HOME-Fi????
Dec 6, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New models since I checked their price at my local dealer.
But one model comparable in size to the 1000i (75in hight) did cost $10,000.

cool.gif

Is it just me, or are electrostatic/ribbon speakers not as expensive as their dynamic cousins? Just looking at top-of-the-range full-range single planars/hybrids, the Magnepan 20.1 retails for $15k and can be had for much less (probably about $13k). The Martin Logan Summit starts off at $10k base + options. Now this 1000i for a cool $10k. It's a lot of money, but not as much as what some large dynamics cost.

EDIT: forgot the Apogee Grands, which were around $90k
tongue.gif
Ok, even so, they're still 'cheap' compared to, for example, a VR-11.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #32 of 64
I voted 'other.' Im a big fan of Ohm speakers. Not too many people are familiar with them, but those that are generally really like them. The company reminds me a lot of Grado. Basically the same mentality (customer centered, repeat business, etc), both located in NY, and both have a small but dedicated customer base.
Everytime Ive contacted Ohm, I spoke directly to the founder/owner/ceo, which I think is impressive.
They've been around for years now (30+ or so) and are one of my favorite audio companies.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #33 of 64
I picked other. There are many great speakers you are missing. I spent a ton of time auditioning high end speakers in the last 2 years, and settled on Epiphanys and TACT w210s for my 2.2. channel and Egglestons for my 5.1. Egglestons simply provide the most transparent and balanced sound I have heard and the Epiphanys coupled with W210s have the best dynamics and soundstage I have heard. I will be replacing my 7' 12-12s for the 10ft 20-21s. I also like B&Ws and Merlins.
SBR.jpg
DSC01162r.jpg

As far as preamps go, there is no better preamp for a digital front end than the TACT preamps. Forget all those high end brands b/c none of them will make the kind of differences the TACT pieces and their dynamic room correction can do, as is evident by these pictures of an uncorrected and corrected response curves:
TACT2r.jpg
TACT1r.jpg

As far as sources go, I'm an Esoteric guy. Can't resist their aesthetic appeal:
Resized_DSC00927.jpg
Resized_DSC00926.jpg

With amps, I don't really care so much as long as they are transparent and have lots of power. My TACT preamps do more to affect the sound than any amp could. I do like the aesthetics of the LAMM amps and Pass Labs amps.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #35 of 64
Beautiful stuff Sleestack. I'm sure you'll grace us with impressive pictures of the 20-21s when they arrive! At $25-27k There are literally boatloads of choices. What made you go for the 20-21s?

All the gear you have is not readily available in Hong Kong! Neither Eggleston nor Epiphany have dealers here... unfair. Someday, I'd love to hear the Epiphany 20-21 or the 12-12s. They look very impressive. Luckily, there are plenty of other brands to satisfy audiophiles with budgets of all sizes.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 64
You're missing many speaker brands there!!

I have moulidine at home, they're french mad and use Focal drivers.

They sound great with my father's Sonic frontiers integrated tube amp and the meridien 506. Kimber 8TC speaker cables.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful stuff Sleestack. I'm sure you'll grace us with impressive pictures of the 20-21s when they arrive! At $25-27k There are literally boatloads of choices. What made you go for the 20-21s?

All the gear you have is not readily available in Hong Kong! Neither Eggleston nor Epiphany have dealers here... unfair. Someday, I'd love to hear the Epiphany 20-21 or the 12-12s. They look very impressive. Luckily, there are plenty of other brands to satisfy audiophiles with budgets of all sizes.

I really love what line source speakers can do and the Epiphany's are ideal for my 2.2. setup b/c their real strength is in the mids and highs. If I was using a 2.0 setup I might go with a line source that aslo has lower woofers.

Many Epiphany 20-21s are actually sold to buyers in Singapore and Shanghai from what I understand. They just love those 10 ft speakers over there.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #38 of 64
For my HT I use Polk speakers. They sound great, and offer an exceptional value. If I were to go balls out for a HT setup, I would go with the top of the line Martin Logans at the moment.

For 2 channel I use Carver Amazings. They are no longer made anymore, but they sound incredible. They are appropriately named. The best two channel system I have personally heard to date was Wilson Sophias. They were just spectactular. After listening to them I was genuinely trying to justify spending $16000 on them.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #39 of 64
I like the look of the Polk LSi's but I cant find a dealer close to me that I can give them a test spin. Does any one have any exp. with these? How they stack up compared to others in it's class and price? I think the LSi 25's go for about 2,500-2,700 a pair. Cause I'm looking around that price for front's and then what ever the rest go for. Prices range from the places that I've seen online. But again if anyone has any exp. with these let me know what you though.

-Steve.

x700lsi25cfmtrw0.jpg

x107lsi9cfmtej5.jpg

x107lsicntrf2la1.jpg

x107lsifxfmtsm9.jpg

x107psw1kcbll4.jpg

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #40 of 64
Side note: The reson I was thinking about polk was I have a low to mid priced system now, and I dont have the backing to go all-out yet and spend uber cash on loudspeakers and amps and what not. so maybe 10-12k for every thing: reciver, 5.1/7.1 speaker setup, dvd changer, blu ray or hd-dvd, cable's, and maybe a new TV(not sure, since I have a pretty new big screen now {51" HDTV} and what ever elce I cant remeber right now)

-Steve

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #41 of 64
Hummer, I am very familiar with the LSis from Polk. What type of amplification will you be providing for them? They require a good deal of power. That is the first thing you need to address before considering them.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you check out the forums at polkaudio.com there is a TON and TON of information and opinions on the LSi series.

Thanks alot, never would have though they would of had that on there site! very cool.
k1000smile.gif

For power I was thinking about maybe Harman/Kardon AVR745(http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...%20745&sType=C) or Sony
DA100ES(http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE..._HiFiReceivers) reciver, with poss. some sort of amp if needed, had my eye on the monster cable amps they have a slick 5.1 set up you can see them here (http://www.monstercable.com/power/lineAmps.asp)

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #44 of 64
If you are going for the LSis, you are going to want to use seperates. You will want, and owe it to the speakers, to use a preamp with a dedicated power amp. Using an AVR would be like driving a Ferrari, but not driving it faster than 25 mph. Also, they are 4 ohm speakers, and as such need a good high current amp. Some users of the LSis have mentioned positive results with the Outlaw pre/amp combo as their entry level setup for HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back