Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 14, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #3,061 of 4,063
I recently got my Spring3 KTE.

We know that the enhanced USB module on Spring3 KTE (or May) is very good.
Now I want to find a way to make this USB input better.

I'm considering the following USB reclocker devices:
> Ideon 3R Master Time Black Star
> Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker

These products can perform USB signal optimization work such as re-generating, re-clocking...
It will become "Signal Source -> USB reclocker -> Spring3 KTE".

Has anyone used these devices on Spring3 KTE (or May)?
What kind of sound changes will it have?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #3,062 of 4,063
Hi guys,
I also recently purchased a Spring3 KTE.
As you all know, the USB input of Spring3 KTE is very good.
So I want to find a solution that can make the USB input better.

Currently I consider the following two devices:

Has anyone used these devices on Spring (or May)?
To add to the question by @elf21400 - anyone tried the cheaper Holo Titanis active USB? I wonder if there is any benefit for having 2 x Titanis (what's the plural of Titanis?!) - one inside the Spring or May, and one plugged to the USB out of the source?
Another relatively inexpensive option is iFi's iPurifier3. Anyone tried one of those with the Spring / May?

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #3,063 of 4,063
AFAIK PLL makes difference only for SPDIF and AES inputs
I did read in this thread an earlier person posting a reply from Tim

Here is one of the replies received from Tim -

"The delay of the pll is normal and does not affect latency. So if watching a movie, the audio and video will be in perfect sync.
What the pll can cause is a delay for locking onto the signal. So the first couple seconds are silent. If this is a no go for you, just turn it off."

I would personally recommend the KTE spring3 with enhanced usb module and use direct usb input. USB has the smallest delay with pll as it runs in master mode. But you can try your spdif2 which should be compatible in psaudio mode and setting dac for alt2.
But be sure to use shore i2s cable for best sound. Like 0.5M is fine. Imo the su2 or kte su2 does a bit better but back to my original recommendation… just try the usb module in the spring3, assuming it’s kte model it’s absolutely superb!!!

Other uses leave pll on and use playback software like jriver and add hardware synchronization delay of 4sec or so and alleviates the issue. Instead the music won’t start til the dac syncs."

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #3,064 of 4,063
I recently got my Spring3 KTE.

We know that the enhanced USB module on Spring3 KTE (or May) is very good.
Now I want to find a way to make this USB input better.

I'm considering the following USB reclocker devices:

These products can perform USB signal optimization work such as re-generating, re-clocking...
It will become "Signal Source -> USB reclocker -> Spring3 KTE".

Has anyone used these devices on Spring3 KTE (or May)?
What kind of sound changes will it have?
I have Spring 3 KTE dac and I also have Ideon 3R Master Time Black Star and brand new Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker (arrived just yesterday). Will post comparison after the burn in period of Phoenix is complete.
Anyway, USB input on Spring 3 KTE is great as is, but I do hear small improvement when Gaia DDC is in the chain (using I2S).
Mentioned pure USB reclockers will be tested next and I will report about my findings here.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,066 of 4,063
I'm not trying to stir up an argument because I've seen it before, but does a quality usb cable matter? Just wondering because my next purchase is likely to be the Spring 3kte and I know usb is the way to go with it.

Mar 15, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,067 of 4,063
I'm not trying to stir up an argument because I've seen it before, but does a quality usb cable matter? Just wondering because my next purchase is likely to be the Spring 3kte and I know usb is the way to go with it.

I use USB cable that was supplied with my Spring 3 DAC. I have Audioquest USB cable from "snake oil" department.
It doesn't sound any different. Any USB cable is fine unless it is broken. Burson used to ship broken USB cables with their DAC amps.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #3,069 of 4,063
Mar 15, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #3,070 of 4,063
I have Spring 3 KTE dac and I also have Ideon 3R Master Time Black Star and brand new Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker (arrived just yesterday). Will post comparison after the burn in period of Phoenix is complete.
Anyway, USB input on Spring 3 KTE is great as is, but I do hear small improvement when Gaia DDC is in the chain (using I2S).
Mentioned pure USB reclockers will be tested next and I will report about my findings here.
This sounds great, thank you very much and looking forward to your results.:relaxed:

How do you feel about the improvement of the "Ideon 3R Master Time Black Star" so far?

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #3,071 of 4,063
This sounds great, thank you very much and looking forward to your results.:relaxed:

How do you feel about the improvement of the "Ideon 3R Master Time Black Star" so far?
To be honest I was a bit disappointed with 3R reclocker. It sounds good, but in my setup Gaia via i2s sounds better. 3R is very smooth sounding, adding sort of calmness to the sound, but maybe the result is too calm, too smooth. Bass is bigger, goes lower with 3R, but lacks control. Gaia has more balanced sound, also smooth, but not too smooth, bass has less volume, but is better controlled. Gaia adds more air, everything is more natural. It is not apples to apples comparison, I know, as 3R is usb reclocker and Gaia DDC with no usb output, so you have to take into account that it is comparison of two different inputs (I2S vs USB) at the same time. And of course, it is quite certain, that this is system dependent. I can imagine that 3R can be excellent in systems that are (for whatever reason) little bit sharp and aggressive.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #3,072 of 4,063
Well I finally got it, so much for overnight shipping, it ended up being three working days total. Hardly had a chance to listen as it came and I had to go to work an hour later but straight away it is a big step up from my Musician Pegasus. I’ve got it running in at the moment. I’m off work Friday morning for four days so I’ll be having a beer and a good listen then :)

Attachments

• 29A96646-718F-4820-AE4A-FB63283EA798.jpeg
    29A96646-718F-4820-AE4A-FB63283EA798.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #3,073 of 4,063
Hi everyone,

I'm more thrilled to join the club with my Spring 3 DAC Level 2. I've been enjoying my Spring 1 from 2018. I'm using Singxer SU-6 feeding I2S to the Holo. Just a couple of questions:

1647177156285.png

1- I don't see the "Oversampling Mode", which I have on my Spring 1, does the new Spring 3 DAC run exclusively in NOS mode and there is no way we can change it? I know the NOS is the best sounding mode of Holo DACs but just out of curiosity.

2- Regarding the PLL, if I use mainly the I2S input, should I turn PLL on or off? Is there a difference in sound quality between them?

3- I've heard that the Spring 3 requires a long-time burn in to reach max potential, what milestone should I expect my Spring to sound as it should?

Big thanks and happy listening everyone!
Do you hear a great improvement VS Spring 1 ?

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #3,074 of 4,063
Well I finally got it, so much for overnight shipping, it ended up being three working days total. Hardly had a chance to listen as it came and I had to go to work an hour later but straight away it is a big step up from my Musician Pegasus. I’ve got it running in at the moment. I’m off work Friday morning for four days so I’ll be having a beer and a good listen then :)
Congratulations. If you like it already, wait two-three weeks and you will be blown away:)

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,075 of 4,063
Do you hear a great improvement VS Spring 1 ?
Yes, the most obvious thing that I've noticed when coming from Spring 1 to Spring 3 is that how "tighter" the sound is. The Spring 1 is no doubt wonderful, but it sounds somewhat "loose" and much softer compared to Spring 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back