They also require a special connection on the cable end
The T2 still look somewhat better to me but I can't put my finger on it why. Mmcx is the worst option in my opinion it suffers from corrosion and wear. Two pin is slightly better but still has its disadvantages. I don't understand why there is not spring loaded connector with a tounge and groove design which stops the connector from rotating. I hope I find a good source for the T2 and the pentaconn connector you showed me. Thanks for the input guys!

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #11,300 of 15,989
The T2 still look somewhat better to me but I can't put my finger on it why. Mmcx is the worst option in my opinion it suffers from corrosion and wear. Two pin is slightly better but still has its disadvantages. I don't understand why there is not spring loaded connector with a tounge and groove design which stops the connector from rotating. I hope I find a good source for the T2 and the pentaconn connector you showed me. Thanks for the input guys!
There's a spring loaded one.

Something used by FitEar and Soranik. :) Has the same pins used by Sennheiser HD600 series. No idea where to source them tho. Haha

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_181239.jpg
    IMG_20200610_181239.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #11,301 of 15,989

The new pentaconn stuff is widely used in Japan right now iirc.

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #11,304 of 15,989
I know MEE audio uses a proprietary connector on their detachable cables. Can't seem to find any details in a quick search.

I know you said you don't like MMCX. I have some that are three years old and they have never given me any issues. Not trying to change your mind, just giving you my experience with them

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #11,305 of 15,989
I know MEE audio uses a proprietary connector on their detachable cables. Can't seem to find any details in a quick search.

I know you said you don't like MMCX. I have some that are three years old and they have never given me any issues. Not trying to change your mind, just giving you my experience with them
My opinion comes from the Shure iems i used they corroded after half a year. I also built some ciem with mmcx and so far every user had he same problem. Connection getting lost at random times. Maybe there are better quality once but if even the shure once don´t hold up i dont have much trust in them. Im glad you had more luck than i did.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #11,306 of 15,989
There are different qualities for mmcx connectors out there.
There are beryllium based connectors that are better.
bispa connectors are higher quality and cost more, some male connectors are even rhodium plated.

in general the mmcx used by CFA are also quite good in term of longevity

Personally I do prefer 2pin over mmcx in term of failure rate

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #11,307 of 15,989
There are different qualities for mmcx connectors out there.
There are beryllium based connectors that are better.
bispa connectors are higher quality and cost more, some male connectors are even rhodium plated.

in general the mmcx used by CFA are also quite good in term of longevity

Personally I do prefer 2pin over mmcx in term of failure rate
Beryllium based? What does that even mean?

Im sure there are better ones out there but i thought shure would use decent ones at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back