Home-Made IEMs
Apr 8, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #15,151 of 16,068
Maybe its because I only purchased 2 of each, but luckily, the pair (7mm) I got seem to be fine apart from a slight variance in impedance that probably due to the capacitor that comes soldered with it. It does seem to want to stick to things though. I think Ill try pairing them with the dual rab from e audio and see what I can do from there.
I forgot about this sony ba I scavenged a while back. It just so happens to extend from 1khz to 9khz without any significant dips. Conveniently its also small enough that I can place it far enough away from the 7mm without sticking to it. Seems pretty promising so far.

Attachments

• B5749D76-E063-4AA7-B3E8-C91D76EBA92A.jpeg
    B5749D76-E063-4AA7-B3E8-C91D76EBA92A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #15,156 of 16,068
how do you guys heat up the wax for dipping? i accidently heated it up to 250c so im clueless
i also would like to know what you use for meassuring the temperture
Wax pots. but you can also put them in a stainless steel container, water in a main pot, then submerge the stainless container in water, bring water to boil.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #15,157 of 16,068
Quick question about balanced armature coil winding. For drivers that can be wired as "half coil" or that have a "center tap," how is the coil physically wired?

Two separate strands, or single continuous strand with a tap near the middle of the coil?

2354 and 29689 I think both have this center tap option, but any example driver could be used.

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #15,158 of 16,068
Quick question about balanced armature coil winding. For drivers that can be wired as "half coil" or that have a "center tap," how is the coil physically wired?

Two separate strands, or single continuous strand with a tap near the middle of the coil?

2354 and 29689 I think both have this center tap option, but any example driver could be used.
|~~|~~|
- .. CT.. +
Visual representation of the coil wold be something like above. | is coil leg and ~~ is a section of the coil.
Center tap was originally developed for push-pull applications where AB amplifier is using Center Tap as a sort of zero position and then driving + to flex the diaphragm up and - to drive the diaphragm down basically increasing available movement of diaphragm (SPL)
For pro-audio designers figured that they can use half of the coil only by wiring CT and + or CT and - (depending on desired polarity for proper crossover point) and decrease the impedance load on high frequencies by half - which in theory should translate to more SPL at high frequencies but it's not that simple. Sometimes going too low with impedance will have the opposite effect where amplifier would have a problem to driver such a low load.
2354 doesn't have Center Tap - you're thinking 2389.

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #15,160 of 16,068
So here's one possibly very dumb idea inspired by qdc and also thanks to AmericanSpirit for the idea.
graph.png

The Quarter-wavelength target.

1. Find the frequency that matches the wavelength between the driver(s) and your eardrums somehow. I used an online tone generator to find that mine is somewhere around 9.5kHz for my BLON BL-03.
2. Divide that frequency by 4 (9500/4=2375)
3. At each quarter of that frequency apply peak, dip, peak, dip. As shown in red.

Well I called it a target but this is more of a modification to whatever existing target may be your preference, as well as the amplitudes of said peaks and dips.

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #15,161 of 16,068
Hows it going guys, im pretty new here but am ready to get to it !

I have a couple questions if anyone could point me in the right direction that be great !

Anyone know of any good resources to begin studying frequency response and impedance ? I have a hard time understanding how resistors and capacitors affect sound curves. I am planning on getting a test mic soon if anyone has any recommendations.

I have already built a pair of the classic GV-32830 and it was a really rewarding experience. The highs were a little sharp but the iems fit like a glove ! Is there a pinned thread with some common Knowles driver configs ? Or does anyone have any recommendations for a 3 driver (low-mid-high) all Knowles driver set up.

Sorry for the noob questions just looking to get in on the action and could use some insight !

Thanks !

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #15,162 of 16,068
Hows it going guys, im pretty new here but am ready to get to it !

I have a couple questions if anyone could point me in the right direction that be great !

Anyone know of any good resources to begin studying frequency response and impedance ? I have a hard time understanding how resistors and capacitors affect sound curves. I am planning on getting a test mic soon if anyone has any recommendations.

I have already built a pair of the classic GV-32830 and it was a really rewarding experience. The highs were a little sharp but the iems fit like a glove ! Is there a pinned thread with some common Knowles driver configs ? Or does anyone have any recommendations for a 3 driver (low-mid-high) all Knowles driver set up.

Sorry for the noob questions just looking to get in on the action and could use some insight !

Thanks !
CI + TWFK

Apr 13, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #15,165 of 16,068
Hey all, I'm sure some of you have seen the new Blessing 3 dual DD configuration. Has anyone tried this? Could two normal DDs be used like this? Cheers

EDIT: Sorry, I was not reading properly. I think the coil is in the middle of the two DDs, so it is one DD coil pulling both diaphragms towards it. However, what would happen if you did put two normal DDs firing at each other? Would most of the sound be cancelled out, but with the change in air pressure being blown into your ear?

1681370253905.png
1681370341779.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back