home bookshelf system
Jun 8, 2007 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
so i've been dabbling in head-fi for a while, but i finally got a job and an apartment, so i'm thinking about building a simple and cheap bookshelf system. unfortunately, i don't know the first thing about components. can anyone tell me what i need?

here's what i've settled on so far-
-insignia NS-B2111 or av123 x-ls speakers
-vintage pioneer turntable
-perhaps one of those cheap dvd/cd players headfiers are always raving about

now, i was thinking about getting a cheap but sturdy all-in-one receiver, so i can connect my ipod or laptop through the input jack. i know people here don't really like the receivers, but does anyone have any recommendations? i prob don't want to spend over 200 bucks on the receiver.

if i don't get a receiver, what would i need? a pre-amp and an amp? again, sorry, i know nothing about components.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 21
You have several options for driving your speakers. You can buy a receiver like you mentioned or you can buy a preamp (control amplifier) and stereo amp (power amplifier).

A receiver is basically a preamp, amp, tuner, and depending on model, surround processor all in one. It's an all in one solution making it convenient but leaves out the option of upgrading components.

You could alternatively by an integrated amplifier, which is a combination of the control amp (preamp) and power amp. Basically a receiver minus the fancy features.

Your preamp allows you to hook up multiple sources, switch between them, and control the volume what you're listening to. You can hook your ipod straight up to the preamp with a dock or cable. Additionally, your preamp may also provide tone controls. Your power amp takes the low power amplified signal from the preamp and then amplifies that signal enough to drive your speakers.

Going with seperate components allows you to pick and choose what you want. It's more flexible and allows you the option of upgrading individual components. Need a more powerful amp later on? just replace what you have. No need to buy everything over again.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 21
any suggestions for components in my price range? i was looking at the Jolida 1501, but i think it may be a little pricey...

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 21
A receiver gives you digital input options if you want to connect things like DVD players, cable boxes, sound cards, and will decode many different audio formats, and it also gives you bass management if you want to add a sub later. I went with a receiver for that extra flexible for input sources. If you don't need that, just go for an integrated amp like a Pioneer A35R

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 21
Unless you really want to dive into HIFI equipment and seperates, I would buy a receiver. And definitely buy used. More bang for the buck.

I can't tell you what models to buy since I obviously haven't heard everything out there. You're better off getting brand recommendations from fellow audio people and working off what you can afford.

I wouldn't worry too much about digital inputs and whatnot. The DAC in whatever you buy at that price range isn't going to do anything justice. Decoding formats isn't going to be too much of an issue if you're just going to stick to a stereo setup. By the time you decide to go multi channel, you'll want something better anyway.

In fact, I would just leave out the tuner capability and just buy an integrated amp or amp/preamp combo from a respectable brand over anything flashy from a sketchy manufacturer. If you're just going to hook up your ipod and cd/dvd player, that'll be fine until you decide to upgrade.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 21
You can be very happy with a nice budget 2.0 speaker setup.

I'm not sure what your total budget is, but I can say that I am very happy with my little speaker setup. Little Denon Receiver, and 2 B&W 601 S3 speakers.
The receiver is about 300$us, and the pair of speakers is 380$us. Throw in a few cables, and for 720$ I am very impressed with what I got.

Although you did not list B&W speakers as one of your options, you may want to see if any of your high end audio dealers has them on display. For the price they are nice speakers, or at least I think.

Keep us posted!

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can be very happy with a nice budget 2.0 speaker setup.

I'm not sure what your total budget is, but I can say that I am very happy with my little speaker setup. Little Denon Receiver, and 2 B&W 601 S3 speakers.
The receiver is about 300$us, and the pair of speakers is 380$us. Throw in a few cables, and for 720$ I am very impressed with what I got.

Although you did not list B&W speakers as one of your options, you may want to see if any of your high end audio dealers has them on display. For the price they are nice speakers, or at least I think.

Keep us posted!

B&W while nice, is very pricey. At that price range, you could find much more for your money with other brands. Go used and your options open up even further. Just keep in mind you don't have to spend a lot to get great sound.

My stereo setup retails at $3500+. That doesn't mean I paid that much for it.
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 21
You could get this Onkyo receiver for $119 through club Onkyo. What is nice about this is if you want to ever add a sub to your system it has bass management abilities where as most stereo receivers do not. Not to mention if you want to go the HT route you already have a unit that is capable to do so.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 21
Here's my suggestion for an inexpensive but killer system:

Apple Airport Express ($100 new) to stream music from your laptop.
Benchmark DAC1 ($775 used)
Mackie HR624Mk2 ($900 pair new) self powered speakers, with built in amp
Cables from Blue Jeans ($80) for XLR connectors and toslink
Vibrapod Cones ($50 for 6) to place under your speakers

For $1,905, you'll end up with a great setup. Additional options:

DVD player ($100) so you can play your CDs or DVDs through the system
PS Audio UPC 200 power conditioner ($225 used)

The above basically what I put together recently for a second system and I'm very pleased with the results.

However if you expect any analog input (turntable), this will not work for you.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 21
Omega Mini-Me's for about 400$. You can use these off most of the higher headphone amps since they are so efficient.

From; http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/products.html

The Mini-Me speakers are not listed but still available by request.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #12 of 21
haha uhh... i'm a college student making $7 an hour. when i meant cheap, i meant very[/I] cheap. i'm not planning to spend much more than $500 on the entire system.

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 21
Why noy get a klipsch IFI 2.1 system? and spend the rest on a good source or music. that's usable with you headphones too? A squeezebox/soundcard or nice CDP. Or some good CD's/ LP's.

Speaker setups are very difficult to get right, if you get something like the klipsch you can be sure there's enough bass and they are easy to place. They only go for 180 dlr refurbished I think.

Another option is to get a nice chinese tube amp + some cheapo speakers... Tube amps are able to make cheap speakers sound very nice and you could get something better when you're ready for it.

Anyway, just some advice from someone with a 7,50 dlr an hour paycheck.

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha uhh... i'm a college student making $7 an hour. when i meant cheap, i meant very cheap. i'm not planning to spend much more than $500 on the entire system.[/i]

Wait a while and save up more money. If you're an audiophile, 500USD isn't gonna get you anything that you'll be happy with in the long run. You'll get the upgrade bug much too soon!

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 21
I've been looking at getting a bookshelf system for a while but didn't really find anything that made me happy....so I'm building one with the help of a friend
smily_headphones1.gif
I will second the onkyo receiver deal though, they work really well for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back