Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 1, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #781 of 4,063
The above would definitely work.  It would only work through JRiver, unless someone developed a Kodi plugin that lets you send sound to assignable channels with the same granularity that JRiver does, and it would require a multichannel recording DDC like the Scarletti as well as some careful configuration work.  I suggested you abandon your plan on the assumption that you weren't interested in such a detailed solution, but more power to you.

You could certainly use that same setup for multichannel DSD files, as JRiver can handle .iso and .dsf files easily.  You could also add in some room response, if your PC was up to it.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #782 of 4,063
But I love the XMC's decoding/decoder options/room correction with HT.  So much simpler had it had a HT bypass.  But very interesting to see how versatile JRiver can be used.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #784 of 4,063
Has anyone experienced a scenario where the Spring doesn't "shift" gears into DSD mode?  

I use JRiver Media Center as my media player and have the Spring connected to my laptop via a USB cable.  The Spring is in "NOS mode".  I have tried to play three different DSD encoded tracks.  The display switches to read 176.4K, not DSD64, and the system plays static, like a really dirty vinyl LP. 

I am confident my driver & DSD config is correct - I've played dozens of .DSF files before.  
Before someone asks, yes - JRiver is configured to play DSD content using DoP mode.  

Has this happened to anyone else?

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #785 of 4,063
 I use JRiver Media Center as my media player and have the Spring connected to my laptop via a USB cable.

I figured it out - there was some Wyrd Schiit going on.  
I forgot to mention that there was a Schiit Wyrd in the signal path (I forgot I was even using it!)  I unplugged that Schiit and DSD playback worked normally.  I have no idea why the Wyrd caused the Spring to fault but it was an easy fix.

Can't wait for my Singxer SU-1 to arrive. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #786 of 4,063
  I've been wondering kind of the same questions...Is there a way to use the Spring with a 2 ch preamp (which I haven't bought yet...I'm presently just using the XMC as my 2 ch pre and HT)  integrated to my HT processor/a Emotiva XMC-1.  No HT bypass on the XMC 1.  
The goal is to use my 2 ch setup/preamp, but to be able to use these two channels in my HT setup.

Here's the XMC's specs:  http://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1

hello leeg,

I'm not very sure what you want to achieve. Anyway it looks like the "best of both worls" (stereo and HT) dilemma. Either use a HT Prepro for movies or a good stereo setup for music. In that situation the L and R front speakers would be used by either the home cinema or the stereo setup (with separate preamplifier).

Until recently, what I did to solve that situation was use a custom fabricated (inexpensive- about 70 USD)  amplifier selector. It accepted the outputs from two different amplifiers (selectable with a switch) and has stereo outputs to  my L and R front speakers. Thus, just by toggling a switch in this simple mechanical "amplifier selector box" I could choose if either to listen to one amplifier (for music) or the other amplifier (the receiver, for movies). I don't use that solution anymore, as I found that having the Receiver "On" lowered the volume when I was listening to the other amp... also meant more (speaker) cables required, and I also forgot often that I had to use that switch when changling amps.

I have browsed the XMC-1 user guide (don't have this machine) and found:

1. Digital Audio Outputs
Connect these outputs to the digital inputs of an external audio device or DAC.
Note: The Digital Audio Outputs of the XMC-1 are subject to processing, and/or re-sampling
or sample rate conversion in some instances. They are intended for connecting other external
devices with their own digital inputs, but should not be considered to be bit-perfect copies of
the digital input signal.

-----

Possibly you can use the optical out of the XMC-1 to feed the Holo (knowing that the XMC-1 may resample it as stated above). The Holo outs would feed your new Preamplifier (For front L and R channels) which would feed an amplifier. You should use the LR analogue outs of the XMC-1 to feed the same external preamplifier (which needs to accept then at least two stereo inputs, one for the Holo out and one for the XMC L and R analogue outs). This way, you can use the Holo for stereo movies. However, I don't know if the XMC will apply its "tricks" (e.g. room correction, etc) to the digital out. Don't know either if the XMC will decode a dolby or DTS into PCM for its digital out, so that the Holo can recognize it.
So, not sure if this (using the digital out to feed the holo) will work for movies in such compressed audio formats, because, as mentioned, the Holo will not "understand" Dolby or DTS signals. May depend on what you feed the XMC, and if there's any internal conversion required in the XMC and if it is capable of that conversion from the input to the digital output. I wouldn't count that the XMC will have much flexibility of conversion towards its digital outs, but as I say, I don't own one, and if interested in the capabilities of its digital outs, you better search/ask in an XMC-1 forum.

With an external preamplifier, you can select if you will listen to the Holo or to the XMC. A problem with this setup (aside from the not "bitperfect" digital out of the XMC) is that you have two daisychained preamplifiers for the LR channels (first the XMC and then the external preamplifier) when listening to multichannel. When listening to the Holo, you only have one preamplifier in the chain (the external one).

Because the Holo has various inputs, you could use a separate input to feed it directly from your stereo source. What you will not be able to do with the XMC-1 is use at the same time different dacs (the XMC and and the HOLO) for multichannel analogue to digital conversion (which is what I will try to do without the HTPC&Jriver+Focusrite+Holo combo.)

Probably chaining two preamps would remove most of the sonic advantages of using a separate one suposedly better than the XMC.

If I had the XMC-1, I would just use it and forget about using a second preamplifier, and would just use the XMC-1 as preamplifier for the Holo (music) and for movies.

If I wanted to use&buy a separate new preamp for the Holo dac, I would probably look for a TVC passive preamplifier (passive with Transformer Volume Control instead of resistors) and a switch for two stereo inputs (one for the XMC LR and one for the Holo LR). I have not tried TVC passive preamps myself, but they look like a very good solution under 1,000 USD. PS: Google for TVC preamplifier if interested or I can provide some links with info.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

note; various edits to (hopefully) clarify

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #787 of 4,063
I have a high end stereo system including CD, turntable, analog tuner, analog preamp and 4K HPTC with projector system including XMC-1 and shortly the latest Oppo. Whatever the prepro is, I will not trade off the stereo preamp. In other words I much prefer the two preamps approach for movie playback because I will be sure to have the best stereo reproduction without degrading the movie sound reproduction. There is no chance, to me, that the XMC1 can compete, SQ wise, to my stereo system, so I don't want it in the path.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #788 of 4,063

I haven't tried the XLR interconnect yet. I have already tried​ USB input and SPDIF (SU-1 --> coaxial --> Holo Spring DAC). Similar results.
The RCA interconnect is no problem if I use built-in DAC of CXA80 amp.
My amp have Input impedances​: balanced 50 kOhm​/unbalanced 43 kOhm, and voltage output of Holo Spring DAC: 2.5Vrms (RCA)/5Vrms (XLR), does that matter?

I tried connecting with XLR interconnect. Everything is OK. My problem is that it is not appearing on the​ same components. Is someone tried with RCA interconnect?

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #789 of 4,063
Feb 5, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #792 of 4,063
Feb 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #794 of 4,063

Users who are viewing this thread

Back