Holo Audio Red Streamer
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,546 of 1,883
I'm considering replacing a Pi2AES with a Holo Red to feed AES into a Yggy. My head says the sonic gains could be marginal though.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,547 of 1,883
I'm considering replacing a Pi2AES with a Holo Red to feed AES into a Yggy. My head says the sonic gains could be marginal though.

what are you using for a power supply?

i just got a red that replaced a rpi4b (using an older ifi ipower supply) and a simaudio moon mind2. i think the red provides a much blacker background, better soundstaging, and overall more smoothness than both. was it radical? no, but it is better. and the build quality is superb. i think it's definitely worth it, especially at the price point.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #1,548 of 1,883
I have a Zerozone LPSU powering the Pi2AES at 19v which does improve the blackground.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #1,550 of 1,883
go to the the ropiee website. Download the binaries. They have a manual. Download Balena Etcher and use it to install the files to a 16gb or greater SD card. Plug it into the back of the Holo Red and Presto! If you are trying to use Roon; this is the easiest way to go.
Make sure you install RopieeXL. Basic Ropiee does not work on Red. You can also click (upgrade to XL) once Ropiee is installed.

I did not need to change any settings once RopieeXL was installed. Just "works" and shows up in Roon as an endpoint.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,554 of 1,883
Ordered a Red two days ago.

Holy crap I have a lot of posts to read.

One thing I didn't realize is the Red is Rpi based. I had a 4b with a toslink top hat running Volumio that I sold. I thought my 2012 Macbook Pro outputting optical sounded better. Hopefully this sounds good.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #1,555 of 1,883
Ordered a Red two days ago.

Holy crap I have a lot of posts to read.

One thing I didn't realize is the Red is Rpi based. I had a 4b with a toslink top hat running Volumio that I sold. I thought my 2012 Macbook Pro outputting optical sounded better. Hopefully this sounds good.

The Red is based on a Pi Compute Module 4 which is only the core system. This allows a designer to improve on the RPI 4b by improving the power supply and adding better i/o capabilities.

I just got a Red -- I'm very pleased. Does it change the world? No. Is it a good device? Yes, very good, in my opinion.

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #1,556 of 1,883
The Red is based on a Pi Compute Module 4 which is only the core system. This allows a designer to improve on the RPI 4b by improving the power supply and adding better i/o capabilities.

I just got a Red -- I'm very pleased. Does it change the world? No. Is it a good device? Yes, very good, in my opinion.
Thanks for the explanation.

I'm also a Chord guy so we might have similar tastes.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #1,557 of 1,883
It's not just a RPI4B on the Red, Red use compute module 4 as core and rest of the subsystem is fully custom design and look at the amount of regulator of each section, it's very well engineered. Attention to detail especially on the power supply. Also good thing about using a RPI base core is there are many other software to use. I myself is using Gentooplayer which is among the best for RPI base.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 14.10.14_6ad63370.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 14.10.14_6d790370.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 14.10.14_aaf1e141.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 14.10.14_f31814c6.jpg

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #1,558 of 1,883
Has anyone experienced a change in soundstage placement with the holo red added as a ddc?
I’m looking for a way to push back the stage, as if I was seating in the 5th row instead of the first row. I use headphones and want the voice in front of me instead in my head. Since some holo products does that, like the bliss and spring 3 I was wandering about the red.
Apparently the eversolo dmp8 kind of does that but it’s bright. Does anyone know of such a thing from a ddc or streamer?

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #1,559 of 1,883
Has anyone experienced a change in soundstage placement with the holo red added as a ddc?
I’m looking for a way to push back the stage, as if I was seating in the 5th row instead of the first row. I use headphones and want the voice in front of me instead in my head. Since some holo products does that, like the bliss and spring 3 I was wandering about the red.
Apparently the eversolo dmp8 kind of does that but it’s bright. Does anyone know of such a thing from a ddc or streamer?
In my experience, the staging has been most influenced (beyond the track itself and the headphone’s default staging) by transient handling. This is the general theory behind Chord’s MScaler using 1 million taps in upsampling to better reconstruct transients. So, with the Red, your best bet would be to pair it in NAA mode with HQPlayer to do DSD256+ conversion with Sinc-M or similar filter, and output to a DSD capable DAC.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #1,560 of 1,883
What should I expect for a lead time on the Red? (from order to delivery)

Anyone compared the Red to something like a Sonore UltraRendu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back