Home-Made IEMs
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #7,397 of 16,031
Lacking the patience or skills to make my own shells, I had counted on the availability of quality SLA-printed shells from Luke at Vibro Labs while I researched the driver recipe I wanted for my first DIY customs. Long story short, I went back to his DIY earphone store a couple days ago and he's no longer offering the shells! Sooo...anybody know of another source for SLA-printed shells?

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #7,398 of 16,031
Lacking the patience or skills to make my own shells, I had counted on the availability of quality SLA-printed shells from Luke at Vibro Labs while I researched the driver recipe I wanted for my first DIY customs. Long story short, I went back to his DIY earphone store a couple days ago and he's no longer offering the shells! Sooo...anybody know of another source for SLA-printed shells?
There's some on Shapeways, this one is by one of forum members (I believe):
https://www.shapeways.com/product/BUTQDRFEA/earphone-shells-op2?optionId=63577542&li=marketplace

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #7,399 of 16,031
I could print you a pair, but you’re so far though, I am in Europe...

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #7,400 of 16,031
There's some on Shapeways, this one is by one of forum members (I believe):
https://www.shapeways.com/product/BUTQDRFEA/earphone-shells-op2?optionId=63577542&li=marketplace

Haha that is indeed my design. Feel free to ask any questions or PM for the sldpprt/stl files if you have a local printer/want to fiddle around.

Also, someone (probably another forum member here) gave me a very good idea of incorporating screws to be used instead of adhesives, for more tuning flexibility, I'll be working on those in July or so (busy with school for now). I'm also considering increasing BA slots for another TWFK/SWFK, RAB, or BK.

May 1, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #7,402 of 16,031
Hi. I have som GV drivers and will start my first build. I have a question regarding tubing and dampers; I have Ø2mm/1,2mm and Ø3mm/2mm tubing. Some recommend 1,2mm only to connect to the drivers and then 2mm for the rest (Vibro) and others use 2mm only for the damper (1,2 - 2 - 1,2) what are your experiences?

May 1, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #7,403 of 16,031
Hi. I have som GV drivers and will start my first build. I have a question regarding tubing and dampers; I have Ø2mm/1,2mm and Ø3mm/2mm tubing. Some recommend 1,2mm only to connect to the drivers and then 2mm for the rest (Vibro) and others use 2mm only for the damper (1,2 - 2 - 1,2) what are your experiences?

I wanna know that too, from what I've read the bigger the tube diameter, more highs you will have, but I don't have much experience in that. I would also like to know how everyone go about testing the best damper for each driver, where to place them for easy change and etc..

May 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #7,404 of 16,031
you could try to add a layer on the bottom of the impressions and then wax it. then use it has a mold. it would give you some height.
shape the bottom part with blue tak (although it doesn't stick well to silicone impressions. it depends on the brand). another choice would be to use some glazing compound like DAP 33. I know many guys use it in the industry for the same task.

Thats a good hint! Ive tried this with some Play Doh but without a good result :wink:

This week ive got 2 new sets of Impressions. One set to play with and one goes to Custom Arts :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #7,407 of 16,031

Even though that's from Sonion you can get some idea from the measurements: https://cymbacavum.com/2014/03/26/sonions-acupass-technology-making-things-easier-for-everyone/2/

I personally like to use 1.2 - 2 for highs *spoiler* and the woofer if you're going to use red/yellow or higher damper shouldn't be a problem.

Xuw2a7P.jpg

--

Guys, I've been seeing a lot of builds using Knowles dampers backward I'd imagine that cause an influence in the resonances peaks but I don't know exactly the effect, does anyone has a measurement about that?

I'm using dampers like that:
1891344.jpg

May 6, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #7,409 of 16,031
Posted this in the InEarz Custom Remold Owners Thread, but reposting in here as the DIY crowd seem to pretty much be the most knowledgeable folks on the board when it comes to CIEMs and possible building flaws--and the knowledge gleaned here will most certainly apply to my own custom builds.

So I had a pair of TF10s reshelled at the end of last year before InEarz got out of the reshelling biz. They turned out fantastic, and I'm mostly happy with them. Mostly.
The fit was fine for the most part, though after a few months with them I think the ear canals are a bit too long and are pushing against bone. My main issue with them is that when performing, the highs get muffled as my jaw articulates, despite having used a bite block when my impressions were made. Both IEMs suffer from it, though it's more pronounced with the right one. The problem, I *think*, is that instead of being aimed at my eardrum, the sound tube for the tweeter is pointed pretty much into the wall of my ear canal. Were it the low/mid tube I don't think I'd have much of an issue but with the highs, they pretty much need a clear shot at my eardrum, right?

Thinking this is worth asking InEarz to redo them, just wanted to run it by the hive mind here to see if I'm off base.

IMG_7100.jpg Photo May 06, 04 15 35.jpg Photo May 06, 04 15 24.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #7,410 of 16,031
The problem, I *think*, is that instead of being aimed at my eardrum, the sound tube for the tweeter is pointed pretty much into the wall of my ear canal. Were it the low/mid tube I don't think I'd have much of an issue but with the highs, they pretty much need a clear shot at my eardrum, right?

Thinking this is worth asking InEarz to redo them, just wanted to run it by the hive mind here to see if I'm off base.

That is not the problem.

PS: I also replied to your earlier post about 3d printed shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back