Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #2,611 of 4,063
How do Spring3, May and Soekris dac2541 compare?
I know that the prices of these three machines are quite different, so I want to know if the price difference is worth it?

Sorry, my English is not very good

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,612 of 4,063
Hi everyone,

For those who are contemplating or about to place your orders of Spring 3, Magna Hi-Fi has received handful of KTE version (with or without Preamp) this week and ready to ship. They have confirmed that these units come with most recent version of Titanis USB module. They also have Level 2 in stock as well. Magna Hi-Fi is the European authorized dealer and they ship worldwide. https://magnahifi.com/holo-audio-spring-3-dac-kte-kitsune-r2r-dsd1024/ During checkout the VAT will be automatically taken out if you live outside of European union countries.

I just sold my Spring 3 level 1 and immediately ordered my KTE from them. My KTE is supposed to arrive to me in Canada early next week. Same level of excellent supports as Kitsune.
Well, I really do not understand what's going on. I am still waiting KTE from 16 July, just checked status it says:

July 16, 2021 Processing
Is there anyone who has ordered around this date? Have you received your KTE?

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #2,613 of 4,063
Well, I really do not understand what's going on. I am still waiting KTE from 16 July, just checked status it says:

July 16, 2021 Processing
I ordered on the 9th from kitsune. Got mine on like September 4th or so

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2,615 of 4,063

July 16, 2021 Processing
August, Received this month. KTE. (USA)

Scratch that, I ordered the May not the Spring. Didn't notice the thread.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #2,616 of 4,063

July 16, 2021 Processing
Did you talk to customer service?

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2,618 of 4,063
Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC review
(& comparison with Denafrips Venus II)

INTRODUCTION
Everything you will find in the following review applies to my own stereo setup in my listening area and pair of my own ears. I have not tested these dacs on any other setup and it is possible that the results of the comparison may be different in another setup or/and in another listening space.

Here is my setup:
4x4m acoustically treated room
Power filter: Shunyata Hydra Triton v1
Source: Aurender N100H streamer via internal HDD library
DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, Denafrips Venus II
DDC: Denafrips Gaia, Matrix Audio X-Spdif 2
Amp: Simaudio Moon 600i
Speakers: Diapason Adamantes III 25th
Cabling: Siltech Classic Anniversary

283B895C-8CF4-488A-A7B7-6A6C44A66126.jpeg

HOLO AUDIO SPRING 3 KTE
I like appearance of Spring 3 a lot. Great build quality, nice, not too big but heavy, all metal chassis. Decent connectors on back panel, nice and responsive front buttons and display nicely readable from my listening position. Remote is also nice. The only thing I would like to change would be dedicated button for each input on remote and dimmable display (there is only on and off option).
Before I start talking about sound quality I must mention that this dac really needs quite a long time to burn in. And the difference before and after burn in is in my opinion a big one. I let it burn for 500 hours with continuous 24/7 signal from the streamer, which consisted of playlist with the same amount of frequencies based on 44.1 and 48KHz. Differences during burn in process were most notable in bass region (from “no bass” to “great bass”). For better understanding of specific burn in progress of Spring 3 I created following graph.

25AAA41B-DA06-4669-99ED-41914A8545F2.jpeg

After 500 hours of burn in I began with listening to each input except for optical (I have no decent optical cable). Inputs are definitely not equal in sound quality. Spdif Coaxial is good, same with AES/EBU. I2S is quite better than both Spdif, but for my surprise, in my current setup best sounding input is USB (directly connected with streamer).
As my streamer is USB output only, other inputs were tested using Gaia or X-Spdif 2 DDC. Unfortunately I am still not able to test I2S input via I2S output from Gaia, because, as I already mentioned in previous post, none of four Springs I2S pinouts are compatible with Gaia. There is I2S pinout function on Gaia with newest firmware, but I am still unable to flash this firmware to my unit and still resolving this issue with Vinshine Audio. So for testing of I2S input I used X-Spdif 2 DDC, which is pity, because Gaia is far better sounding DDC.
From the moment I realized USB is best sounding input (for now) I have further tested and compared Spring 3 using only this input.
EDIT: PLL function was enabled all the time on Spring 3.

Spring 3 KTE sounds really good. Very good dynamics with great details and nice soundstage. No region is emphasized. Separation of individual instruments and voices is exceptional. Voices are very real and very tightly focused. Sound character is right in the middle between analytic and euphonic. But in my opinion this focus on neutral sound character goes sometimes little bit against overall fluidity of sound as whole. There is no apparent flaw in sound quality, yet in my setup I still feel like I'm missing a little bit of smoothness. Which allegedly was not the case with previous model Spring 2. But I have not compared the two in my setup, so this is just a guess. See more detailed explanation of this in following comparison.

COMPARISON WITH DENAFRIPS VENUS II
Denafrips Venus II is exactly in the same price and quality range as Spring 3 KTE. You can consider these two as direct competitors. And indeed, in many areas these two DACs are surprisingly close in sound quality. All comparison was made in NOS mode on both devices (I have to mention I don’t care if Venus II is “true” NOS or not).
Firstly I will name the areas and characteristics which are almost the same on both:
-great dynamics and punch
-rich harmonics
-very good and similar sized soundstage (little bit wider on Venus II)
-great timing (Spring 3 little bit quicker)
-very good detail retrieval
-VERY realistic rendering of human voices
-no sign of brightness or dryness on highs

And now I'll try to explain the differences. Venus II is definitely smoother and overall sound is more fluid. At first I thought it was caused by over emphasize lower midrange and mid-bass region on Venus side. But after long listening session (and dozen switching between Spring 3 to Venus II with the same music material) I realized that it is not the case here. The amount of bass, mid-bass and low midrange is the same on both DACs, but bodies of acoustic instruments (double bass, violin, Spanish guitar) and human voices are bigger and fuller on Venus II. On the other hand same instruments and voices on Spring 3 are in better focus. So maybe more focused individual instruments (may be even too focused) and voices lead to lack of overall smoothness. On more complex recordings this is not apparent after first listening, but on recordings where there is only one or two acoustic instrument (solo double bass for example) Venus II sounds full bodied, filling all listening place, while Spring 3 sound little bit thin, but with better pinpoint location of instruments.
So this effect gives Venus II noticeable more amount of sweetness, but at the same time little bit less of transparency.

CONCLUSION
There is no clear winner between Spring 3 and Venus II. Both are excellent DACs. Venus II is more full bodied and sweet sounding, but never too sweet (as for example my previous DAC Simaudio Moon 380D was). On the other hand Spring 3 is bit more transparent, which is very useful quality for future changes of any gear in your setup. Another advantage of Spring 3 is fabulous USB input, so there is no need to use DDC. Both DACs share many great sound characteristic and differences are not big enough to name the winner.
All this of course, as I wrote at the beginning, could be system dependent, because amplification, speakers and not least - listening room plays a big role in final quality and character of sound.
I just got a reply back from Alvin at vinshine audio saying that the gaia is compatible with the May. Were you able to get it working for the spring? Thanks.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,619 of 4,063
I just got a reply back from Alvin at vinshine audio saying that the gaia is compatible with the May. Were you able to get it working for the spring? Thanks.
Every Gaia (and Hermes) with new firmware is compatible.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #2,620 of 4,063
Not big deal. For burning in DAC you just need to leave unit 2-3 weeks always on and feed it with some music (with amplifier off). So set internet radio or some streamer playlist in repeat and it is all.
I got a pre-owned Spring3 KTE and the first owner 'burned it in' for around 500 hours. I know companies are telling us that their products need to be 'burned in' and I do hear differences after time but I think leaving it on with music playing for weeks is a COLOSSAL waste of time (and electricity). The problem is that we have these 'reviewers' who move from product to product so they 'need' to burn in their gear so it's at it's best for their review - I get it. But for the vast majority of us end users, I think we should just pick the product we think best fits our ears (and our wallets) and then just listen to the gear and let the music sound better and better with time instead of plowing through the burn in process with 24/7 music. Just saying.

In any case, the Spring3 KTE sounds insanely good with my HPA and headphones: realism (a 'you are there' feeling), a sense of depth, and correct timbre is what my ears hear.

Happy listening!
:L3000: :L3000:

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,621 of 4,063
I've had my Spring 3 KTE for a couple weeks now and I am just starting to mess around with various combinations and take notes for a brief review. I was using the USB input for awhile, but I just switched to I2S using my Singxer SU1 KTE DDR. Immediately I noticed that the I2S input seems to have much higher gain than the USB input. How could this be? I am using a McIntosh MHA200 and I found that with USB input to the Spring I was anywhere from 2-3 O'Clock on the volume knob. When I began using the I2S input to the Spring, I had to back it down to 12-1 O'Clock on the McIntosh. The MHA200 volume is far from linear so this is a dramatic change to my ears. Can anyone make sense of this? McIntosh recommends 12 O'Clock on the amp because it is unity gain, so this seems to be a much more ideal case anyway.

I am beginning to believe that I2S input on the Spring 3 sounds better than the USB input. I didn't think this would be the case, but I really, really like the way the I2S input sounds. I am level matching as best I can, but the output gain from the Spring is definitely different between USB and I2S.

In terms of my subjective preference for I2S, it may be explained by my USB chain. I am using a 30 foot USB3.0 extension cable from my Linux server running MPD. That is terminating into a 0.5M Wireworld Starlight 7 USB Cable. I have run this into the Holo Spring 3 KTE directly, as well as into the Singxer SU1 KTE DDR. I imagine the SU1 might be making up for some deficiencies in my USB source. But the improvement is pretty clear to my ears so far.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,622 of 4,063
I've had my Spring 3 KTE for a couple weeks now and I am just starting to mess around with various combinations and take notes for a brief review. I was using the USB input for awhile, but I just switched to I2S using my Singxer SU1 KTE DDR. Immediately I noticed that the I2S input seems to have much higher gain than the USB input. How could this be? I am using a McIntosh MHA200 and I found that with USB input to the Spring I was anywhere from 2-3 O'Clock on the volume knob. When I began using the I2S input to the Spring, I had to back it down to 12-1 O'Clock on the McIntosh. The MHA200 volume is far from linear so this is a dramatic change to my ears. Can anyone make sense of this? McIntosh recommends 12 O'Clock on the amp because it is unity gain, so this seems to be a much more ideal case anyway.

I am beginning to believe that I2S input on the Spring 3 sounds better than the USB input. I didn't think this would be the case, but I really, really like the way the I2S input sounds. I am level matching as best I can, but the output gain from the Spring is definitely different between USB and I2S.

In terms of my subjective preference for I2S, it may be explained by my USB chain. I am using a 30 foot USB3.0 extension cable from my Linux server running MPD. That is terminating into a 0.5M Wireworld Starlight 7 USB Cable. I have run this into the Holo Spring 3 KTE directly, as well as into the Singxer SU1 KTE DDR. I imagine the SU1 might be making up for some deficiencies in my USB source. But the improvement is pretty clear to my ears so far.
I have found that 'louder' sometimes makes our brains think it is better. While I have been trying to find a good i2S solution for my listening, I cannot imagine i2S being subjectively that much better than my current JPS Labs AES connection to the Spring3 KTE from my streamer that would make it worthwhile to spend the additional funds necessary.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #2,623 of 4,063
I'm just sitting here like, " pc to kte with hqplayer is good enough for me"

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,625 of 4,063
As I said, I am volume matching by ear as best I can. I don't think variation in volume level is causing me any persuasion. I am, however confused as to why there would be an output gain difference between the two DAC inputs.
It has more to do with the output of the stuff up stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back