Home-Made IEMs
Aug 6, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #9,736 of 16,011
@Jedrula1 and me had this weird experiment.
IMG-20190806-WA0009.jpg

RAB front vent with 12mm Tube is blue
RAB back vent with 57mm tube(small ID) is red

IMG-20190806-WA0015.jpg

Back vent damped with red damper

IMG-20190806-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20190806-WA0023.jpg

This what we got....
LoL

We were able to tune the dipping in mid and High frequency.

And lemme tell you, the bass roll off is what we didn't wanted but it happened.

And it is not due to cancellation, but BA itself not able to sustain the bass in ripple cancellation and huge volume of air moving, cancelling, getting still and then pushed...lot of air fluid mechanics...

But nice thing is, we dont need to cross this and it gets to perfect sweet spot of rolling of. 150Hz.

Thanks to Jedrula for his support

Well Natural High pass

Its better

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #9,737 of 16,011
I would love to buy the Bellsing DTEC seperately, does anyone know where to buy?

At Ali you can find the DTEC-31116 at a good price. Interesting thing, with the trick of reaming case (first you need to gently saw the edge) and then with the help of extraction with air filings you drill the case on the edge with a microdrill to make a vented version. A drill bit of about 0.5 mm is needed. Or more drastically, the tip of a scalpel. I don't recommend this way, but if someone wants a double woofer for $7, why not? I had charts somewhere. Maybe I'll find them.

Tom, the clear one was one of the first successful IEMs I built back in 2009. I basically took a TripleFi 10 and used the "guts" of it to make a custom fitted version. From there, I started to develop my own designs and that's how 1964 Ears (and now 64 Audio) was born:))

Wow, that's a great story! @vitaliy belo we give you an elite virtual "Sonion Guy" badge. It's available to people who use Sonion drivers. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #9,738 of 16,011
At Ali you can find the DTEC-31116 at a good price. Interesting thing, with the trick of reaming case (first you need to gently saw the edge) and then with the help of extraction with air filings you drill the case on the edge with a microdrill to make a vented version. A drill bit of about 0.5 mm is needed. Or more drastically, the tip of a scalpel. I don't recommend this way, but if someone wants a double woofer for $7, why not? I had charts somewhere. Maybe I'll find them.

Thank you. I found the knowles DTEC, but since I love the BS6 bass so much I was looking specifically for the Bellsing DTEC.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #9,739 of 16,011
@Jedrula1 and me had this weird experiment.

RAB front vent with 12mm Tube is blue
RAB back vent with 57mm tube(small ID) is red

Back vent damped with red damper

This what we got....
LoL

We were able to tune the dipping in mid and High frequency.

And lemme tell you, the bass roll off is what we didn't wanted but it happened.

And it is not due to cancellation, but BA itself not able to sustain the bass in ripple cancellation and huge volume of air moving, cancelling, getting still and then pushed...lot of air fluid mechanics...

But nice thing is, we dont need to cross this and it gets to perfect sweet spot of rolling of. 150Hz.

Thanks to Jedrula for his support

Well Natural High pass

Its better
Oh do you test and build this and rab-p based on speaker designs? I’m doing research on it, and now I understand why you make the RAB-p that way. That’s an entire new level for me.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #9,740 of 16,011
Oh do you test and build this and rab-p based on speaker designs? I’m doing research on it, and now I understand why you make the RAB-p that way. That’s an entire new level for me.
Yup, trying to do something different. Back wave scavenging technique and comb adjustment of back wave and front wave, so it flattens out the peak.

IMG-20190807-WA0000.jpg

Idea 1
Make a naturally low passing and high passing tube design with tube design for effortless and natural stage field and flatter impedance.

Idea 2
I am thinking, that we can Janus Helmholtz resonator and a Closed top Organ resonator to this design to get the bass up back for single driver project. These many resonator idea stuck me as if I want to go single driver full range, I have to compensate over 30dB of bass at 10Hz(maximum limit of frequency threshold- boost value) and that would be possible by dual parallel resonator and a long shot resonator at same time. I want that bass to flat line extended as deep as possible. Then a RAB-p horn in the end to boost the overall treble value.

Idea 3
One more of this driver unit, will go in the resonator of orignal driver for bass reinforcing(I have to calculate), so I get dual parallel, linear impedance and better mid and treble driver with Usable bass region

After zobel
IMG-20190807-WA0002.jpg

Some nice changes to FR, 3kHz became smoother and elevated. Dip at 4.5kHz and peak at 5.5kHz is introduced due to a resonator and merger section of two tubes.

10kHz peak is shifted slightly higher to remove the 10kHz resonance for some ears.

Woofer low pass is also made recently.
Sonion subwoofer driver
A Shure se846 type of woofer labyrinth which is 66mm big with 0.5ID, to low pass the woofer naturally. @Jedrula1 will make it brief.

The issue while crossing these two driver is that the whole RAB works in invert phase(even though signal from driver is coming at same phase). So natural low pass kinda cancel the bass

So I want a circuit to reverse the phase rather than wiring woofer in reverse polarity. Just want to delay the speaker instead of making it move reverse.
This way, we can avoid reverse polarity hollow artifact.

Still, no dampers in straight auditory track. Like normal damping system. Driver - tube - damper - tube - ear system was eliminated completly.

Speaker tube system and back wave dampens the driver response itself, create a high pass without changing impedance and increase acoustically available air for the driver, which stabilises the peaks, reduce heat up pressure (red zone direct pressure) and increase soundstage.

Next thing would be tweeter. We would be using EST, but SWFK will also work.

EST will be flattened out in dips and peak and will fill the RAB-p treble roll of(even though this RAB-p rises in the end due super construction and reinforcement of HF frequency from back wave).

Above is damper
Bellow is labyrinth design.

IMG-20190807-WA0004.jpg

The issue
IMG-20190807-WA0003.jpg

If someone can solve this....

IMG-20190806-WA0037.jpg

IMG-20190806-WA0036.jpg

Woofer long tube adapter

Thanks to @Jedrula1

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #9,741 of 16,011
Yup, trying to do something different. Back wave scavenging technique and comb adjustment of back wave and front wave, so it flattens out the peak.

Idea 1
Make a naturally low passing and high passing tube design with tube design for effortless and natural stage field and flatter impedance.

Idea 2
I am thinking, that we can Janus Helmholtz resonator and a Closed top Organ resonator to this design to get the bass up back for single driver project. These many resonator idea stuck me as if I want to go single driver full range, I have to compensate over 30dB of bass at 10Hz(maximum limit of frequency threshold- boost value) and that would be possible by dual parallel resonator and a long shot resonator at same time. I want that bass to flat line extended as deep as possible. Then a RAB-p horn in the end to boost the overall treble value.

Idea 3
One more of this driver unit, will go in the resonator of orignal driver for bass reinforcing(I have to calculate), so I get dual parallel, linear impedance and better mid and treble driver with Usable bass region

After zobel
Some nice changes to FR, 3kHz became smoother and elevated. Dip at 4.5kHz and peak at 5.5kHz is introduced due to a resonator and merger section of two tubes.

10kHz peak is shifted slightly higher to remove the 10kHz resonance for some ears.

Woofer low pass is also made recently.
Sonion subwoofer driver
A Shure se846 type of woofer labyrinth which is 66mm big with 0.5ID, to low pass the woofer naturally. @Jedrula1 will make it brief.

The issue while crossing these two driver is that the whole RAB works in invert phase(even though signal from driver is coming at same phase). So natural low pass kinda cancel the bass

So I want a circuit to reverse the phase rather than wiring woofer in reverse polarity. Just want to delay the speaker instead of making it move reverse.
This way, we can avoid reverse polarity hollow artifact.

Still, no dampers in straight auditory track. Like normal damping system. Driver - tube - damper - tube - ear system was eliminated completly.

Speaker tube system and back wave dampens the driver response itself, create a high pass without changing impedance and increase acoustically available air for the driver, which stabilises the peaks, reduce heat up pressure (red zone direct pressure) and increase soundstage.

Next thing would be tweeter. We would be using EST, but SWFK will also work.

EST will be flattened out in dips and peak and will fill the RAB-p treble roll of(even though this RAB-p rises in the end due super construction and reinforcement of HF frequency from back wave).

Above is damper
Bellow is labyrinth design.

The issue

If someone can solve this....

Woofer long tube adapter

Thanks to @Jedrula1

Long road to go, but still getting there. The acoustically highpassed RAB sounds great. The bass phase issue will be fixed only acoustically to keep electrical phase perfectly clean. Target remains the same - to keep no-damper design with acoustical lopass and highpass filters.

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #9,744 of 16,011
How exactly are you planing to do that? 1m long tubing inside the IEM?
Magic bro....

Yup, a pretty long tubing 3D printed(see the cylindrical image with spiral inside it, that's the bass low pass. Now, we are fine tuning for phase issue.

If we increase bends(spiral or layered are best), and increase distance with less ID, we technically get low passed. Inspired by Shure SE846 low pass. And the best part is that Sonion driver is also an accu-pass. So, we don't have to go for 1m(lol, that's seriously ....can't even say overkill...lol)

Guys, an acoustical high pass is a very usefull idea.
Yup, it is. It dampens artifacts, kinda increase soundstage and makes everything look nice(see graph.lol. I mean you have already seen it).

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #9,745 of 16,011
How exactly are you planing to do that? 1m long tubing inside the IEM?
Probably 1m tubing is not necessary :) This is how it looks like now. But it is no perfect yet. When it will be, we'll share everything. Two drivers, two acoustical filters(lo and high pass, cross over point around 180hz) , no dampers (roll of below 30hz due to bad seal):
Zrzut-ekranu-2019-08-7-o-14-54-37.png

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
Aug 7, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #9,747 of 16,011
I imagined you are trying to do something like a transmission line for IEM

Well... kind of, but not exactly.

There are few concepts:
First one was what we have started with. One driver design with bass enhancement using long back vent tube connected inside resonator to the spout tube. Surprisingly we realized, that we can use it also as high pass acoustical filter that controls mids. So it started a creative process. Second concept is to add second driver with lo pass damper less filter (long printed spirale) . So we get two-way setup without electrical filters and dampers. Then - well, we'll se what it brings. We are thinking about electrostatic tweeter. The listening feelings are funnily positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JEHL
Back