Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Aug 31, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #31 of 4,063
I think it is explained partially on the website.

But here is how it works, a R2R ladder DAC has a pile of precision resistors, and a pile of switches
in the case of the soekris, lv595 which are serial in parallel out shift registers. The output stages of these
devices are designed to drive digital circuits, not resistors. As such they have definitely non-zero impedance.
And each of the 8 output stages (6 are used in the soekris per chip due to layout) do not have matched impedances either.

So if you really want 24 bits of precision with at least 1/2 lsb of accuracy, you have to do adjustments to get the
switches to have matched impedances. So you add trimming resistors to get things to be linear.

The question of long term stability (like 2 to 3 years later) is unknown.

silicon companies (like burr brown/ti)  that make r2r monolithic parts do the same thing, they trim with a laser before they do the final packaging.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #32 of 4,063
  Does it have any warranty?

YES there is indeed a warranty,

I can speak on behalf of HoloAudio as i'm now HoloAudio USA. The warranty for the Spring Dac is a 3 years warranty, both parts and labor, cover one way shipping (return shipping once product is confirmed a warranty claim). 

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #34 of 4,063
Has anyone done a detailed comparison with Schiit Yggy or Metrum dacs? When will it be shipping?

Also another customer I just sold a spring DAC to owns a metrum DAC. Possibly will see a review/comparison if he feels like sharing.
Some people on this thread already received theirs. Some will be getting them soon.
I can't comment many details but there is a customer I have that has a yggy and a spring. And know of other guy in China with both. Maybe you can find there reviews.

But about shipping times. Depends on when the order went in. Example: defbear should be seeing his shipment early this week! Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday! Shipping time is typical about 3-4days dhl. And production time of kitsune tuned edition is approx 2weeks. I'm only sticking to facts, so can't give any more information than this. But I'm happy to answer anyone's questions they may have if they don't pertain to subjective things or opinions or comparisons. I can't comment on this. Otherwise I'm quite happy to help with straight forward questions.

I highly recommend reading the website which truly has most all answers on there. An FAQ is in the works.

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #35 of 4,063
From an Audiogon post:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/holo-audio-spring-dac-affordable-discrete-r2r-multibit-dac-could-be

"I am a end user in hong kong , mine is a level 3 version (but my jensen cap is still on the way), and  i have option to upgrade the audionote silver isolate transformer which in front of the digital in, which make huge improve over the cheap one inside, before that i am a metrum pavane owner, i am very happy with pavane , it provide a very smooth and organic sound , strong and defination bass, sell it because to save some money, and for the holo spring performance, it really close to pavane but not better, but consider the price , it almost outclass similar competitor, and i am waiting for my jensen to make a final judgement"

So it's very good, but not better than Pavane (which is twice the price)...

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #36 of 4,063
  I think it is explained partially on the website.

But here is how it works, a R2R ladder DAC has a pile of precision resistors, and a pile of switches
in the case of the soekris, lv595 which are serial in parallel out shift registers. The output stages of these
devices are designed to drive digital circuits, not resistors. As such they have definitely non-zero impedance.
And each of the 8 output stages (6 are used in the soekris per chip due to layout) do not have matched impedances either.

So if you really want 24 bits of precision with at least 1/2 lsb of accuracy, you have to do adjustments to get the
switches to have matched impedances. So you add trimming resistors to get things to be linear.

The question of long term stability (like 2 to 3 years later) is unknown.

silicon companies (like burr brown/ti)  that make r2r monolithic parts do the same thing, they trim with a laser before they do the final packaging.

Thanks a lot for the elaborate explanation. I am starting to grasp what it means to implement a R2R ladder on a chip. No wonder why all chip makers switched to Delta Sigma chips! 
BTW The classic R2R chip is the Burr Brown PCM1704. Are all Burr Brown successors Delta Sigma chips?

Sep 5, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 4,063
Here is a shipping time update. I ordered my HoloDac through Kitsume. My Holo Spring level 3 was given to DHL Hong Kong on Sept 3rd. It is in The U.S. And should be delivered to me tomorrow Tuesday the 6th.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #40 of 4,063
I just finished breaking in the new fuse I bought for mine. AH platinum fuse -- it's a whole new level. Vocals are to die for.

Nice, how would you describe the house sound of the Dac now that you have changed the fuse? Subjective I know.
Any further input on your review of the overall sound of the dac would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Greg

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #41 of 4,063
Looking at the inside pictures of this DAC, I see a switch which reads 110V next to the blue transformer. I assume this switch is to easily change between domestic and foreign input voltage (110V/220V)?

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #42 of 4,063
Looking at the inside pictures of this DAC, I see a switch which reads 110V next to the blue transformer. I assume this switch is to easily change between domestic and foreign input voltage (110V/220V)?

Correct. but a change of fuse type is required when changing from 110 to 220v as well.

but if you were to order, the dac is sold according to voltage specs required in the country that it is ordered to ship to.

Australian dac's are the exception, as these are custom ordered for 240V spec. NOT A PROBLEM, but slightly different as the transformers are specifically made for their voltage requirements. 

are options that it can be ordered in.

Hope this clears up some questions on it's compatibility world wide. :D

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #43 of 4,063
Looking at the website, there are some pictures in which the switch (domestic/foreign input voltage) is missing. Do some models have this switch while others don't? Only asking because I have a home in the US and a home in the Philippines.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #45 of 4,063
One other question. Is this DAC considered a true fully balance DAC?

Some of the early versions didn't have a switch. Unfortunately the photos "dark black background" are of an early level 2 DAC intended for the Chinese market"

Is the voltage in phillipines 220v? Correct?
If you place your order, state what voltage you would like it to be shipped for and compatible for. It will ship configured and with proper fuse installed.
The default models for HoloAudio USA are 110/220 switchable. But you need a diff fuse when using 220, so ask for this when ordering.
Otherwise, no problem man!
Also, instructions to properly open the DAC can be provided upon request. It's very specific process to do. And detailed English instructions :) we don't provide them normally as we don't encourage users to be inside the DAC as there are no parts to service only voltage switch. Values of fuses are stated on voltage sticker on the bottom of the DAC for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back