Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #3,602 of 4,069
Nice review of the Spring 3 KTE

Agree
Straightforward clear messaging.
Lately I have been debating with myself whether to go for Spring 3 KTE vs Schitt Yggdrasil

Issues
1) Holo S3 is non-returnable and non-upgradable (though if a new version comes out it is possible that Kitsune may operate a trade-in program for those purchasing recently they have done so before). Schitt upgrades components and their main DAC board periodically, and the device can be returned within 15 days provided one can complete an assessment in that time (Yggy requires a long burn-in though not as long as Spring 3 per other posters on this thread).
2) The 2 companies have a fundamentally different approach to audio. Schitt limits upsampling to 192k, does not play DSD (except by transcoding DSD to PCM) and uses proprietary filters to produce their SQ, which mostly involves mixed time frequency interpolation from Redbook PCM files. They do allow NOS in the newest Yggy+ version as an option and theoretically one could use HQP in that mode but reviewers differ on whether it’s worth doing so.

Holo upsampling limits are much higher (1.5Mhz I believe), S3 has a dedicated DSD chip and reviewers encourages use of HQP (which will require an additional device to use for many) as there is no built-in oversampling mode.

Both have excellent noise cancellation via high grade USB implementation. Schitt emphasizes dynamics a bit more it seems while Holo seems to emphasize staging a bit more.

Both would seem to be great choices for TOTL headphones if paired with the correct amp. Without Spring 3 preamp- prices of the 2 DACs are roughly comparable.

Passion for Sound directly compared S3 vs Yggy and favored the latter (see his video here ).

I am not plugging either here - rather if others on this have both and have done a comparison, reading that would be v. helpful. I have Susvara and am trying to choose a DAC to pair with it, amp will be Benchmark AHB2. Pls specify your chain and drivers if you respond to this.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #3,603 of 4,069
Agree
Lately I have been debating with myself whether to go for Spring 3 KTE vs Schitt Yggdrasil

Issues
1) Holo S3 is non-returnable and non-upgradable (though if a new version comes out it is possible that Kitsune may operate a trade-in program for those purchasing recently they have done so before). Schitt upgrades components and their main DAC board periodically, and the device can be returned within 15 days provided one can complete an assessment in that time (Yggy requires a long burn-in though not as long as Spring 3 per other posters on this thread).
2) The 2 companies have a fundamentally different approach to audio. Schitt limits upsampling to 192k, does not play DSD (except as DoP) and uses proprietary filters to produce their SQ, which mostly involves mixed time frequency interpolation from Redbook PCM files. They do allow NOS in the newest Yggy+ version as an option and theoretically one could use HQP in that mode but reviewers differ on whether it’s worth doing so.

Holo upsampling limits are much higher (1.5Mhz I believe), S3 has a dedicated DSD chip and reviewers encourages use of HQP (which will require an additional device to use for many) as there is no built-in oversampling mode.

Both have excellent noise cancellation via high grade USB implementation. Schitt emphasizes dynamics a bit more it seems while Holo seems to emphasize staging a bit more.

Both would seem to be great choices for TOTL headphones if paired with the correct amp. Without Spring 3 preamp- prices of the 2 DACs are roughly comparable.

Passion for Sound directly compared S3 vs Yggy and favored the latter (see his video here ).

I am not plugging either here - rather if others on this have both and have done a comparison, reading that would be v. helpful. I have Susvara and am trying to choose a DAC to pair with it, amp will be Benchmark AHB2. Pls specify your chain and drivers if you respond to this.
Surprisingly now that I think about it I have not tried the Yggy but have had all versions of HoloAudio DAC's since the Spring 2 (to include the Azure to the May) and I can't really add anything to the pages upon pages of glowing reviews for them except to say that in your comparison notes I would add that the owner of Kitsune uses the AHB2 with his DAC's for his 2 channel system and until the Bliss came out he did the same for his Headphone systems. So he trusts the pairing well enough, and I loved the AHB2 along with the May in my own setup for Susvara.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #3,604 of 4,069
Agree

Issues
2) The 2 companies have a fundamentally different approach to audio. Schitt limits upsampling to 192k, does not play DSD (except as DoP) and uses proprietary filters to produce their SQ, which mostly involves mixed time frequency interpolation from Redbook PCM files. They do allow NOS in the newest Yggy+ version as an option and theoretically one could use HQP in that mode but reviewers differ on whether it’s worth doing so.

Just want to point out that the schiit dacs do not support DSD at all. Not even DOP

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #3,605 of 4,069
Just want to point out that the schiit dacs do not support DSD at all. Not even DOP
Post edited. Above is correct

This however is from the Schitt Yggdrasil FAQ on their website:

“Yggdrasil plays DSD just fine, as long as it's converted to PCM by your software player. Same for MQA—Yggdrasil plays MQA just fine as long as your software or hardware does the "unfolding."

I agree that for those with a large Native DSD library, the Schitt DACs may be non-starters.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #3,606 of 4,069
Agree

Issues

I have owned both the Yggdrasil OG and the Spring 3 KTE. I purchased the Yggy OG new and quickly installed it and began the burn in. Sounded a bit congested at first, but started clearing up after it got some hours under its belt. I was fairly impressed with it. It had a robust and energetic sound and was not harsh at all in the upper registers. The detail was very good, but not incredible. It also had openness and airiness, which gave it a lively sound. (My standard of comparison was the DAC in my Anthem STR Preamp, which is excellent.) The Yggy did vocals a little more naturally and midrange was a little fuller than my Anthem. Overall, the Yggy would have been a keeper compared to any other external DAC I had owned before that, but I was looking for a little more detail retrieval. On the other hand, it was very engaging and musical, but it fell a little short overall. So, back it went to Schiit under the 15-day trial period. I guess I’ll never know if its performance would have kept improving with more hours, due to the short trial period.

Then I bought the Spring 3 KTE. Burn in took forever. What everyone says about a long burn in time is true. It sounded horrid at first….thin, thready bass and mid-range and a little congested. Once burned in (600 hours), it showed itself as the most detailed DAC I've owned or heard (of six external DACs). Well-defined bass, solid mid-range and very detailed treble—fairly well-balanced. But, it struggled with harshness a little bit on the high end on tracks that employ a “wall of sound” or weren’t well-recorded. It was very airy on top--loved that. But it lacked warmth that would have made it more inviting and musical. I missed the silkiness around notes that lures you into the music. On some tracks it was phenomenal and others, very analytical and dry. And, it could be harsh in the higher registers at times…it was minimal, but it was there nonetheless. I was searching for the DAC to give me uber detail and I found it, only to lose the connection to the music that I also craved. Quite simply, the Spring 3 KTE failed to engage with me on too many tracks to be a keeper, so I sold it. Lesson learned is that there is somewhat of a tradeoff between high detail and warmth, at least at this price level (and with my system).

If I were forced to choose between the Yggy OG and the Spring 3 KTE as the only DAC I could own for the rest of my life, I would choose the Yggy.

I have since purchased the Denafrips Venus II 12th Ann Edition and am very happy. It has very good detail--better than the Yggy, slightly better than my Anthem, but a little short of the Spring 3. But, it is also very musical and engaging. It is my end-game DAC, for sure.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #3,608 of 4,069
Do you know this from personal user experience? If so, pls elaborate.

This is from the Schitt Yggdrasil FAQ on their website:

“Yggdrasil plays DSD just fine, as long as it's converted to PCM by your software player. Same for MQA—Yggdrasil plays MQA just fine as long as your software or hardware does the "unfolding."

DoP is implied here. Roon does it. I cannot say from experience how it works in Yggdrasil, hence the question.

I agree that for those with a large Native DSD library, the Schitt DACs may be non-starters.
DoP is a protocol whereby DSD is actually sent to the DAC using a PCM wrapper format. If the DSD is converted to PCM prior to sending it to the DAC, that's not DoP. FYI.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #3,609 of 4,069
I have owned both the Yggdrasil OG and the Spring 3 KTE. I purchased the Yggy OG new and quickly installed it and began the burn in. Sounded a bit congested at first, but started clearing up after it got some hours under its belt. I was fairly impressed with it. It had a robust and energetic sound and was not harsh at all in the upper registers. The detail was very good, but not incredible. It also had openness and airiness, which gave it a lively sound. (My standard of comparison was the DAC in my Anthem STR Preamp, which is excellent.) The Yggy did vocals a little more naturally and midrange was a little fuller than my Anthem. Overall, the Yggy would have been a keeper compared to any other external DAC I had owned before that, but I was looking for a little more detail retrieval. On the other hand, it was very engaging and musical, but it fell a little short overall. So, back it went to Schiit under the 15-day trial period. I guess I’ll never know if its performance would have kept improving with more hours, due to the short trial period.

Then I bought the Spring 3 KTE. Burn in took forever. What everyone says about a long burn in time is true. It sounded horrid at first….thin, thready bass and mid-range and a little congested. Once burned in (600 hours), it showed itself as the most detailed DAC I've owned or heard (of six external DACs). Well-defined bass, solid mid-range and very detailed treble—fairly well-balanced. But, it struggled with harshness a little bit on the high end on tracks that employ a “wall of sound” or weren’t well-recorded. It was very airy on top--loved that. But it lacked warmth that would have made it more inviting and musical. I missed the silkiness around notes that lures you into the music. On some tracks it was phenomenal and others, very analytical and dry. And, it could be harsh in the higher registers at times…it was minimal, but it was there nonetheless. I was searching for the DAC to give me uber detail and I found it, only to lose the connection to the music that I also craved. Quite simply, the Spring 3 KTE failed to engage with me on too many tracks to be a keeper, so I sold it. Lesson learned is that there is somewhat of a tradeoff between high detail and warmth, at least at this price level (and with my system).

If I were forced to choose between the Yggy OG and the Spring 3 KTE as the only DAC I could own for the rest of my life, I would choose the Yggy.

I have since purchased the Denafrips Venus II 12th Ann Edition and am very happy. It has very good detail--better than the Yggy, slightly better than my Anthem, but a little short of the Spring 3. But, it is also very musical and engaging. It is my end-game DAC, for sure.
Agree that Spring 3 is more neutral than other R2R DAC's, I am guessing KTE is even more neutral as it has silver internal wiring, my V550 is slightly warm leaning so it fits nicely, one thing that amaze me about the Spring 3 is that it provides a big soundstage to my Focals and HD6xx which I always thought is physically impossible to achieve for these HPs, but I was wrong, this is the first thing I noticed when I turned it on the very first time, I also like how the sound is textured and holographic.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #3,610 of 4,069
That neutrality is a great combo with a tube amp and pre. Agreed on the soundstage. It’s magnificent, not to mention the killer imaging and holographic nature of the presentation. I’ve recently had two teenagers in the listening room just dumbstruck and say wow! And then say, how?

Toying with the idea of introducing a synergistic fuse in the mix, though I’m not sure if that voids the warranty.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #3,611 of 4,069
Agree
That neutrality is a great combo with a tube amp and pre. Agreed on the soundstage. It’s magnificent, not to mention the killer imaging and holographic nature of the presentation. I’ve recently had two teenagers in the listening room just dumbstruck and say wow! And then say, how?

Toying with the idea of introducing a synergistic fuse in the mix, though I’m not sure if that voids the warranty.
+1 for tube, going to be a killer setup with the Spring 3, I will explore it next year, this year my wallet is still in a shock :relaxed:

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #3,612 of 4,069
I use a syn fuse in my tube amp,
all in all a good combo. tubes and spring3 kte

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #3,615 of 4,069
My Spring 3 KTE arrived. The Susvara sounds like a better version of itsself. It's impressive. Do i need to check for firmware updates / download any specific drivers? I didn't found anything on their website. I will only use it in NOS and mostly 44.1 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back