Home-Made IEMs
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,996 of 16,107
I see...so that is why my WBFK and ED combinations always show phase cancelling despite me wiring them correctly. On ARTA is there anyway to test for phase? 

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,997 of 16,107
  ED is much better for mids than TWFK. It's lusher and can sound more natural. I find TWFK mids always a bit too thin, but they are nice and airy on the other hand - so it's a bit of trade off.
ED+WBFK may not work phase-wise I've seen some combination of those drivers and they always suffered from some kind of phase canceling so I would say it requires good crossover and combination with other drivers that would sum up to flat phase.

As for HODVTEC+CI - for me it would be WAY too much. I like bass but that would be too much for my taste. It would require some clever crossover like wiring HODVTEC and CI in opposite phases to cancel the mid bass hump and leave with boosted bass from HODVTEC after 100Hz and considerably lower output level that would match ED and WBFK nicely.
Such design can be found in some of the IEMs (some considered TOTL 2 years ago).

If you say it's possible then I'm definitely trying this out as I've already tested a pretty decent 2nd order filter on the CI that gives it only a very sub-bass kick, but then DTEC wasn't enough to drive mids. Someone suggested swapping them and I'm pretty happy with the combination, but IMO mids are just 1-2 dB too lacking at the moment with my current CI/DTEC/WBFK combo.

I'll try out a HODVTEC/CI/ED/WBFK combo then, I should be able to deal with the crossovers.

Also, any other drivers suitable for highs other than WBFK? I haven't seen anything other than the new SFWK that has that kind of high frequency extension.

Could you give examples of which IEM I should look for, and also, post the link to this list of drivers in IEMs which I saw once but can't seem to track down after searching for awhile :).

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #1,998 of 16,107
  I see...so that is why my WBFK and ED combinations always show phase cancelling despite me wiring them correctly. On ARTA is there anyway to test for phase? 

AFAIK someone suggested just driving them with the polarity switched to see if the dip goes away for simpler crossovers. You have 5 drivers so it might take awhile to work through all the combinations :D.

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,999 of 16,107
Eh that shouldn't work o.O If there's a mismatch I'd imagine switching polarity to only work for multiple drivers. I usually remove a driver from testing to see if the problem still stays. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2,000 of 16,107
Well there're only x*2/2 ways to arrange the polarity, where x is the number of drivers you have, which is 5 in your case. Gonna take sometime to measure them all.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #2,001 of 16,107
I feel like there are three drivers that just phase cancels another one out no matter what phase they're on xD

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,002 of 16,107
Nah, your phase anomalies are just because you accidentally left a chunk of Blu Tack on your measuring mic!
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,003 of 16,107
-.-

But shifting the WBFK position really affects the frequency graph

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,004 of 16,107

The completed HODVTEC+ED+WBFK one!

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,006 of 16,107
They're really clear :p 

Though it's hard to get a good fit on these custom-universal shells. Will try to post a graph tomorrow, its 4am here! There's the phase cancellation problem with WBFK and ED drivers, and a dip at 1k due to the ED crossover being too high.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,007 of 16,107
  They're really clear :p 

Though it's hard to get a good fit on these custom-universal shells. Will try to post a graph tomorrow, its 4am here! There's the phase cancellation problem with WBFK and ED drivers, and a dip at 1k due to the ED crossover being too high.

I didn't realise you had the exact same setup as I planned. :D Can I trouble you for the FR too? 

Do you think it'll benefit from 1) extra ED for mid or 2) extra CI for bass or 3) extra WBFK for highs?

I'm curious to see which area needs reinforcement more since I was thinking of an extra CI to make the bass really kicking.

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #2,008 of 16,107
Still out right now, but i feel another CI would be nice?

Calculating cutoff frequencies...WBFK with 1uf and resistance of 12.5ohms gives me 12kHz. 29689 with 2.2uf and resistance of 3.65ohms gives me...19kHz?!

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,010 of 16,107
Eh no? 2.2uf on ED first order and 1uf on WBFK second order both with white damper. HODVTEC full range with red damper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back