Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 3, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #496 of 4,063
If anyone bought the Holo from Shenzhen audio and is concerned with their general 1 year warranty for all products, I asked them if this applies to the Holo dac, to all versions. I just got their reply this morning. I would keep this message as a reference for future warranty claims, just in case:

-------

Hi David,

Good day.
Yes,Holo audio product have 3 year warranty.

Best Regards
Kerwin
Shenzhenaudio

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #497 of 4,063
One suggestion for the upcoming Kitsune May DAC with built in passive resisters based volume control, experiment with auto-formers instead. Using a single resister to attenuate volume can be very revealing but also stark, auto-formers to me sound more layback.
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/11/dave-slagle-myemia-custom-silver.html

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #499 of 4,063
If anyone bought the Holo from Shenzhen audio and is concerned with their general 1 year warranty for all products, I asked them if this applies to the Holo dac, to all versions. I just got their reply this morning. I would keep this message as a reference for future warranty claims, just in case:

Hi David,

Good day.
Yes,Holo audio product have 3 year warranty.

Best Regards
Kerwin
Shenzhenaudio

I made the same inquiry and got the same answer. They're reasonably communicative despite obvious difficulties with English. As with many online dealers, their website is somewhat crude and doesn't give much product info.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #500 of 4,063
My monoblock tube amps in my 2-channel setup put off 600W of heat (they have 12 tubes per side). Now that's warm! In fact I don't have to heat the room in the winter when I have them powered up. Cheers 

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #501 of 4,063
  My monoblock tube amps in my 2-channel setup put off 600W of heat (they have 12 tubes per side). Now that's warm! In fact I don't have to heat the room in the winter when I have them powered up. Cheers 

Awesome. I once had to sell a Pass X350 amp because of that. The room had the thermostat for the house so the heat would not fire up and the rest of the house would freeze.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #502 of 4,063
Hello,

I would like to know if the Holo DAC is sensible to the location temperature.

For example, if it's located near a hot source (e.g. big amplifier) and the HOLO gets non-homogeneously heated, would that affect the sound quality?

In particular, I  wonder if the r2r ladder is sensible to non-uniform external heating.

Thanks!!

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #503 of 4,063
  Hello,

I would like to know if the Holo DAC is sensible to the location temperature.

For example, if it's located near a hot source (e.g. big amplifier) and the HOLO gets non-homogeneously heated, would that affect the sound quality?

In particular, I  wonder if the r2r ladder is sensible to non-uniform external heating.

Thanks!!

Assuming you mean "sensitive" not "sensible" ...

Unless you run the thing with the case removed, no ...

Even then it's doubtful.

And I thought USB-nervosa was bad ...

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #504 of 4,063

I couldn't let a lvl 3 kit just sit in it's box for more than a week so i temporarily have mine in plugged in for testing. Not a big fan of the Grado out of this setup (treble energy) but I'm guessing my full rig with he560/mdr-z1r and audiogd amp will take this to new levels. The extra details even over the Hugo is impressive.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #506 of 4,063
Helo all, just checking in - I'm gonna hold out for any detailed comparisons between levels 1-3 before making any decisions, and for now just order the Singxer SU-1 USB reclocker / converter to see how much more fidelity I may be able to squeeze out of my existing DACs with it until then.

Looks like the $350 special isn't available anymore so would you recommend ordering it from TaoBao?

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #507 of 4,063
  Helo all, just checking in - I'm gonna hold out for any detailed comparisons between levels 1-3 before making any decisions, and for now just order the Singxer SU-1 USB reclocker / converter to see how much more fidelity I may be able to squeeze out of my existing DACs with it until then.

Looks like the $350 special isn't available anymore so would you recommend ordering it from TaoBao?

If your profile is current, there's pretty much NO chance that adding an SU-1 is going to be improve your existing DAC to the point that just selling it, and then adding the $350-$400 you'd spend on the DDC to your budge and buying a BETTER DAC would get you.

Interface/re-clocker/DDC differences are last-few-percent tweaks.

Until you've got something like Gungnir/Yggdrasil, the Metrum, PS Audio or Holo Audio units, just forget the all the USB/DDC/Clock nervosa nonsense.  You'll have a cheaper, simpler, better sounding system as a result.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #509 of 4,063
USB signal cleaners are in fact able to make quite audible differences in low-mid tier DAC however, as I heard a fairly sizeable improvement with with current DACs with the Wyrd. Was thinking to try Wyrd + SU-1 into my DAC's 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #510 of 4,063
  No I was planning to get the Singxer SU-1 in preparation for the Holo Audio Spring, and in the meantime see if it spruce's up my current DACs or not (X12 or Mimby)

If you're ditching your current DAC(s) anyway, then there's no harm in it.

The Holo Audio unit will definitely benefit with the SU-1 (via I2S) vs. native USB.

Just don't expect the X12 or Mimby to sound as good as DACs costing $400 more, respectively, just because you added the SU-1 to the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back