HOME-Fi????
Dec 7, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #46 of 64
Best speakers in the world? - no contest IMO - big MBL Radialstrahlers.

.............. I just wish I could afford them - and the amps needed to drive them - and a big enough room to put them in
frown.gif

.... my heart is set on a smaller pair - these still sound wonderful!
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #48 of 64
I think you just need to read a lot, as in for years on end (Audiogon and Audio Asylum). Then audition as many speakers that you think might fit properly into your room environment, then buy the one that makes the most sense to you.

There is no one universal answer in terms of what is "best", and even if there was, everything is subject to change with new product developments. MBL is coming out with "new" ultimate reference speakers at the CES in Vegas on Jan 8th-11th. I hope this doesn't make me think that my 101Es suck all of a sudden.

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #49 of 64
I think you just need to read a lot, as in for years on end (Audiogon and Audio Asylum). Then audition as many speakers that you think might fit properly into your room environment, then buy the one that makes the most sense to you.

There is no one universal answer in terms of what is "best", and even if there was, everything is subject to change with new product developments. MBL is coming out with "new" ultimate reference speakers at the CES in Vegas on Jan 8th-11th (don't know the model number). I hope this doesn't make me think that my 101Es suck all of a sudden.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #51 of 64
The LSis imho are rubbish. At used prices they're decent all rounders but don't expect to get anything near reference quality sound from them, especially through a receiver. At full retail, you're doing yourself a disfavor by purchasing them over something else. They are not very resolving, the have a really nasty mid-bass bloat like the HD650s, that throws a veil over the low-mid range and the highs just aren't well defined. Soundstaging is pretty decent but imaging is smeared. Overall, I would not recommend any one of Polks LSi offerings at retail price. At used prices, they are decent but it still isn't very hard to find something better in those respective price points. Just IMHO of course.

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #52 of 64
Hummer, I suggest you order a pair of LSi 9s from Crutchfield (great return policy, and free Polk sub w/ order I believe), let the break in for about 50-100 hours and then let your ears decide if you like them or not.

As far as amp? The more the better. Maybe a Rotel 1080?

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LSis imho are rubbish. At used prices they're decent all rounders but don't expect to get anything near reference quality sound from them, especially through a receiver. At full retail, you're doing yourself a disfavor by purchasing them over something else.

At a similar price point, what do you contend is better? The wiser choice?

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #55 of 64
For the price of the LSi9s and for bookshelfs, I would rather buy the Klipsch RB-81s, the Epos M-5s, the Omega Super 3s, the Totem Acoustic Rainmakers, or the Von Schweikert VR-1s. For floorstanders, I would rather purchase the Monitor Audio Silver RS6s, the Omega XRSs, the Klipsch RF-82s, B&W 603 S3s, Thiel 2.2s, etc. The under $1k range is heavily populated and this is just imho, but I feel the Lsis just don't cut it.

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by hummer26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I know what a Reciver is for and an amp, but why would you need to get a pre-amp?

A receiver is basically an amp and a preamp all in one unit. A preamp receives all the inputs, the gain (volume) control, and out puts the signal to the amp, which amplifies the signal to drive the speakers.

Make sense?

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price of the LSi9s and for bookshelfs, I would rather buy the Klipsch RB-81s, the Epos M-5s, the Omega Super 3s, the Totem Acoustic Rainmakers, or the Von Schweikert VR-1s. For floorstanders, I would rather purchase the Monitor Audio Silver RS6s, the Omega XRSs, the Klipsch RF-82s, B&W 603 S3s, Thiel 2.2s, etc. The under $1k range is heavily populated and this is just imho, but I feel the Lsis just don't cut it.

Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. Of the speakers you've listed, I've only heard the Klipsch and the B&W. Personally, I would take the LSi over them every day of the week.

I love the tweeter in the LSi. I think its incredible. Anyways, we all have our own opinions. I do agree with you about there being a lot of competition in that price point.

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by hummer26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I know what a Reciver is for and an amp, but why would you need to get a pre-amp?

Preamp provides variable voltage gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back