Home-Made IEMs
May 1, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #11,237 of 15,989
I am searching for a high quality dynamic driver for my vented earbud project in the 15-16mm range. I would like to have an easy to drive one so preferred impedance would be less than 100 ohm. Any recommendation?
Hmmm

This is kinda wrong thread but still I can guide you(this is In ear monitor thread)

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVCSper
130ohms but is drivable just fine
And do see the specs as you open the link
You will be happy

This will fit in MX500 shell

Hope this helps

May 1, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #11,238 of 15,989
Hmmm

This is kinda wrong thread but still I can guide you(this is In ear monitor thread)

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVCSper
130ohms but is drivable just fine
And do see the specs as you open the link
You will be happy

This will fit in MX500 shell

Hope this helps
Thanks a lot! Meanwhile recognized that there is a dedicated thread for ear buds diy over here. Did you try this driver?

May 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #11,239 of 15,989
Thanks a lot! Meanwhile recognized that there is a dedicated thread for ear buds diy over here. Did you try this driver?
Yes...
And its nice...

But see I ain't believe in burn in

But do one thing

Just max out the volume on this driver for 15minutes(dont distort it, just drive loud as it can get)

And then listen to it

The beryllium coating on it is too hard and once the mylar main diaphragm gets elastic enough

It can have nice details

May 6, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #11,240 of 15,989
Hello DIY enthusiasts and avid readers. First off, I'm a fan of "conservative" ratings by manufacturers, so I have sort of an anti-spec stance, also, noticed some sort of discrepancy.

So the Sonion datasheets of their 29689 variants show almost spiking low frequency distortion, but compare "2323" to "2354" both show same SPL but markedly different harmonic product. What I am missing here,
I dont notice this THD spike in ER4 measurements, because ERs arent tested near saturation, and what about 23xx vs 2354 regardless..?

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #11,241 of 15,989
Hello DIY enthusiasts and avid readers. First off, I'm a fan of "conservative" ratings by manufacturers, so I have sort of an anti-spec stance, also, noticed some sort of discrepancy.

So the Sonion datasheets of their 29689 variants show almost spiking low frequency distortion, but compare "2323" to "2354" both show same SPL but markedly different harmonic product. What I am missing here,
I dont notice this THD spike in ER4 measurements, because ERs arent tested near saturation, and what about 23xx vs 2354 regardless..?
What do you mean by SPL? The response curve? The curve is quite different in my opinion. If you are refering to max SPL i can´t find this spec on their datasheet.
1588767667956.png

1588767692072.png

May 6, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #11,243 of 15,989
What do you mean by SPL? The response curve? The curve is quite different in my opinion. If you are refering to max SPL i can´t find this spec on their datasheet. (...)

The left hand scale on graphs denote sound pressure level.
Looks like adding a port isnt just added level as commonly believed but it's pushing saturation out VERY significantly, because closed driver of same dimensions saturates , so in effect max SPL is reduced. Any pointers, what is the downside to this?

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #11,244 of 15,989
The left hand scale on graphs denote sound pressure level.
Looks like adding a port isnt just added level as commonly believed but it's pushing saturation out VERY significantly, because closed driver of same dimensions saturates , so in effect max SPL is reduced. Any pointers, what is the downside to this?
There is no such thing as max spl on this graph it only depicts sensitivity. I think such response curves are made with 1mw of power over the spectrum. I don´t quite understand what you mean by saturation?

May 6, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #11,245 of 15,989
When you reach 10% THD that's it afaik, so the upper plot is max , or just slightly less than maximum SPL.
Anyway I think I figured out. The downside is probably not on the THD plot but "elsewhere" that makes the port not so desirable in single unit wide range BA .

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #11,247 of 15,989
If you have a pressure pot, smooth-on sorta-clear is the closest I've found in the US.

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/sorta-clear/

Dreve does make Fotosil and Klarsil. I know you can get the Fotosil in cartridges as well as a 2L and 10L kits. I haven't looked into what Klarsil comes as. I'm still using hydrocolloid, but I stumbled across a great deal on the Dreve Dosper, so the two part silicone is on my list.

May 9, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #11,248 of 15,989
If you have a pressure pot, smooth-on sorta-clear is the closest I've found in the US.

Dreve does make Fotosil and Klarsil. I know you can get the Fotosil in cartridges as well as a 2L and 10L kits. I haven't looked into what Klarsil comes as. I'm still using hydrocolloid, but I stumbled across a great deal on the Dreve Dosper, so the two part silicone is on my list.

Regarding the sorta clear. exactly what he said, a pressure pot is a must.

May 9, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #11,249 of 15,989
What do you mean by SPL? The response curve? The curve is quite different in my opinion. If you are refering to max SPL i can´t find this spec on their datasheet.
1588767667956.png
1588767692072.png

the measurement is of st

first of all

the ED29689 in ER4p is 20ohm added
and ER4s is 97ohm added

stock ED distort even more on those area at stock 3ohms

as the amp see low resistance, amp drives a lot of current and gets stressed too(but we believe sonion has ideal amp)

Current drive + at that dB in the graph

the distortion is okay

add 20ohms and calculate attenuation

and convert the % in dB and then attenuate same from dB distortion decibel

and then make a ratio, i will garuntee you , that you will have same distortion like ER4

now second reason is, the green damper

which mask the upper mid slope and also hide the distortion viewed by microphone

so, mate there are many factors

on just stock driver, the ED29689 kinda has similar behavior to 2323 or 2389

May 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #11,250 of 15,989

Thanks! Dreve stuff is waaay too expensive for me. Might go with smooth on. :)

Regarding the sorta clear. exactly what he said, a pressure pot is a must.
Probably need to get my compressor back to work again. I have a pressure pot already but my compressor got toasted 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back