Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #481 of 4,062
  How much heat does the Holo Spring generate (subjectively) when in use and when in idle/standby (if it has a standby mode)? Is it cooler than the Yggy? Thanks.

IIRC I believe read that it does have a stand by mode which just keeps the critical circuits, caps, power supply warm, but cuts off the output signals…please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #482 of 4,062
  How much heat does the Holo Spring generate (subjectively) when in use and when in idle/standby (if it has a standby mode)? Is it cooler than the Yggy? Thanks.

[Modified post: Quote of deleted post removed]

Using a properly calibrated IR thermometer, and with both units currently in the same rack and playing the same music and with the room at 20℃, Yggdrasil is at 31.7℃ and the Spring DAC is at 29.4℃.  For those of you that don't speak metric ... that translates to a 68℉ room, with Yggdrasil at 89℉ and the Spring DAC at 85℉ (numbers are rounded; did the math in my head).

As further clarification .... both units are fully warmed up and are both left powered on continuously.  I don't use the stand-by mode on the Spring DAC either, though I probably would if I was heading out of town for a protracted period.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #483 of 4,062

Using a properly calibrated IR thermometer, and with both units currently in the same rack and playing the same music and with the room at 20℃, Yggdrasil is at 31.7℃ and the Spring DAC is at 29.4℃.  For those of you that don't speak metric ... that translates to a 68℉ room, with Yggdrasil at 89℉ and the Spring DAC at 85℉ (numbers are rounded; did the math in my head).

As further clarification .... both units are fully warmed up and are both left powered on continuously.  I don't use the stand-by mode on the Spring DAC either, though I probably would if I was heading out of town for a protracted period.

Thanks for those numbers. Both are cooler than I expected; imagined I'd see temps closer to 40C for always-on dacs of that size.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #487 of 4,062
  Thanks.
The thing is stand by mode keeps everything warm without leaving the unit continuously on. So why not use it in this mode which also turns the outputs off?

For me?

I'm just accustomed to leaving my sources on.

If the tubes in my amps didn't have very definitely limited life-spans, I'd leave those buggers on as well.

Fundamentally it's down to having one less thing to think about and one less button to push.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #489 of 4,062
No I'm sorry what you need to do is buy valves ex defence force and just change them when they die. Yes sad to say valves do sound better on and warm. The biggest failure of components is at cold turn ON. And I do like valves just can't be bothered with failures at inopportune times and slow degradation in sound as they die slowly. Mind you all components are dying slowly just some take longer.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #490 of 4,062
  Gosh you must be in the vinyl camp what are you doing here?

Now that is a question to which there is no simple answer.

I do, as it happens, enjoy vinyl.  My vinyl rig here is fairly modest (Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 Evo w/ Dynavector 10x5), but my LP collection remains substantial (about 12,000 LPs in total, most of which are back in the UK still - I only have a few hundred here).

But the vast majority of my listening is digital these days.

The turntable gets used when I want to l listen to something "as an album" ... and have the time to just sit an listen.

My turntable resides in my speaker rig, which does not have any tubes in it at all ... those are reserved for my headphone amps.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #492 of 4,062
I need some advice:

I have this chain:

SDD drive (music storage) --(usb)--> Auralic Aries---(AES)--->Holo Dac ---Musifcal fidelity Integrated Amp---> Speakers

I see various  people are also using the Aries streamer + Holo Dac.

This question is about how better feed the Auralic. I use external hard drive directly connected by short USB cable. Any suggestion to upgrade this connection? (I already have the Uptone regen, but think I will need much time to evaluate if that makes a difference or not if its is connected before the Auralic). I also have a complete HTPC at same location, but would rather be able to listen to music with the PC off. Also have a (fanless) NAS I'm not using now, if that may help.

Thanks in advance

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #493 of 4,062
A suggestion for HOLO audio about the screen dimming:

Dimming the screen is a nice feature, but it really is a PIA having to press the dimm button SIXTEEN TIMES to go from full intensity to screen off.
Most of the intermediate intensity values are hardly distinguisable, anyway.

I suggest just 3 values (or 4 values at most), such as full light, half dimm and "screen off" modes

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #494 of 4,062

Dimming the screen is a nice feature, but it really is a PIA having to press the dimm button SIXTEEN TIMES to go from full intensity to screen off.

I suggest just 3 values (or 4 values at most), such as full light, half dimm and "screen off" modes

What I would suggest is to have a remote control with direct code access (aka discrete codes) preferably over IP. IR would make it, in that case I use iTach modules. I have a fairly complex system, all the remotes are done from a tablet and specific software. I just don't understand why a remote control is not implemented in this unit.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #495 of 4,062

I will discuss this with Jeff. Never bothered me as I set it and forget it. :wink:

the first 3-4 pressing of the button don't do much, as the values are not significant enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back