Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #2,836 of 4,069
Hi
Anyone owning or having owned some better Chord stack like TT2 / Dave + optional Mscaler and can share comparisons vs Spring 3 KTE / May?
I am about to order Spring 3 KTE.
That review puzzled me bit though finishing with a recommendation against Holo Audio, especially Spring 3...

Only you can decide what you like.

But I think that once you get it and start listening maybe with some roon + hqplayer……you will never give that a click again. I wrote in the other topic I don’t agree with the TT2 comparison.

Get a source that can output 1.5mhz. The May can do it im not sure about the spring. Anyway 768 is good too.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #2,837 of 4,069
Only you can decide what you like.

But I think that once you get it and start listening maybe with some roon + hqplayer……you will never give that a click again. I wrote in the other topic I don’t agree with the TT2 comparison.

Get a source that can output 1.5mhz. The May can do it im not sure about the spring. Anyway 768 is good too.
Spring should be able to do 1,5 MHz too from what I understand

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #2,838 of 4,069
I am organizing a collective order for Spring 3 to get some % price reduction for Europe, preferred around Germany / NL.
Am planning to get the order placed by tomorrow.
Any seriously interested people, pls pm me.
Thx

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #2,839 of 4,069
Anyone here using Audirvana instead of HQPLAYER?
I have once purchased the one time fee desktop version (non studio) and wondering if I can set comparable upsampling / filters matching to many times before stated HQPLAYER settings of 1,5Mhz etc.

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,840 of 4,069
Actually I am not planning on getting the preamp module as the 5.8Vrms fixed output will provide more than enough headroom even with my Susvara / TC out of my Ferrum stack with analogue volume control.
I am though still hoping to get some feedback here regarding the mentioned Chord comparisons I.e TT2, anything above is anyway not comparable price wise.

Another question I have is regarding performance in a streaming setup like e.g Aries or Ifi Zen Streamer, etc or using alternative streaming services like Apple Music / Amazon Music HD where you cannot apply HQplayer upscaling / filters?
Can Spring 3 KTE be recommended at all for such scenarios compared to competitors?
I prefer UN upsampled keep that r2r natural sound

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,842 of 4,069
If I lower the output volume from the Holo Control Panel, will the DAC still transmit a bit perfect signal to the amplifiers? Assuming the Windows volume is at 100%
Should be. It would just at a lower voltage

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #2,844 of 4,069
I also plan to get the Spring 3 KTE with preamp after a ton of research and discussions with those who tastes historically more closely match mine.

I do enjoy watching Lachlan's reviews but often don't find his conclusions match mine on gear I've heard.
I like Lachlan's reviews also, but don't really agree with everything he likes, everyone is different. I have borrowed the TT2 twice & M-Scaler with my Qutest & whilst both were very good, for me they were not quite what I was looking for, just did not quite seem as "real" as I was hoping, the Spring seems to be more natural to my ears. currently still burning in so cannot give a definite review yet, but so far seems to be closer to what I am looking for & I prefer over the TT2.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #2,845 of 4,069
The Spring 3 KTE arrived yesterday, had a couple of hours listening last night & was not expecting too much straight out of the box. However, it was clear straight away that this is a fantastic DAC, even without any burn in I am seriously impressed, my much loved Qutest is not close to this DAC. Fist impressions are really just how real the music felt, very natural but still resolving. Looking forward to see what changes occur over the next few days/weeks. It connected to the Melco straight away, no issue with compatibility.
Is it your Spring 3 KTE with the preamp module installed?

BTW I´ll love to hear from someone who heard S3 KTE with and without preamp module and elaborate about the sonic differences (if any) between both versions. I´d like to know if the preamp module is almost 100% transparent as the manufacturer claims (frankly, I doubt it) and its impact on the final sound compared with a S3 KTE without preamp.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,846 of 4,069
Is it your Spring 3 KTE with the preamp module installed?

BTW I´ll love to hear from someone who heard S3 KTE with and without preamp module and elaborate about the sonic differences (if any) between both versions. I´d like to know if the preamp module is almost 100% transparent as the manufacturer claims (frankly, I doubt it) and its impact on the final sound compared with a S3 KTE without preamp.
The pre amp is almost as good as the serene is. I have the non pre. But I tend to Beleive guys like golden sound

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #2,848 of 4,069
Thanks. I know the golden sound review but I´d love to know some other first hand opinions too.
I don't know that you'll find a reviewer that had two units sent to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back