Home-Made IEMs
Jan 27, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #10,910 of 15,989
Have you tried the black one from them?
I have and it is awesome. It is a little bit thicker than Lack3 and easier to work with. Also I love the darker black it produces.

Its not without challenges though, here is my first attempt.

IMG_6088.jpg IMG_6087.jpg

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #10,911 of 15,989
Guys, thanks again for helping on this thread. I have made my first BS6+Zobel CIEM and now working on MASM7 to fix some execution issues and hopefully improve the sound. Will write up some lessons learned once done (hopefully in a week).

Is there a common view on venting / Adel / Apex modules? I have noticed build up of ear pressure in my first CIEM which causes mild discomfort even at very low listening volumes. Has anyone come up with solution to this? Also is it right to think that any sort of venting will require an additional tube back to the shell or directly into Apex / Adel?

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #10,912 of 15,989
20200127_151238.jpg

Someone know what went wrong here my first one was smooth but was to thick because i dip it 2 times in wax this one is bubbly but fits now

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #10,914 of 15,989
Can you see the bubbles in the negative? If I use old agar or agar that is too hot sometimes they come out like this.
I used the agar agar a second time i opend the bag 2 weeks ago

Did you ever try the pulver agar agar? I used the ready to go agar from mc ear

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #10,915 of 15,989
You can use agar a few times. However I think it really depends on how hot it becomes, how long it is hot and so on. I replace mine if it turns yellow.
Also you have to wait for the agar to cool down below 55°C so the wax does not melt when you pour the agar over the wax.
If you make a negative and wait for a few days the agar will dry and also create these kind of dimples.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #10,916 of 15,989

Did you ever try the pulver agar agar? I used the ready to go agar from mc ear

One thing I've learned is that I get better results starting with fresh agar agar which I got in powder form from Amazon but it is also readily available from supermarkets here in the UK really cheap.

Use 1 table spoon with 200ml of cold water, let it sit for 10 min, then bring to boil. I then sieve it through fine mesh to get rid of foam / bubbles and let it cool to 45 Celsius. Then make your negatives as per usual.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #10,917 of 15,989

Someone know what went wrong here my first one was smooth but was to thick because i dip it 2 times in wax this one is bubbly but fits now
Might have been wax that melted a bit when poured over with hot agar. Might have been bubbles created by too hot agar. Carefully check agar temperature, I let it cool to ~50 celsium before pouring it and I get perfect results without any bubbles.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #10,918 of 15,989
One thing I've learned is that I get better results starting with fresh agar agar which I got in powder form from Amazon but it is also readily available from supermarkets here in the UK really cheap.

Use 1 table spoon with 200ml of cold water, let it sit for 10 min, then bring to boil. I then sieve it through fine mesh to get rid of foam / bubbles and let it cool to 45 Celsius. Then make your negatives as per usual.

Hey.... could you send a link which Agar you exactly use???
Thanks Greg!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back