Holo Audio Red Streamer
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #1,411 of 1,943
It works fine with USB from my PC, but USB out from the Red into May isn't working, which is why I needed to access the web interface to configure. That's why I'm not sure what's up. USB in and I2S out works fine, but not ethernet or USB out.
FYI. I had too old software in my linksys router (from 2014) and the DHCP did not give ip to Red before I upgraded the router firmware. Though Windows and Apple clients were working ok before upgrade. Only Red was affected.

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,412 of 1,943
There are PC tools to build new bootable sd card but otherwise works out of the box if you aren’t rebuilding a new OS boot card.

Since this streamer works out of the box with multiple options within the software (setup) menu -- what is the reason someone would want to rebuild a new OS boot card at the get-go ?

I don't quite follow why someone would rebuild an OS Card that works right out of the box ?

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #1,413 of 1,943
Since this streamer works out of the box with multiple options within the software (setup) menu -- what is the reason someone would want to rebuild a new OS boot card at the get-go ?

I don't quite follow why someone would rebuild an OS Card that works right out of the box ?
I ran my Red in NAA mode only.
Holo is a bit slow to upgrade the NAA.
Jussi provides a dedicated NAA for PI devices.
With Jussi's NAA, the Red only operates as NAA.
I thought that it performed best this way as NAA and I could have the latest NAA OS without waiting for Holo to update.

May the source be with you!

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #1,414 of 1,943
Hi Guys,
Need a bit of help with using Holo Red as a DDC. I have been using it as a HQPlayer NAA and I was able to get all its outputs (HDMI, USB and RCA digital coax working). I now want to use it as a DDC.
I am connecting my iPhone via USB input (USB A via iPhone camera adapter to USB B holo red input). Then connecting the RCA coax Holo red output to the RCA digital coax input. But there is no sound. On my iPhone (in the Qobuz app), I can see that the phone is able to recognize the Holo Red but nothing after that. Do I need to do something additional for it to work as DDC? My DAC only has a RCA coax input.

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,415 of 1,943
Hi Guys,
Need a bit of help with using Holo Red as a DDC. I have been using it as a HQPlayer NAA and I was able to get all its outputs (HDMI, USB and RCA digital coax working). I now want to use it as a DDC.
I am connecting my iPhone via USB input (USB A via iPhone camera adapter to USB B holo red input). Then connecting the RCA coax Holo red output to the RCA digital coax input. But there is no sound. On my iPhone (in the Qobuz app), I can see that the phone is able to recognize the Holo Red but nothing after that. Do I need to do something additional for it to work as DDC? My DAC only has a RCA coax input.
In case anyone has this brain freeze, the iPhone needs to be unmuted and at full volume for this to work.

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,418 of 1,943
I have not heard Red. Any idea how it may compare in terms of SQ with other streamers I am considering, such as Lumin U2 or Rose RS130?

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #1,419 of 1,943
Yes, coming. Said a big step forward in sound quality.

What do you mean "yes, coming" -

Do the new units ship with the updated OS, or is the update coming soon ? Was not clear by your post and the other post immediately preceding you #1416

Edit --> appears from the website the update is indeed coming soon (not yet out). Stating the obvious for those that already are aware.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #1,423 of 1,943
I`m on GentooPlayer with Diretta Targett Protokoll on the RED. To my ears it is a big improvement!.
I have it already for some months - it sounds great.
I think I will try the new OS on a different card to see, if it matches my current system...
My Intell Nuc with HQ-Player is the diretta host and the red is the diretta target. I have a Intell Nuc with i9 – the nuc is able to do 512DSD

The Red is feeding the Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
With this combination, It is the first time, that I hear a substantial soundstage (with Susvara)

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,424 of 1,943
Can the RED's outputs have multiple cables plugged in at the same time? Any issue having AES and I2S (out) plugged in simultaneously ?

I've owned other streamers before where the outputs were NOT isolated and the manufacterur recommended only using one at a time.

Has anyone confirmed this with Holo ?

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,425 of 1,943
an the RED's outputs have multiple cables plugged in at the same time? Any issue having AES and I2S (out) plugged in simultaneously ?
..yes it can. I have hat the USB and I2S pluged in and both are working when I switch the dac to the source (I2S/USB)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back