Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 14, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,821 of 4,077
Dec 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,823 of 4,077
I am due to receive my Holo Spring 3KTE Thursday. After a couple of years of consideration I recently sold off my turntable & associated hardware to focus on digital replay. I recently tried a M-Scaler with my Qutest & whilst technically it was quite impressive I was not convinced it added any significant gains in terms of emotional connection to my music. I had a similar experience when I borrowed a HugoTT2. Have taken a punt on the Spring 3 KTE after much research. I will post my impressions at a later date but expect to have a Qutest for sale quite soon if things work out as expected. I will be running the Spring from my Melco N1A EX into by Burson Soloist 3X. Hoping this set up will keep me entertained for some time.

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,824 of 4,077
I am due to receive my Holo Spring 3KTE Thursday. After a couple of years of consideration I recently sold off my turntable & associated hardware to focus on digital replay. I recently tried a M-Scaler with my Qutest & whilst technically it was quite impressive I was not convinced it added any significant gains in terms of emotional connection to my music. I had a similar experience when I borrowed a HugoTT2. Have taken a punt on the Spring 3 KTE after much research. I will post my impressions at a later date but expect to have a Qutest for sale quite soon if things work out as expected. I will be running the Spring from my Melco N1A EX into by Burson Soloist 3X. Hoping this set up will keep me entertained for some time.
Burn in is real. The first 24 hours is the most significant. It is a very bright and forward dac out of the box and cold

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #2,825 of 4,077
Just joined the Spring 3 KTE club :) Upgraded from a Bifrost 2. Now the burn-in begins!

20211213_194129.jpg

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,826 of 4,077
Just joined the Spring 3 KTE club :) Upgraded from a Bifrost 2. Now the burn-in begins!
Congratulations !! The Spring V3 KTE is an outstanding piece of kit, Enjoy !

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,829 of 4,077
The burn in process is always interesting, I quite enjoy it. I recently added the Premium braided Audeze cable (as used on the LCD-4) to my LCD-3 & this went through a few changes & is now very smooth & detailed, along with the new designed LCD pads, the two really make quite a significant improvement to the LCD-3's to the extent I will keep them for sometime. I will post my experiences of the burn in of the Holo. It is ideal arriving this side of Christmas as I have time off & will be able to get some decent listening time in. Having recently borrowed the M-scaler for my Qutest I will give my thoughts between this & the Holo Dac. The M-scaler was good, but to me did it did not get my foot tapping as much as I had hoped.

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #2,831 of 4,077
The Spring 3 KTE arrived yesterday, had a couple of hours listening last night & was not expecting too much straight out of the box. However, it was clear straight away that this is a fantastic DAC, even without any burn in I am seriously impressed, my much loved Qutest is not close to this DAC. Fist impressions are really just how real the music felt, very natural but still resolving. Looking forward to see what changes occur over the next few days/weeks. It connected to the Melco straight away, no issue with compatibility.

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,832 of 4,077
I
The Spring 3 KTE arrived yesterday, had a couple of hours listening last night & was not expecting too much straight out of the box. However, it was clear straight away that this is a fantastic DAC, even without any burn in I am seriously impressed, my much loved Qutest is not close to this DAC. Fist impressions are really just how real the music felt, very natural but still resolving. Looking forward to see what changes occur over the next few days/weeks. It connected to the Melco straight away, no issue with compatibility.
It will sound different again today lol

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #2,833 of 4,077
Hi
Anyone owning or having owned some better Chord stack like TT2 / Dave + optional Mscaler and can share comparisons vs Spring 3 KTE / May?
I am about to order Spring 3 KTE.
That review puzzled me bit though finishing with a recommendation against Holo Audio, especially Spring 3...

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,834 of 4,077
Hi
Anyone owning or having owned some better Chord stack like TT2 / Dave + optional Mscaler and can share comparisons vs Spring 3 KTE / May?
I am about to order Spring 3 KTE.
That review puzzled me bit though finishing with a recommendation against Holo Audio, especially Spring 3...

I also plan to get the Spring 3 KTE with preamp after a ton of research and discussions with those who tastes historically more closely match mine.

I do enjoy watching Lachlan's reviews but often don't find his conclusions match mine on gear I've heard.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,835 of 4,077
Actually I am not planning on getting the preamp module as the 5.8Vrms fixed output will provide more than enough headroom even with my Susvara / TC out of my Ferrum stack with analogue volume control.
I am though still hoping to get some feedback here regarding the mentioned Chord comparisons I.e TT2, anything above is anyway not comparable price wise.

Another question I have is regarding performance in a streaming setup like e.g Aries or Ifi Zen Streamer, etc or using alternative streaming services like Apple Music / Amazon Music HD where you cannot apply HQplayer upscaling / filters?
Can Spring 3 KTE be recommended at all for such scenarios compared to competitors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back