Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 22, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #811 of 1,924
Loose in what way? Does the whole port wiggle or does your USB cable slide back and forth?
I can plug a USB connector in snugly, but the socket itself, internally, is loose.

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #812 of 1,924
I can plug a USB connector in snugly, but the socket itself, internally, is loose.
Mine has quite a bit of play at the connector but I can't tell whether it is moving internally. Initially I was concerned about this but it doesn' seem to be causing any problems with playback.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #813 of 1,924
Mine has quite a bit of play at the connector but I can't tell whether it is moving internally. Initially I was concerned about this but it doesn' seem to be causing any problems with playback.
Yeah, I don't think I've experienced any physical disconnections yet from it. It's the one shoddy thing about the build I've found.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #814 of 1,924
Thank you rocky500 for ansvering my question:beerchug:Were you using the USB out to DAC and USB in from a drive at the same time?
I have only ever used the i2S out to my Holo Spring 3 Dac with the Red as this has always been the best way to connect my Holo Dacs in the past.
Have been using Holo Dacs since the first spring 1 Dac, I bought many years ago. Used a Singxer SU-1 back then too with i2S.
So not sure of any other combos if they will work.

I could only get one OS (Moode) to play music. Seems to work quite easily with setup of generic i2S.
It looks like with Volumio, someone has to send in a bit of info to them (designer etc), so they can add it to their releases.

Not sure if you saw the photo I posted before as it was showing the SSD connected to my setup.

Attachments

• 20230311_162042.jpg
    20230311_162042.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #815 of 1,924
So, what are your first impressions?
First thing….setup was a breeze. I didn’t have any issues I’ve seen others talk about. Had 3 updates to go through and it was good to go. All set in under 10 minutes.
My connection: Ethernet in using as Roon bridge, Red-> May kte (Curious usb)-> Feliks Envy (BJC XLR) / Schiit Folkvangr (AQ rca)-> Susvara, Hd800s, Radiance, Clear OG mainly.

Definitely an upgrade in sound quality over coming usb from my laptop. Specifically… increased clarity and separation, blacker background. Not sure how best to describe it exactly but notes in general have more weight, sound is more impactful and dynamic. Early stages so far but that’s first thoughts.
So far, so good 👍

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #816 of 1,924
First thing….setup was a breeze. I didn’t have any issues I’ve seen others talk about. Had 3 updates to go through and it was good to go. All set in under 10 minutes.
My connection: Ethernet in using as Roon bridge, Red-> May kte (Curious usb)-> Feliks Envy (BJC XLR) / Schiit Folkvangr (AQ rca)-> Susvara, Hd800s, Radiance, Clear OG mainly.

Definitely an upgrade in sound quality over coming usb from my laptop. Specifically… increased clarity and separation, blacker background. Not sure how best to describe it exactly but notes in general have more weight, sound is more impactful and dynamic. Early stages so far but that’s first thoughts.
So far, so good 👍
Great news. It's so nice to invest in a new device and be fulfilled by our expectations!! watch out for future upgrades 😁

I think I'm going to crack soon. This is to replace my SOTM 200 neo streamer + sps-500 PSU + Singxer SU6.

I want to reduce my number of boxes, if possible to benefit from an improvement in sound and above all to be able to continue playing with HqPlayer NAA, Bubleupnp, Spotify for the family,...

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #817 of 1,924
I could only get one OS (Moode) to play music.
Did you try RopieeeXL? I couldn't get this to work but I need to try again using a different DAC, I believe there is an incompatibility issue with my Ayre QX-5 Twenty and the Red. It definitely hasn't been as smooth sailing with the Red and UPnP as I had hoped. Interestingly, just putting Raspberry Pi OS and mpd/upmpdcli on a card seems to work fine.

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #818 of 1,924
Did you try RopieeeXL? I couldn't get this to work but I need to try again using a different DAC, I believe there is an incompatibility issue with my Ayre QX-5 Twenty and the Red. It definitely hasn't been as smooth sailing with the Red and UPnP as I had hoped. Interestingly, just putting Raspberry Pi OS and mpd/upmpdcli on a card seems to work fine.
For myself, I was really looking for a stand alone player/streamer that could work with i2S.
I also use a PC that I have Foobar etc on then USB to the Holo Red in DDC mode with i2S to the Holo Dac.
Will work out which way I might prefer. DDC or streamer.
PC is using a JCat USB card and I am finding it is working really well so far.

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #819 of 1,924
Specifically… increased clarity and separation, blacker background. Not sure how best to describe it
My impressions so far, from random listening/YouTube from my speakers, compared to no DDC:

Smoother, more realistic/non-digital liquid-like sound, with increased resolution.
1544045561718-shutterstock_280359362.jpeg

PC -> USB -> Red -> coax -> SMSL Sanskrit 10th MkII
@ 24-bit/44.1

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #820 of 1,924
Great news. It's so nice to invest in a new device and be fulfilled by our expectations!! watch out for future upgrades 😁

I think I'm going to crack soon. This is to replace my SOTM 200 neo streamer + sps-500 PSU + Singxer SU6.

I want to reduce my number of boxes, if possible to benefit from an improvement in sound and above all to be able to continue playing with HqPlayer NAA, Bubleupnp, Spotify for the family,...
Yeah, I’m happy with it! Granted, I don’t have any experience with other like components to compare so I can’t speak to that. In my case though, the Red accomplished getting my laptop from being directly connected to my chain and it’s a pretty significant improvement.

Also glad to finally have something because I’ve been researching and debating what direction to go for source/server/player for well over a year. All the SGC, Rendu, Innuous, Antipodes…😬 it’s kinda overwhelming.! Especially with SGC and all the filters/PSUs etc!!! Yikes

My goal is also to add HQP . Currently use Roon but not HQP. My thought is to get a SonicTransporter i7 next to handle Roon and HQP upscaling out to Red and be done! (Like that’s a thing!)
Any thoughts on components to run Roon/HQP (maxed) on?? TIA

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #821 of 1,924
Yeah, I’m happy with it! Granted, I don’t have any experience with other like components to compare so I can’t speak to that. In my case though, the Red accomplished getting my laptop from being directly connected to my chain and it’s a pretty significant improvement.

Also glad to finally have something because I’ve been researching and debating what direction to go for source/server/player for well over a year. All the SGC, Rendu, Innuous, Antipodes…😬 it’s kinda overwhelming.! Especially with SGC and all the filters/PSUs etc!!! Yikes

My goal is also to add HQP . Currently use Roon but not HQP. My thought is to get a SonicTransporter i7 next to handle Roon and HQP upscaling out to Red and be done! (Like that’s a thing!)
Any thoughts on components to run Roon/HQP (maxed) on?? TIA

Man, you are in for serious hurtin! Don't listen to me, but if I had to do it all over again, i'd get the best cpu at least or always be wondering what is possible. Thankfully, for my enjoyment, I didn't need the gpu and returned it.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #822 of 1,924
I've heard its USB and SPDIF aren't as high quality as say its LAN connection but that could just be hearsay as well, so I'm planning to test both a networked setup and a straight to USB configuration to check for preferences/differences. So basically the outputs of the Red are solid in all regards
Well, the ethernet is only an input. USB is input or output. SPDIF is only output. So depends on what setup/usage you want.

Do you only want to use Red as a streamer..? Then use ethernet input.
Do you want to use Red as a DDC, to play any/all sounds off your computer..? Then use USB input.

For outputs, use the best one your DAC supports. AES or I2S, probably. Coax sounds great, too, as I'm sure all of the outputs on Red do.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #823 of 1,924
Hi,
I wanted to try other OS with the Red, to output over Spdif.

Moode 64 bits : unable to configure the hat (not showing up)
Moode 32 bits : the Holo Audio hat appears and is working fine

I'm stuck with Ropieee XL, which "hat" should I select to get it working over spdif please ?
List of available hats : https://ropieee.org/audio_hardware/

Thanks in advance

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #824 of 1,924
Hi,
I wanted to try other OS with the Red, to output over Spdif.

Moode 64 bits : unable to configure the hat (not showing up)
Moode 32 bits : the Holo Audio hat appears and is working fine

I'm stuck with Ropieee XL, which "hat" should I select to get it working over spdif please ?
List of available hats : https://ropieee.org/audio_hardware/

Thanks in advance
Just following as I do not yet own a Red, but with Ropieee if your specific hat isn't listed Just use the generic Hat, for any "Hats" I had using a RPI it was always that one if yours wasn't listed in the main selection...

Hope that helps!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back