Holo Audio Red Streamer
May 9, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #916 of 1,923
concerning, as someone who has an order placed. I'm anticipating the "Sorry" email will come at some point, or the Red will. Or it could be something as simple as a website restore/update failed to include the Red, but that's being optimistic.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #919 of 1,923
Interesting... pure speculation but perhaps it is a parts availability issue? Yesterday, I noticed a used Red popped up on The Music Room site, at about $100 off retail, but someone bought it quickly after listing.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #921 of 1,923
I have a Red on the way, can't find info about the Fuse in the thread. Is it a 5x20 3.15a? I've got an extra purple fuse laying around I may use in it if it's that size..
From the Red manual:

1683740744083.jpeg

May 10, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #922 of 1,923
:thumbsup:did you have a psu with the sotm ? By the way 2 or 3 of you note a real evolution with the Holo compared to the sotm, it's starting to count.

"The gain is very small" --> this made me laugh :smile:
..yes I have Plixir psu - the price for the psu is close to the red :wink:

Today I have a good cable on my susvara - now it sound much better :wink:
The standard cable is trash - on youtube there are some they say that the susvara vs. Arja is night and day - I say the different is close to 20%.
We all know that the last bit of sound cost a lot...

May 10, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #923 of 1,923
..yes I have Plixir psu - the price for the psu is close to the red :wink:

Today I have a good cable on my susvara - now it sound much better :wink:
The standard cable is trash - on youtube there are some they say that the susvara vs. Arja is night and day - I say the different is close to 20%.
We all know that the last bit of sound cost a lot...

which cable you got for susvara?

I have double helix cables prion 4 and stock cable, somehow I like stock more than prion 4. Maybe because susvara sounds better with all copper cable.
prion 4 is more technical, but too much of details IMO makes it congested.

sorry to derail this thread.

May 12, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #924 of 1,923
I still have not decided on buying the Red. Looks nice and measures great. But I wonder whether the lower noise floor than a Bluesound Node for example or cheaper alternatives, would be a real 'audible' advantage since I also have a Holo Spring 3 kte. One of the reasons I bought that DAC was because it has great filtering on the USB in. So how much effect will the streamer have and at which point / device is the tipping point that no real advantage is heared anymore?

May 12, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #925 of 1,923
which cable you got for susvara?
..it is a Lavricable „Grand Line“ (bought for the Arya)

Yesterday I received an Adapter from fogcityaudio.com to connect the Susvara to my SPL performer s800, the Bliss as preamp – I think the amp is in the same class as the Benchmark.

Now the Susvara has “Meat”. So my opinion the Bliss drives the Susvara well, but if you want it very good you still have to connect the Susvara to a Speaker-Amp.

The Adapter from fogictyaudio is very good…

For me it is no way back to connect the Susvara direct to the Bliss. The downside is it cost a lot of electricity…

rack.jpg
adapter.jpg
susvara.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #926 of 1,923
The Ferrum Hypsos+Oor drives the Susvara very well. I've heard that the Bliss drives it better though, and I've heard that Speaker Amps drive it about the same as the Oor, so now I don't know who to believe - just that the Ferrum Stack is incredible and I should just be content.

May 12, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #927 of 1,923
The Ferrum Hypsos+Oor drives the Susvara very well. I've heard that the Bliss drives it better though, and I've heard that Speaker Amps drive it about the same as the Oor, so now I don't know who to believe - just that the Ferrum Stack is incredible and I should just be content.
I have a Red coming in tomorrow or Monday. Got it from a friend.

Btw I use Susvara with Ferrum stack and Bliss. Cannot go wrong with either. Hard for me to comment on differences since the DAC used with each color things differently.

May 13, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #928 of 1,923
I have a Red coming in tomorrow or Monday. Got it from a friend.

Btw I use Susvara with Ferrum stack and Bliss. Cannot go wrong with either. Hard for me to comment on differences since the DAC used with each color things differently.
Nice! Makes sense. Let us know how you like it! I have a Khozmo Pre coming in on Monday! My Red's still on backorder.

May 14, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #929 of 1,923
Greetings again from Finland!
@Jake2
I tested my "system" with and without the DI20HE, so directly from the Red´s I²S connection to R-27 2021 and as I used to do it, from Red´s USB out to DI20HE and from there via I²S to R-27 2021.

Directly from Red via I²S: It has darker background and soundstage widened a bit and became a bit deeper. "Biggest" differences were found in the bass and treble region. More air and more "zing", string instruments and the "vibration" on the string were more hearable. The quiet bits of a song and fade outs had more material suddenly. Bass region was a dissapointment, it was somehow "muddier" and with less resolution and separation and ooomph / attack. Tested with LCD-X 2021.

After listening Opeth´s Watershed album (I´m very familiar with that album) I decided to go back to "normal" with a bit less "zing" and clarity in the upper register and with more authority and attack in low frequensies. For my taste the DI20HE has a place in my "system" after this brief test. The differences weren´t night and day, I would estimate well under 5%. But there was a noticeable difference. For me, I´m going to continue with DI20HE in the chain.

After disconnecting the HDMI from Red and plugging in USB cable I discovered that the USB out connector was loose! I mean very loose...and this was only the second time that I have even used that connection / plugged in USB cable. Contacted Jos from Magna and I´ll be shipping the Red back for inspection / warranty repairs. Magna has great customer service!

May 14, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #930 of 1,923
Thank you for sharing your invaluable impressions of the using the Red with your R-27, with and without the DI-20HE in between.

I wonder whether or not the sound from using the Red alone would improve after several dozen hours of being used.:thinking:

I'm looking to get a Red for my living room setup, while also upgrading the office/desktop/bedroom setup, so one (or potentially two) less DI-20HE units could save me some coin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back