Home-Made IEMs
Jul 21, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #1,981 of 16,107
I tried blutak but it just wouldn't stick strongly enough. The tiny wires I have are quite stiff and can be quite a hassel to get them to solder properly. I usually have to end up covering all the joints with resin to prevent them from coming loose. The tubing affects the peaks of the driver quite greatly I found. Also a small difference in distance from driver to ear can cause massive phase changes :p Thid is quite difficult to work with.

(My ED driver has nothing under 5k so I am sure that is faulty)

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #1,982 of 16,107
I tried blutak but it just wouldn't stick strongly enough.

Maybe you're just not using a big enough chunk of Blu Tack
biggrin.gif

(stupid timing doesn't work properly for the link, so you'll need to skip forwards to 6:40 position in the video)

Fortunately, you won't have an air-head reporter sticking a microphone in your face so you can't see the components you're trying to assemble!
rolleyes.gif

more vids here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit#post_7871678

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #1,983 of 16,107
LOL omg that is a massive piece of blutack. Most annoying thing right now is to solder all the wires onto the socket. One wire solders, the other one comes off...Need to get better wires that can actually twist together.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,984 of 16,107

I flipped the phase of the ED driver didn't I...

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,986 of 16,107
Damn it, thanks :p I have white dampers on them! I think the tubing might have been a liiiiittle too short...With the phase flipped I can't actually hear a problem LOL Maybe slightly incoherent between left and right ear...

For the CI driver, my seller insists that with the engraving facing up, the left is negative and right is positive. But from what I read from the datasheet, that should be true with the engraving facing down? Which one is correct?

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,987 of 16,107
  Damn it, thanks :p I have white dampers on them! I think the tubing might have been a liiiiittle too short...With the phase flipped I can't actually hear a problem LOL Maybe slightly incoherent between left and right ear...

For the CI driver, my seller insists that with the engraving facing up, the left is negative and right is positive. But from what I read from the datasheet, that should be true with the engraving facing down? Which one is correct?

Data sheet.

Code facing down right is possitive

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,988 of 16,107
Don't dwell too much on which pad is negative or positive. Check the pressure at the spout of the driver and try to arrange the drivers so that they are all in phase acoustically. The thing is Sonion & Knowles's naming scheme is different with regard to which pad is negative/positive which would make it very difficult to track cancellations when you do multi-fold designs.

And yeah, always stick to datasheets.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #1,989 of 16,107
My next earphone I will try to use HODVTEC and a CI for bass, but can I get suggestions on a good/small driver to pair with WBFK for mids?

I want to move to a dual bass, 1 mid and 1 high line up, but all separate physical drivers rather than use DTEC for bass. Some possibilities for mid include DWFK and ED series, but I don't know if DWFK is worth the premium over other single drivers for mid.

My plan is to use HODVTEC as the sub sub bass through a 2nd order filter, CI as the bass/low mid, another driver to be decided to handle the 1k-4k range, and WBFK again for the highs. Even dual CIs might work?

The reason being my friend is a basshead, and I think using dual bass drivers will give me sufficient output.

More suggestions? :D

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #1,990 of 16,107
HODVTEC has uber bass output, and its the nice and soft type too. DWFK is the updated TWFK that uses the new SWFK super tweeter with 10db higher output or something right?

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,993 of 16,107
  My next earphone I will try to use HODVTEC and a CI for bass, but can I get suggestions on a good/small driver to pair with WBFK for mids?

I want to move to a dual bass, 1 mid and 1 high line up, but all separate physical drivers rather than use DTEC for bass. Some possibilities for mid include DWFK and ED series, but I don't know if DWFK is worth the premium over other single drivers for mid.

My plan is to use HODVTEC as the sub sub bass through a 2nd order filter, CI as the bass/low mid, another driver to be decided to handle the 1k-4k range, and WBFK again for the highs. Even dual CIs might work?

The reason being my friend is a basshead, and I think using dual bass drivers will give me sufficient output.

More suggestions? :D

I'd suggest you go with TWFK if you want to stick with KA drivers. I don't think there's better small-factor driver for mids from KA range.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #1,994 of 16,107
My main concern is in terms of cost. Does a TWFK outperform a ED series + WBFK in terms of mid-high reproduction? They are not that much different in volume combined, and ED+ WBFK is cheaper to work with.

It feels like the TWFK is the simple option out for those who won't tune mids/highs independently, but cost more.

Any comments on driving both HODVTEC and CI together for bass?

Also MuZo, the HODVTEC are available from digikey now. SWFK still not around.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #1,995 of 16,107
  My main concern is in terms of cost. Does a TWFK outperform a ED series + WBFK in terms of mid-high reproduction? They are not that much different in volume combined, and ED+ WBFK is cheaper to work with.

It feels like the TWFK is the simple option out for those who won't tune mids/highs independently, but cost more.

Any comments on driving both HODVTEC and CI together for bass?

Also MuZo, the HODVTEC are available from digikey now. SWFK still not around.

ED is much better for mids than TWFK. It's lusher and can sound more natural. I find TWFK mids always a bit too thin, but they are nice and airy on the other hand - so it's a bit of trade off.
ED+WBFK may not work phase-wise I've seen some combination of those drivers and they always suffered from some kind of phase canceling so I would say it requires good crossover and combination with other drivers that would sum up to flat phase.

As for HODVTEC+CI - for me it would be WAY too much. I like bass but that would be too much for my taste. It would require some clever crossover like wiring HODVTEC and CI in opposite phases to cancel the mid bass hump and leave with boosted bass from HODVTEC after 100Hz and considerably lower output level that would match ED and WBFK nicely.
Such design can be found in some of the IEMs (some considered TOTL 2 years ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back