Home-Made IEMs
Apr 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4,576 of 15,974

Thanks again for the tip on putting the mould in the oven. It took a few tries to get the result I wanted (once I figured out how to compensate for the gel contracting during cooling), but it worked great. A perfect cast with very few bubbles.

I took a picture comparing the mould I used for my first set of IEMs alongside the new one. The air bubbles in the first one made for a lot of extra time and work fixing the shells. I cannot wait to see what the new shells will look like...

Edit: The shells came out perfect. Almost no bubbles, clear, and fit perfectly first try. Build time has significantly dropped from the first set already. Less than 2 days to re-mould and cast good shells, as opposed to 3 to 4 weeks the first time.

Awesome!!!  So glad it worked out for you!  What did you use for a investment mold? 

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,578 of 15,974

Awesome!!!  So glad it worked out for you!  What did you use for a investment mold? 

I suspended the impressions in a small glass, a little bigger than a shot glass.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #4,579 of 15,974
Im making a IEM, but here the BAs are very expensive and hard to find. Im thinking in buying a IE800 speaker (Aliexpress) and put in the shell. What do you think? IE800 or Vsonic VSD5 speakers? Can i put 2 dynamic speakers as a dual driver? Tks!

Apr 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4,580 of 15,974
I think that paying around 80-100$ for good drivers from a know brand isn't excessive since you will probably spend many hours and a lot of search and effort to get your shells done right. So, if you spend 20-40 hours on your project and they sound so-so, you may regret. But maybe that there are some good alternatives for cheap I don't know.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #4,581 of 15,974
  Im making a IEM, but here the BAs are very expensive and hard to find. Im thinking in buying a IE800 speaker (Aliexpress) and put in the shell. What do you think? IE800 or Vsonic VSD5 speakers? Can i put 2 dynamic speakers as a dual driver? Tks!

Dynamic drivers are very hard to get right, you have to play with front and back cavity , you cant just throw any driver and get it right in one try.

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #4,583 of 15,974

Dynamic drivers are very hard to get right, you have to play with front and back cavity , you cant just throw any driver and get it right in one try.

Hmmm.... yes.....try telling that to FutureSonics - my $750 MG6 Pro was attrociously-bad:

Originally Posted by shotgunshane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I noticed that I was also experiencing a lot of harshness and an echo effect that made them very fatiguing to listen too.

I received a great fitting pair of MG6Pros in late April but unfortunately the issue of the harshness and echo effect, from the beginning, was still there.  

The harshness and echo effect I was hearing seemed to be coming from the 2k and 3.5k ~4k areas.  It was explained to me that Future Sonics has some peaks in the frequency response there to help balance the overall sound presentation out with the bass response.  My sensitivity to these peaks seems to be greater than most, as Future Sonics has never had anyone complain about a harshness.  It causes the tops of vocals and edges of guitars to become painful, fatiguing and ‘echoey’, which obscures details.

Upon sending them in for the 3rd time, along with some music tracks so that the techs and owner could hear what I was hearing, it was decided to rebuild and replace the components (which they do on any rebuild), to rule out any other possible attributing factors.  I’m doubtful the Future Sonics staff was able to hear what I was hearing but they assured me the last set had passed their listening tests for the sound Future Sonics is known for.

I received my MG6Pro for the 4th time in early May.  The harshness, echo effect and blurred treble detail remain.

It bears repeating, that to my knowledge, I am the only one to experience the harshness, echoey and blurring effects I’ve described in my review.  It’s also not typical to discuss how an earphone sounds after EQ in a review but due to the apparent resonance issues I have with the Future Sonics tuning, I felt it important to bring this into the discussion.

Edit: Since the original writing of this review, I have received PM's from 4 to 5 other mg6pro owners confirming that they too hear issues similar to what I've described, albeit to differing levels.

It may sound as if I don’t like the MG6Pro and that would be true, due to the issues I am hearing.  I simply cannot listen to them un-EQ’d for any length of time but I do find I can enjoy them once the peaks are taken away.  The stock tuning is sadly disappointing and, in my opinion, tragically flawed. 

Yes, I too experience an 'echoey' peak, occasionally, on my pair of MG6s. My personal take on this is that I suspect it may, perhaps, relate to a resonant frequency of the large single bore soundtube (anyone who has experience of building their own bass-reflex loudspeakers will be familiar with the kind of 'honk' peak that can occur with a less-than-optimal port implementation). Whether or not the MG6 Pro actually functions as a miniature bass-reflex speaker (inadvertently or otherwise) is debatable, given that the majority of the DD diaphragm is not directly exposed to the outside world; just a tiny user-removable 'port' grommet, and, at the other end of the CIEM chamber, the canal nozzle/'port'. Therefore, I'm not specifically stating that I consider the MG6 Pro to be functioning in a bass-reflex manner, per sē - I'm simply saying that the 'peak' sound can occasionally sound somewhat-reminiscent of a poorly-implemented bass-reflex port on a conventional fullsize loudspeaker.

There is, perhaps, a greater likelihood that the 'peak' sound might relate to a standing-wave within the chamber of the shell - it is notable that BA-based designs have sound tubes conveying all output directly to the ear canal nozzle of the CIEM, with no interaction possible within the main chamber of the shell. Even hybrid designs, using DD woofer and BA mids/treble may employ a tube, of sorts, to gather the DD output and convey it as directly as possible to the ear canal nozzle, avoiding interaction with the main shell chamber. Additionally, such hybrid designs do not permit the DD to produce any significant audible output in the upper midband, where the MG6 Pro's 'peak' seems to manifest itself.

Every pair of CIEMs is, by virtue of being customised to the shape of each customer's ears, unique in it's size and shape, and therefore the size and the shape of the inner chamber will always vary from one customer to the next. I view this as a major flaw in the design of the MG6 Pro. You would never see a loudspeaker manufacturer using identical drivers and crossovers but arbitrarily changing the dimensions and volume of the L/S cabinet for each consecutive pair rolling off the production line, with no consideration for the variability of interactions between the drivers and the cabinets. There would be uproar and derision.

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #4,584 of 15,974
This is quite interesting. Although I don't own a MG6, the Chinese IEM community seems to love this one with great passion.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #4,585 of 15,974
  This is quite interesting. Although I don't own a MG6, the Chinese IEM community seems to love this one with great passion.

It's the worst audio purchase I've ever made.

It's the most hassle I've ever had dealing with an audio product/company.

Never have I been so substantially misled by any head-fier (see link, below).

I can see its robustness has some merit for stage-use, but the MG6 Pro has the most uneven and unnatural frequency response of any audio product I've ever owned, and I just cannot understand why any audiophile would rave about it (in fact, I am now suspicious of it). The fundamental lack of consistency in the CIEM shell volume surely doesn't help this, but I was told (after purchase) by the designer himself that the DD is deliberately tuned with a tapered treble response, as a result of feedback from performers requesting less-fatigue for long duration usage on stage, at high SPLs.

On a more uplifting note, I was intrigued to read about the unusual driver configuration in the following IEM:

www.head-fi.org/products/obravo-erib-2a/reviews/15724

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #4,586 of 15,974
Haha, well the preferences over there seems very different from here. Many of them don't like BA IEMs, nor the BA sounding IE800. So they really like the MG6 as it provides a comfortable sound that is not fatiguing.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #4,587 of 15,974

On a more uplifting note, I was intrigued to read about the unusual driver configuration in the following IEM:

www.head-fi.org/products/obravo-erib-2a/reviews/15724

Oh I heard those at CanJam. You can shot me an email if you want my honest opinion
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #4,588 of 15,974
I like DD

I also like BA

MG6 Pro isn't bad because it's DD.

I agree with what MuZo2 said:

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,589 of 15,974
I'm not saying they're a good DD since I've never heard it before. I'm just saying they're one of the #1 recommended CIEMs for ppl who want a comfortable sound in the Chinese forums, which I find weird. For me I really like the clarity of the BAs.

Side note: I remember I heard O'Bravo's headphones at the HK AV show once. Not sure which model. Didn't like it.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,590 of 15,974
Just made a new 3 driver universal.

And a new 7 driver one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back