home bookshelf system
Jun 10, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cage85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait a while and save up more money. If you're an audiophile, 500USD isn't gonna get you anything that you'll be happy with in the long run. You'll get the upgrade bug much too soon!

i don't know if this is necceasrily true

my sony ce595, entech number cruncher, little dot II+ and grado SR 60's sounded phenomenal for a $500 set up

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 21
Audio Engine 5's would probably be what you're looking for. They're powered with a 45W RMSx2 internal amp. Just plug in your 1/8" mini jack from your Ipod or laptop and you're ready to go. They also have a built in USB charging point for your Ipod's dock connector to charge while playing.

I have a pair and they're very good for the price. If you'd like I am actually selling mine for 220$ plus shipping.

www.audioengineusa.com is their site if you want to take a look at them.

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #18 of 21
i actually may just go with the klipsch promedia 2.1 setup, but how would i go about connecting an turntable? don't computer speakers terminate with a 1/8 inch plug?

any suggestions on cheap chinese tube amps? that sounds rather intriguing.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually may just go with the klipsch promedia 2.1 setup, but how would i go about connecting an turntable? don't computer speakers terminate with a 1/8 inch plug?

any suggestions on cheap chinese tube amps? that sounds rather intriguing.

I think you'll need a preamp with a phono input to connect your turntable otherwise the signal is too weak.

If I were you, I'd forget about the turntable and spend as much as you can on the speakers and receiver/amp. Then you'll have enough to hook up your ipod and cd/dvd player all while being able to enjoy them to their fullest.

The turntable can come later if you haven't beought one already.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #20 of 21
just wondering... how might av123 x-ls speakers sound out of a t-amp? they're rated at 87db, but the t-amp is suggested for >90db

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 21
Probably not very satisfying. The T-amp has great sound at very low power levels, but the distortion increases dramatically as you get closer to its maximum rated power. Forget the t-amp and buy something else used if you're serious about your sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back