Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Sep 3, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,536 of 4,067
Initial impressions.

Sound stage, separation, clarity, detail all took a significant bump up from my topping.

stage and separation
It's very easy to pick an instrument and just follow that one sound. Imaging is great. A bit of an example of those combining is acoustics in Hotel California. I no longer am hearing the placement of the instrument in its own space but also hearing space between each note/string. Their is tangible air between them. Furthermore, layering of front to back is also more notable without the need to be critically listening. The stage as a whole is wider, although I do not believe it has gotten anymore height.

Clarity and Detail
Well another obvious stand out. My better half who was and remains significantly unhappy with the amount of money spent, did make a comment. Walking by me, she said she could already hear a difference just via the sound leaking from the open backs. Upon her listening she said , you know its more clear, and theirs more " i don't know somehow it seems more smooth almost.. I know you we're worried that you wouldn't be able to notice the sound difference for the money but you can at least say its there. "

For me the moment of ahh theirs a more to it came initially with "under dogs" by Alicia Keys. Hearing the multiple vocal tracks layered very clearly. Again the same experience with frankly, ever "beatles" song I've played. Their are new details emerging as far as little drum hits and such that I do not notice previous. Again, without the need to pay attention. I notice these new things while I am actively typing this out. Clearly not focusing specifically in search for details.

Characteristics and Tone
Well its is clear this dac presents music in a different way. That is for sure. It doesn't take long for the brain to adjust and for it to become the new normal. I do notice snares , high hats, clicks , snaps and claps are have a more crisp hit. It's far less dull and drowned out. The sound all around is more Lively, making me previous dac seem flat .
As if I went from watching a concert in 4k . To being in the venue. Is it night and day ? yes. Is it 4 times better, no. But you know this, you're in this rabbit hole with me.

All for now , time to enjoy
I was gonna ask which version it is but it's in your Sig :) KTE

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,537 of 4,067
20210903_132407.jpg
20210903_132736.jpg
I was gonna ask which version it is but it's in your Sig :) KTE

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,538 of 4,067
after 7 weeks , Today I got my DHL notice.
Hi Ken,

Wonder if all of you ordered Level 3 (KTE) version ? Magna Hi-Fi in Netherlands has handful of stock of both Level 1 & 2 ready to ship (but Level 3 has wait time). Is it because no one wants Level 1 or Level 2 ? I ordered mine last night from Magna Hi-Fi and they shipped it out within 2 hours. And DHL already notified me the package will be delivered to me next Tuesday ( could be lot earlier so i hate labour day long weekend ....). And the price with shipping somehow are about a bit cheaper after Canadian to Euro conversion (no need to pay VAT). And Magna support staff replied to inquiries fast and polite. And they were very knowledgeable about Holo products as well. I am in West coast Canada.

Larry

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #2,539 of 4,067
Hi Ken,

Wonder if all of you ordered Level 3 (KTE) version ? Magna Hi-Fi in Netherlands has handful of stock of both Level 1 & 2 ready to ship (but Level 3 has wait time). Is it because no one wants Level 1 or Level 2 ? I ordered mine last night from Magna Hi-Fi and they shipped it out within 2 hours. And DHL already notified me the package will be delivered to me next Tuesday ( could be lot earlier so i hate labour day long weekend ....). And the price with shipping somehow are about a fraction cheaper after Canadian to Euro conversion. I am in West coast Canada.

Larry
The kte is hand chosen parts, silver solder and a hand wrapped silver transformer. They're made to order. And I spent almost ten days waiting for the new usb modules after it was built

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #2,540 of 4,067
The kte is hand chosen parts, silver solder and a hand wrapped silver transformer. They're made to order. And I spent almost ten days waiting for the new usb modules after it was built
I know the goodies on KTE version but not everyone will go for the extreme i guess. The Level 2 is an excellent DAC for the price. From Holo Audio's site looks like we have to wait for both Level 1 and 2 to be built. I just like to share with others who will take lower spec'd that Magna Hi Fi carries them in stock.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #2,541 of 4,067
I know the goodies on KTE version but not everyone will go for the extreme i guess. The Level 2 is an excellent DAC for the price.
Absolutely it is! I chose the kte for the usb module primarily.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #2,542 of 4,067
Magna Hi-Fi in Netherlands has handful of stock of both Level 1 & 2 ready to ship (but Level 3 has wait time). Is it because no one wants Level 1 or Level 2
I think it is because the Spring3 KTE is the only Spring 3 with the Titanis USB module same as the May level 2 & KTE.

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2,543 of 4,067
Opinion, upsample pcm is horrible. Takes the smooth natural sound n makes it overly sharp and focused. Pushes the vocals forward and defeated the purpose of buying a nos r2r.

DSD 256 from hqplayer or no upsampling at all seems to be my personal preference.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #2,544 of 4,067
I think it is because the Spring3 KTE is the only Spring 3 with the Titanis USB module same as the May level 2 & KTE.
I ordered KTE version because of USB module…
@KenMan85 Spring 3 KTE has no longer silver transformer (Spring 2 KTE had), just silver wiring. New transformer is flat wire, “ultra premium”, but copper.

…And here is photo of mine:)

A20C8E54-D8F5-4EF7-B31A-D58E7EB449F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2,545 of 4,067
I just pulled the trigger on a Spring 3 KTE for my speaker setup - so the wait begins.

I used to run a Metrum Pavane NOS DAC and a Delta Sigma DAC in my setup for years but ended up selling the Pavane due to a misguided bout of rationalisation, only to miss the option of having both types of presentation on tap. The May wasn't a financial option for me at over AUD 3,000 more than the Spring and I finally decided on the KTE over the Level 2 purely on the basis of being the sort of person that always ticks all the option boxes when I buy something to avoid any potential regret.

I use digital room correction so the Spring will be fed a constant 24/96 via AES but I will try the USB in my desktop headphone setup at some point, although it is unlikely to stay there due purely to it's physical size....but I could make compromises if the SQ is somehow "other-wordly" compared to what I run now :thinking:

It's going to be interesting to compare the Spring to the Pavane - albeit from a rapidly disintegrating memory. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #2,547 of 4,067
I didn’t see it mentioned here, but is the Spring 3 only NOS?
No, you can set it to upsample, convert all to dsd or convert all to dsd.

The issue being why bother. Hqplayer converts better.

Set it in nos and never touch it you'll not find any review preferring os to NOS in any holo product

Edit nos is the default setting so don't need to actually set

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #2,548 of 4,067
I didn’t see it mentioned here, but is the Spring 3 only NOS?
As far as I know, Spring 3 is NOS ONLY dac. There is no oversampling option (there was this option on Spring 2).

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #2,550 of 4,067
If there’s an over sampling mode, I haven’t found a way to enable it on my Spring 3. It is curious that the display always says NOS though, which made me think it could be switched.
You haven't found it, because Spring 3 is NOS only:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back