Holy Crap, Batman!
Jan 31, 2007 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Stabgotham

New Head-Fier
I waas told to come to Head-Fi to do some research before purchasing a new set of headphones that will be almost 100% for competitive online gaming. I have read tons of threads and reviews and I am absolutely atounded by the amount of information out there and by the knowledge that you all posess. With that said, I'm now more clueless then ever.

I'm not sure even which brand to purchase now. I thought maybe Sennheiser or Grado Labs, but you guys have all confused me. Anyways perhaps you could help me now.

I currently have a PC with a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic. Right now I am using the Sennheiser PC150 headset, but I want to upgrade. I do not own a headphone amp.

What would be the best gaming headphones/headsets for under $200.00 and if they require a headphone amp, where is the best place to purchase one online?

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 40
This has to be the billionth time I heard this question asked....

The field is somewhat split between the Beyerdynamics DT 770/80 (80 ohm version) which will run you around 175-200ish. It has the most bass.

The second is the ATH-A900s, which is what I have. Not as much bass, but the mids are a bit better.

Many like the DT770s, but since you're on a budget and can't get them darth-ized, you may be better off with the A900s, which are about 175-200ish. There's some imbalance in the 770s in the cups which make some music a bit painful to listen to - at least it did for me while I had em.

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 40
the ath-a900 is what i would suggest also; only if you are into music and movies too.

but if it's strictly for gaming... i think those cheaper icemat siberias or whatever they are would do the job nicely. plus it comes with a mic already too.

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 40
For 100% gaming, I would go with a 100% gaming headset, with a mic. And forget the amp. The Icemat Black Siberia seems like a good choice.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The field is somewhat split between the Beyerdynamics DT 770/80 (80 ohm version) which will run you around 175-200ish. It has the most bass.

Actually you can get them for $150 shipped pretty easily. At least within the US :p

But yeah, for gaming. Go strictly for a gaming headphone.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you can get them for $150 shipped pretty easily. At least within the US :p

But yeah, for gaming. Go strictly for a gaming headphone.

I've only been able to find them for 175-200ish. Thanks for the price correction.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stabgotham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So then I take it the Senheisser 595's wouldn't be a very good choice? With the ATH-A900's would I require a headphone amp?

No you won't need an amp for the A900's as they are easy to drive and does sound good without one. Both DT770 and A900 cans are most often recommended for gaming and listening to music with a price tag of $200 or less. The DT770 is also excellent for gaming and listening to music but will require an amp to sound it's best as it isn't as easy to drive as the A900. The DT770 has a deeper sounding bass than the A900. The A900 has a tighter bass with slam but doesn't go as deep. Both cans provide excellent soundstage or sound position as required gaming.

If you want to save some extra bucks, try looking into a pair of A700s or A500's. Both A700 and A500 may not sound as refined or detailed as the A900 but they are more than adequate for gaming needs. Like the A900's, both also don't require an amp.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 40
I would think comfort is a huge and beneficial aspect of a headphone while playing video games for extended periods of time. With that in mind, I'd stick with the DT770's. This way you won't be wasting your money on a half-baked product implementing both. This isn't to say all stereo/microphone dealies don't perform well, but I think for the price range, you'd be better off with both a dedicated can and mic.

My advice would be to buy a DT770 Pro used off the forums as well as a used PIMETA or other DIY amp. This way you'll be able to get everything you want, and possibly stay within budget.

Good luck.

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 40
dammit that's false advertising ... i came in here expecting to read something batman-related. i want my double click back.

anyways, if your computer stays home when u game, stick with the DT770s/a900s. but if you LAN(& drink) like me, you'll want a pair that would take a beating. i had the MDR-V6s, they would fall off the table, get kicked around, stepped on, and sat on. that thing had good bass, was sturdy, was closed so nobody could lanhack and i could concentrate on the game. oh and they folded up for portability.

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This way you won't be wasting your money on a half-baked product implementing both. This isn't to say all stereo/microphone dealies don't perform well, but I think for the price range, you'd be better off with both a dedicated can and mic.

Yeah, a lot of higher end headphones that come with mics, like that Senn HD280 + mic deal, cost a lot more for just gaming. That particular one is the 280 with a 200 mic attached to it, which is certainly not necessary for gaming.

Although something like the MDR-V706 that has the place for a mic might be a good idea. It would be easier to attach your own that way.

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stabgotham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I waas told to come to Head-Fi to do some research before purchasing a new set of headphones that will be almost 100% for competitive online gaming. I have read tons of threads and reviews and I am absolutely atounded by the amount of information out there and by the knowledge that you all posess. With that said, I'm now more clueless then ever.

I'm not sure even which brand to purchase now. I thought maybe Sennheiser or Grado Labs, but you guys have all confused me. Anyways perhaps you could help me now.

I currently have a PC with a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic. Right now I am using the Sennheiser PC150 headset, but I want to upgrade. I do not own a headphone amp.

What would be the best gaming headphones/headsets for under $200.00 and if they require a headphone amp, where is the best place to purchase one online?

I used sennheiser hd580 for quite a while and thought they worked great. The nice defintion and soundstage really helped me hear where other players were. They are also extremely comfortable on my head so I could wear them pretty much all day if necessary. I had them running through an amp. With their price on amazon.com you could get a decent cheap amp to power them nicely.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only been able to find them for 175-200ish. Thanks for the price correction.

I bought my dt770/80s brand new for $153 shipped just two days ago. Gotta love ebay.

They should be here by Thursday. Yay!
eggosmile.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 40
It really sounds like a mixed bunch here. The IceMat Siberia's haven't received the best reviews and are likened to the Sennheisser PC160's which is barely a step up from my PC150's.

A buddy of mine and I continually discuss this topic as he's looking for some too. I don't think either of us know enough to purchase a quality headphone amplifier, nor do I know the best place to purchase one, should we go with the HD580's. I think that's the route I'd like to go, but I don't know where to get the headphone amplifier, nor do I think I'm capable of the DIY amplifier.

The A900's might be the better route for me since it appears the DT770's also require the headphone amp and it sounds as though the A900's do not. I really hope that this will increase the sound quality and the depth of sound in my games considerably from my PC150's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back