Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 13, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #841 of 4,063
I use the Singxer SU-1 with the Holo and I have never gotten a pop or click when switching sample rates, either through Roon/HQP on Windows 10 or OS X.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #842 of 4,063
I use the Singxer SU-1 with the Holo and I have never gotten a pop or click when switching sample rates

In my experience it has been a problem exclusive to DSD content.
For example, if I hit the stop button in JRiver so nothing is going to the the DAC and then play a DSD track, I will get a click/pop at start.
This happens with EVERY DSD track not just some.

This does not occur when playing PCM content; just DSD.  
I know this isn't a huge problem for many Spring owners who have little or no DSD content.  It is a concern for me because I have quite a bit of DSD content in my library.  

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #843 of 4,063
 Quote:
  In my experience it has been a problem exclusive to DSD content.
For example, if I hit the stop button in JRiver so nothing is going to the the DAC and then play a DSD track, I will get a click/pop at start.
This happens with EVERY DSD track not just some.

This does not occur when playing PCM content; just DSD.  
I know this isn't a huge problem for many Spring owners who have little or no DSD content.  It is a concern for me because I have quite a bit of DSD content in my library.  

I use the Singxer SU-1 with the Holo and I have never gotten a pop or click when switching sample rates, either through Roon/HQP on Windows 10 or OS X.

I use a MBP running JRiver-MC21 and occasionally iTunes w/Bitperfect and was having soft popping/clicking issues with PCM in NOS mode (until last night) and when I had the SU1 in the chain they were much more emphasized than without it. As I mentioned in a previous post, I didn't have this issue using iTunes without Bitperfect, so the issue was in both the JRiver/Bitperfect software. I'll see what happens with iTunes w/BitPerfect some time today.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #844 of 4,063
It doesn't matter in this case, it supports MQA just as well as the Musette and the Gungnir MB.  If he's playing through Tidal, the software can unfold.

Does software decoding get full resolution. I have read somewhere on Headfi that with software decoded output is limited to 24/48.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #845 of 4,063
Does software decoding get full resolution. I have read somewhere on Headfi that with software decoded output is limited to 24/48.

As I understand from the CA article, software decoding caps out at 24/96.  I would still rather have 24/96 through the Holo than full MQA through the Brooklyn, for instance.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #847 of 4,063
Question on connecting transports to the holo.

The i2s cable from the su1 to the holo is just a standard hdmi cable correct?

Any i2S cable will do. Configuration of PS Audio.

But if you really want to go big on cables, you can buy a quality one from WireWorld like the Chroma, Ultraviolet, or Starlight 7.

Personally I use a Silverback S6 from Sewell Direct that works fine. It's not expensive, well shielded, good gauge, and comes in multiple sizes.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #848 of 4,063
Ordered a couple of cables from Sewell, thank you. So it looks to be the same cable you'd use to plug a bluray player to a tv.
Any i2S cable will do. Configuration of PS Audio.

But if you really want to go big on cables, you can buy a quality one from WireWorld like the Chroma, Ultraviolet, or Starlight 7.

Personally I use a Silverback S6 from Sewell Direct that works fine. It's not expensive, well shielded, good gauge, and comes in multiple sizes.

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #849 of 4,063
I've been listening to sample rates ranging between 44.1 to 352.8 for the past 3hrs and not once have I heard a single pop/click while changing sample rates after going nuts yesterday trying to tweak JRiver to correct this issue to no avail. :blink:  

I love when stuff like that happens. But does that mean you're in the clear now??

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #850 of 4,063
Question on connecting transports to the holo.

Yes, it's an HDMI cable.

I love when stuff like that happens. But does that mean you're in the clear now??

I'm not sure because I didn't do any listening tonight. I doubt it, though.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #851 of 4,063
Ordered a couple of cables from Sewell, thank you. So it looks to be the same cable you'd use to plug a bluray player to a tv.

Same as any HDMI cable, they just take different pin configuration when you use a DDC (digital to digital converter), then you must change it yourself depending on the DAC.

---

I've been oversampling my Holo Audio Spring from 16 bit/44.1kHz to 192kHz on HQPlayer and everything sounds more smooth, less emphasized, but has a slight digital glare. Anyone else oversample? I'm more leaning on NOS with no oversampling at this point.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #852 of 4,063

Yes - It is a standard HDMI cable.  If connecting to a Singxer SU-1 please keep in mind that, per Time @ Kitsune,  the cable shouldn't be longer than .5M.  Keep it short.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #854 of 4,063
I2S wasn't made for long runs. It was more for a PCB to PCB connection. The longer it is, the more the signal integrity becomes influenced by additional jitter.
Don't forget this i2S signal is being fed directly to the DAC chip, FPGA, or R2R Ladder.

My Singxer SU-1 sits on top my Holo Audio Spring in a weird position because I use a 0.5FT cable. Super Super Short. S/PDIF cables should be short too so that there are fewer reflections influencing the signal. AES/EBU is made to used in longer runs.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #855 of 4,063
A petition for a firmware upgrade:

Add an option to modify the information shown on the display, so that the Source been used is displayed, which I find much more useful than seeing just  the resolution.

Better : show both the Source and Resolution. Eg: "CO1-DS64" (means coaxial input 1 and DSD 64).

Even Better: give also the option to modify the input name (from a selectable list), so that it is, for example "DVD, PC, TV; AUX...". So that the display shows for example "DVD 44.1". Maybe it is possible to mod the firmware to include an input "name change" feature by pressing two buttons at same time (source + dim?) and then select the alternative tag/name for each input. Similar feature as seen on many Receivers. This can be most useful with three or more inputs populated.

Please, pass this petition to the HOLO design guy/s!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back