Holo Audio Red Streamer
Sep 4, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #1,174 of 1,943
Spring 3 KTE has the opticallly isolated USB input that May has, so theoretically there is no need for a DDC. Red has an extremely good and clean USB output, so if you use Red as a streamer into Spring, it will be better. I do this with May KTE. In my other stack, I have USB from PC to Spring 3 KTE, and it’s great. For that system I I use it for computer sound to, so don’t have a streamer on the loop.

Sep 4, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #1,175 of 1,943
Spring 3 KTE has the opticallly isolated USB input that May has, so theoretically there is no need for a DDC. Red has an extremely good and clean USB output, so if you use Red as a streamer into Spring, it will be better. I do this with May KTE. In my other stack, I have USB from PC to Spring 3 KTE, and it’s great. For that system I I use it for computer sound to, so don’t have a streamer on the loop.
i see, cool, thanks for chiming in!

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #1,176 of 1,943
Is it possible to run Roon Core on the Holo Red?

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,178 of 1,943
Two days ago I received a 6 months old (but as new) Red with a SR Purple fuse. Although I am perfectly happy with the SQ of my current Audio-GD DI20HE, this cannot play DSD over I2S with many DACs as it does not send the so called DSD flag on pin 15 (or 14 or 16).

I tried some setups with the Red. I found the sound with the Red as streamer, either with the Red OS or even with GentooPlayer as Diretta target, underwhelming. However as DDC instead of the DI20HE the Red sounds gorgeous. More precise than the latter, a little less hypnotic. A question of taste maybe. For now I prefer the Red but that could be the new toy syndrome. I also tried putting the Red and the DI20HE in series:
Afterdark Rosanna Diretta Network Bridge > USB-fiber-USB > Red > RCA spdif > DI20HE > I2S > Audio-GD R8HE Mk2
This sounds very good, clean and musically organic. In spite of my usual preference for DSD, I will listen with this chain for the coming week or so.

About the possibility of letting the Red do USB IN via DDC to USB OUT: the information that I found on this is somewhat confusing, but I believe this is not possible? Did anyone succeed in doing that? In that case I could do the above setup with f.i. DSD256...

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,179 of 1,943
Two days ago I received a 6 months old (but as new) Red with a SR Purple fuse. Although I am perfectly happy with the SQ of my current Audio-GD DI20HE, this cannot play DSD over I2S with many DACs as it does not send the so called DSD flag on pin 15 (or 14 or 16).

I tried some setups with the Red. I found the sound with the Red as streamer, either with the Red OS or even with GentooPlayer as Diretta target, underwhelming. However as DDC instead of the DI20HE the Red sounds gorgeous. More precise than the latter, a little less hypnotic. A question of taste maybe. For now I prefer the Red but that could be the new toy syndrome. I also tried putting the Red and the DI20HE in series:
Afterdark Rosanna Diretta Network Bridge > USB-fiber-USB > Red > RCA spdif > DI20HE > I2S > Audio-GD R8HE Mk2
This sounds very good, clean and musically organic. In spite of my usual preference for DSD, I will listen with this chain for the coming week or so.

About the possibility of letting the Red do USB IN via DDC to USB OUT: the information that I found on this is somewhat confusing, but I believe this is not possible? Did anyone succeed in doing that? In that case I could do the above setup with f.i. DSD256...
Just some question:

The holo red works fine with DSD file to your R8HE MKII DAC? if yes with Holo pinout set on Red?
I my experience with the DDC Gustard U18 it's very important the I2s cable, wich one used?

Last one... if you are interested to sell the Holo Red, drop me a pvt message...

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,180 of 1,943
The holo red works fine with DSD file to your R8HE MKII DAC? if yes with Holo pinout set on Red?
Yes, and I am now on default pin 4.

I my experience with the DDC Gustard U18 it's very important the I2s cable, wich one used?
In my experience the I2S cable is not critical (apart from SQ). The main thing is that some DACs (like another one I ordered) require the DSD flag on pin 15 in order to recognize DSD. The cable is not the bottleneck, but the source device is required to send the voltage on that pin. The DI20HE alas does not do that. So I am planning to use the Red for this new DAC. A friend confirmed that this will be fine with the Red on pin 3, so I am confident.

Last one... if you are interested to sell the Holo Red, drop me a pvt message...
Not in the foreseeable future :)

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #1,182 of 1,943
Can this be used with PC on USB-In and the DAC on USB-Out without any significant latency?
Seems be intresting for a combination to use with PC audio and Roon / NAA.

Currently using:

PC (PC audio) > USB > Topping HS02 (for manual switching) > USB > DAC
Pi4 (RoPieee XL) > USB (when using HQPlayer via Roon) > Topping HS02 (for manual switching) > USB > DAC
Pi4 (RoPieee XL) > S/PDIF (when using Roon directly) > DAC

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #1,183 of 1,943
I have been using the red with my holo stack since ~June and enjoying the no nonsence quality playback, room endpoint etc.

1. Has anyone been successful -or is it possible - in upsampling to obtain 1.5mhz on PCM in roon? If so any guidance to setup is appreciated. (I am finding dsd good but a bit soft at times). I am using USB.

2. Has anyone applied optical/fiber isolation on thier ethernet before the red and did it make marketable difference/improvement?

Sep 30, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #1,185 of 1,943
Would you mind explain what you found "underwhelming" about the Red as a streamer?
Thanks
For the same reason for which I'm not using the Red a streamer.
@bodiebill2 followed my advice, and he puts USB fiber between a USB streamer, and his DDCs.
When the Red is used as a DDC, it is a more silent device than when it is used as streamer, because it does not run its Rpi4 + an OS.
The USB fiber that precedes the Red removes the noise of the streamer, and the quality of the sound improves seriously.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back