Holo Audio Red Streamer
May 31, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #991 of 1,871
I never understood the purpose of the redirector. Could you please explain what scenario that could be used for as I use mine only as a streamer.
The USB redirector is basically a 'Force the USB input to use this' option.
So if you set the USB redirector to use the 'RED' outputs (I2S/AES/SPDIF) then the streamer won't see them as they're manually set to the USB input. But this then allows you to use the USB output via the streamer, and the RED outputs via the USB connection.

You should in theory also be able to set it so that it forces the connected USB device to the USB input, making the RED act as a 'USB Reclocker' so to speak (even though that term REALLY shouldn't be used for USB), but afaik no one has been able to do this yet so idk if it's possible yet.

May 31, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #992 of 1,871
So if you set the USB redirector to use the 'RED' outputs (I2S/AES/SPDIF) then the streamer won't see them as they're manually set to the USB input. But this then allows you to use the USB output via the streamer, and the RED outputs via the USB connection.

You should in theory also be able to set it so that it forces the connected USB device to the USB input, making the RED act as a 'USB Reclocker' so to speak (even though that term REALLY shouldn't be used for USB), but afaik no one has been able to do this yet so idk if it's possible yet.

Sorry, i'm still confused. I understand it changing or redirecting, but to what end or benefit would doing this pose while simultaneously being used as a streamer?

May 31, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #993 of 1,871
Sorry, i'm still confused. I understand it changing or redirecting, but to what end or benefit would doing this pose while simultaneously being used as a streamer?
Just that it enables that functionality. There's no performance alteration

May 31, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #994 of 1,871

I’d love to see a firmware that allows this to occur, and also the previously suggested availability of 1.5/1024 capability over i2s.

May 31, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #995 of 1,871
I’d love to see a firmware that allows this to occur, and also the previously suggested availability of 1.5/1024 capability over i2s.
1.536mhz/DSD1024 over I2S likely won't happen. (It can do it over USB though).

This is a limitation of the I2S LVDS transport method itself. Most DACs/Sources will not be stable with sample rates that high (some stuff won't even work properly at 768khz) so it's unlikely.

May 31, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #996 of 1,871
1.536mhz/DSD1024 over I2S likely won't happen. (It can do it over USB though).

This is a limitation of the I2S LVDS transport method itself. Most DACs/Sources will not be stable with sample rates that high (some stuff won't even work properly at 768khz) so it's unlikely.
And yes, it does it very well over USB.

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #997 of 1,871
You can use the USB in and the streaming simultaneously.
You have to restart if you want to swap the I2S/AES etc outputs from the USB input to the streamer, BUT, if you set it so that the 'USB redirector' forces the I2S/AES/SPDIF outputs to the USB input, then you can use both at the same time, allowing USB input to control the I2S/AES/SPDIF outs and the streamer to control the USB out

Mmmm, not precisely what I'd hoped for however it will at least allow me to reduce box count so that is something. Thankyou for your response on this :)

I'll have to compare sonics of the Gustard U18 output to AES vs the RED. I have the U18 and DAC synced from the same external clock so it will be interesting to see which pulls ahead given the RED measures better though the U18 will have the more precise clock signal.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #998 of 1,871
I use Tidal connect every day. Stable, minimalistic setup. Last time I tested, there was no difference in sound or it was not big enough to stay with upnp+audirvana+tidal. I just go tidal connect in a few seconds if I want to listen to the music.

This has been my experience with the Red and Tidal Connect also. It takes a few seconds to access the album from the off, but once its locked in the experience is smooth and painfree.

20230602_163420.jpg

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #999 of 1,871
I was using the red solely to stream from my home network, but then I added Spotify. What I've noticed is that if I am streaming from my local server, but then want to switch to Spotify, I have to turn the RED off and on again. That seems kludgey. Am I missing something?

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,000 of 1,871
I was using the red solely to stream from my home network, but then I added Spotify. What I've noticed is that if I am streaming from my local server, but then want to switch to Spotify, I have to turn the RED off and on again. That seems kludgey. Am I missing something?
No you miss nothing. I have noticed the same problem with Spotify. After several tests, it is a bug with the last two Red OS update. So you can stay with the 2023-03-10 update or change for another OS. Now I have the Gentooplayer OS : the sound quality is better (and I have test ropieeeXL, mood, Red OS, volumio), no pb when you want switch the software (UPnP to Spotify to UPnP). You can test a lot of configuration. But it is not free 😉

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,001 of 1,871
All, I recently picked up the Holo May KTE and Serene KTE and have the Red Streamer on Order. A few questions for the group onn the Red:

a) I have read through a decent part of the forum but have not picked up a general feel for the best output to the DAC from the Red Streamer. USB: due to Galvanic Isolation and using the MAY's clock vs. I2S: generally a very solid method, seperated clock data stream, although would use the streamer's (lesser?) clock ...what has worked best for you?

b) I have Deanfrips Hermes DDC around from my prior setup (ponuts II etc.) does anyone see any value in putting this between the Red and May. Or does the very low jitter for both eliminate any need.

I will, of course, expertiment when the Red comes, but interested in any thoughts from @GoldenOne and all.

Thanks in advance as always. I'm looking forward to this little firecracker hitting my system soon.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,003 of 1,871
Marcus, Nice stack. How are you connecting the Red to your Serene?
The Red connects into the May via HDMI-I2S, currently I use it exclusively with Tidal Connect. I have only had it a week or so, and so am still bedding it in. No regrets so far though :)

Jun 3, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #1,005 of 1,871
Thank you. I like the upsampled pcm out of roon (I have not tried hqplayer-yet). What are you using for a I2S cable?

Any thoughts if a ddc would still be useful. My guess is the Hermes has better clocks than the red but is limited in it's I/O bit rate capability (384 output on i2s). I will try it (when the red comes) but I get the feeling I will be selling my Hermes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back