Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 15, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #796 of 1,923
New firmware update.
Anyone have a clue what is new with this update? Rather frustrating being blind on these things, we can't even tell which versions of the apps are installed. Cheers!

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #798 of 1,923
Hi guys, what's the preferred output method out of the Holo Red? USB/LAB/I2S? Anyone have a recommendation?
I would say that it depends on the DAC you're using it with. Some DACs are better when fed via a particular input.

Example - some DACs sound great via I2S, but nowhere near as good via USB. Other DACs sound great when fed with USB. Some DACs sound best via an SPDIF input. Etc.

Did you have a particular DAC in mind?

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #799 of 1,923
N100H is like 3x the price of RED.
Matrix X-Spdif is DDC only, no streamer, no LPSU.

Whats wrong with Raspberry CM4? Only CPU and RAM. All other are custom made by Holo Audio.

For 999€ the RED is pretty good deal or bang for buck. No dedicated app is pro, also CM4 is a pro, tons of software is a pro, no cons come to mind. I would say another app would be con. Browser is the way to go. I'm very happy with the sound from LMS to RED and exactly what I was looking for. :)
Can Red run LMS or do you just use it as a player/streamer in squeezelite? I'm forever looking for a high quality server and streamer for LMS.

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #800 of 1,923
I would say that it depends on the DAC you're using it with. Some DACs are better when fed via a particular input.

Example - some DACs sound great via I2S, but nowhere near as good via USB. Other DACs sound great when fed with USB. Some DACs sound best via an SPDIF input. Etc.

Did you have a particular DAC in mind?
Hey Thanks for the reply Brillo,

I'm planning to use the Red with a Gustard R26 (if the Red ever arrives :D) I've heard its USB and SPDIF aren't as high quality as say its LAN connection but that could just be hearsay as well, so I'm planning to test both a networked setup and a straight to USB configuration to check for preferences/differences. So basically the outputs of the Red are solid in all regards, and the real quality will be determined by that of the DAC. Can't wait to add it to the chain.

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #802 of 1,923

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #803 of 1,923
Help..?

I can't get any sound out of this setup I am trying to get working:

PC -> ethernet/USB -> Red -> USB out -> Border Patrol DAC -> amp. (player output device = ???)

But I get sound with:

PC -> ethernet/USB -> Red -> coax out -> SMSL DAC -> amp. (player output device = Red USB)

USB Redirector is off, I believe. I tried it on. I was able to get pure static out of the first setup, with some particular setting.

Using MediaMonkey to test, which seems to be the only player I have that actually recognizes Red.

I thought this was a DDC or DAC, but people seem to be saying it's just a DDC now..?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #804 of 1,923
Greetings from Finland:beerchug:
I have been dicking around with my new Holo Red for a few days now and loving it! This thing is really build like a tank! Really substantial piece of gear:relaxed:
For me it was just plug and play, about 7 minutes from opening the box to updating the software.

Coming from Zen Stream this was great news, I had some problems. Now it (ZS) seems to be working fine, thanks goes to @Mr BubbaHyde for not giving up with me.

There has been need of comparison with the Red and Zen Stream on this thread and I can kind of ansver to those questions; there has been over a half of year period that I haven´t used the Zen Stream in my main system so take this with a grain of salt:

Build: There is no question, the Red wins hands down! This is really put together like a full metal block. Gets nice and warm but not hot by any means.
Connectivity: Red wins again, at least in my case it was just putting the SD -card in and plugging the network cable in. No wifi, if that is a thing some can have problems with it.
Sound guality: This is a difficult one, the unit (Red) is a new one so not much burning in has happened but my experience so far is cleaner representation with details compared to ZS. This of course adds to soundfield and to the depth of it, at least in my modest system. And this is from memory because I haven´t used the ZS in my main system for a while because of "issues". Is the Red worth of over double price? YES!

Things that I would like to know:

Using another software, for example moOde, is it possible to use the USB in (USB B) to connect a SSD drive directly to the Red? So it still functions as a streamer and I can access the flacs from the app?

With stock Red OS, what software people use to play music from UPnP? I have only tried BubbleUPnP free version for few days.

If I shut the Red down via tablet/software, is there another way to turn it on other that using the power switch from the back?

I know these are "beginners questions" but that is just what I am with the Red. Would like to hear Your input.

EDIT: My chain is: Holo Red--->USB out--->Audio-Gd DI20HE--->I²S--->Audio-Gd R27 2021.

EDIT2: I haven´t even tried the I²S output from the Red, just enjoying the tunes right now, I´ll get back to you with comparison with DI20HE and without.

Thank You :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #806 of 1,923
Using another software, for example moOde, is it possible to use the USB in (USB B) to connect a SSD drive directly to the Red? So it still functions as a streamer and I can access the flacs from the app?
Yes as that is how I ran mine at the start with MoOde. Plugged my SSD drive direct to the Red and it showed up and was able to play from music files off the drive.

I would also be tempted at some stage to use the i2S straight from the RED to your R27 bypassing the DI20HE to see how it goes too. If it is supported. Never sure with the different i2S pin outs that seem to be out there.

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #807 of 1,923
Anyone else have a loose USB Out port?

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #808 of 1,923
Red arrived today a bit ahead of the scheduled 6 weeks + shipping. 1 day shy of 6 weeks from placing the order. Not too shabby. Hopefully get a chance to hook it up before the weekend 🤞 My first streamer so I’m looking forward to see if I get any discernible improvements over running off PC
So, what are your first impressions?

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #809 of 1,923
Thank you rocky500 for ansvering my question:beerchug:Were you using the USB out to DAC and USB in from a drive at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back