Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #436 of 1,919
If this has been covered I apologize, but can the Red in streamer mode output to one device using its i2s and another device using its AES/EBU for example or is it an "1 or" situation?
You can do both afaik

Thanks for your reply
Got it working.
Disappointing that using DLNA you cant control volume except via the renderer and not the software player volume controls
Hmm, will depend on the implementation of the streaming application?
Not sure but I think Audirvana allows volume control in the remote control app?
Yeah this will depend on the player. Some players try to address device volume some apply dsp volume. If you're on Roon you can choose. Set it to dsp volume and it'll work. Pretty sure audirvana can choose too

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #437 of 1,919
I can’t connect to red.local now… worked Friday night now nothing.
Red also randomly stopped playback, had to restart it to get it working.
So far I’ve been a little annoyed with this device.
Networked audio definitely can be finicky at times.
Maybe this is a dropped IP address issue?
Could there have been a power glitch that caused you to need to re-boot?
I keep all of my IP addressed hardware on a small UPS, any little power hiccup might cause me to have to re-establish communication handshakes.

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #438 of 1,919
Networked audio definitely can be finicky at times.
Maybe this is a dropped IP address issue?
Could there have been a power glitch that caused you to need to re-boot?
I keep all of my IP addressed hardware on a small UPS, any little power hiccup might cause me to have to re-establish communication handshakes.
I’ll try to reset everything. I already turned the red off and back on. Still couldn’t connect to red.local.
I’ll power it all off and see.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #439 of 1,919
I’ll try to reset everything. I already turned the red off and back on. Still couldn’t connect to red.local.
I’ll power it all off and see.
Try using the app 'fing' to see what the IP is and go to it manually.

Sometimes router caching can break stuff like this. Networking can be frustratingly finicky especially when a lot of stuff is being handled 'automatically'

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #441 of 1,919
Using the Red supplied os, it works great via dlna using jriver. MP3, flac and dsd play as expected
I have tried to use ropieee (hoping it will allow me volume control where jriver does not) and i cannot get an output. Using both the newer and older versions provide zero output.
When using supplied os my dac reads the appropriate file type and sample rate.
When using ropieee, the dac reads dsd512.

Anyone that has had success with ropieee did you have this problem and if so, what was the fix.
I am going to get a different dac and see if it fixes the problem

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #442 of 1,919
You can do both afaik

Yeah this will depend on the player. Some players try to address device volume some apply dsp volume. If you're on Roon you can choose. Set it to dsp volume and it'll work. Pretty sure audirvana can choose too
roon works fine, jriver not so much. The reason, i believe, is roon is not dlna where jriver is. Audirvana, i believe is also dlna.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #443 of 1,919
roon works fine, jriver not so much. The reason, i believe, is roon is not dlna where jriver is. Audirvana, i believe is also dlna.
Even over dnla you can still do DSP vol control. That's a player thing

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #444 of 1,919
:)

84242BA5-4CBE-46BC-9984-00C5D1A86990.jpeg

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #445 of 1,919
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #446 of 1,919
that's the shunyata venom usb...somehow it still works! :)

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #447 of 1,919
Even over dnla you can still do DSP vol control. That's a player thing
If true, the RED OS does not control volume
Not saying you are wrong but I thought the render (using dlna) is the controller of volume. the next thing in the chain after the renderer is the player and dac.
Trying another player (volumio) i cannot get any volume out of it either. Interestingly, when digging through the volumio settings, the only output it see from the RED is i2s (it does not provide me a usb pulldown option) so no wonder there is no output if it is set to i2s and i am using usb. How do i make the RED default to usb?
When setting it up i put usb as the default.
This is really a struggle getting it to work with anything but the provided OS.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #448 of 1,919
Jan 22, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #449 of 1,919
I am able to play back at 1.4/1.5 MHz with the Red and KTE May.
Could you previously play back at 1.4/1.5 MHz or is this a new playback rate for you?
The USB device that I am connecting through is listed as "2.1" , not "2.0" as shown in your post.
I have the 2.1 enhanced selected in HQPlayer and the Red, Red has stock supplied OS running on it.
Have you cleared all of the updates, the "NEW" button should be gone if you have, otherwise keep hitting the new button until it does not appear anymore.
I would confirm that your settings are the same in your laptop and computer.

There are some other possibilities you my want to check if they apply to your setup;

When the KTE May was first released, not all USB devices could pass 1.4/1.5 MHz with it ( this might be why it works with your laptop and not the gaming rig )
There was a USB hardware update that was offered, I had to replace my USB input, cost was $100 and return of the old hardware.
I think it was free to original purchasers, I am a second owner.

If you are using an EtherREGEN, it has a limitation, it will pass 1.4 MHz but not 1.5 MHz.
The solution is to set the rate to 1.4 MHz and HQPlayer will then only convert up to 768 for 48 rates.
I have spoken with Alex directly concerning this and presently there is no work around.
I have 2 runs of optical fiber from my ISP to my equipment, so I convert to Ethernet with either the EtherREGEN or Sonore OpticalModule.
The OpticalModule will pass 1.4/1.5 MHz, that is with both the original and deluxe versions.

I am as far away from a "tech brain" as you can get!
Currently, for some reason, my SDM files will not play, oh well, I guess we all live in our own little hell from time to time.

Thanks for reply!

-Fully updated Red software.
-The 2.0 is the older module, the newer module "supposedly" only affects AMD CPU, which both mine are intel.
-Tried straight run ethernet and my optical conversion, both result in the issue (distortion at 1536)
-1536 works if Red is bypassed (direct USB).

At a loss, thinking of selling it off.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #450 of 1,919
Thanks for reply!

-Fully updated Red software.
-The 2.0 is the older module, the newer module "supposedly" only affects AMD CPU, which both mine are intel.
-Tried straight run ethernet and my optical conversion, both result in the issue (distortion at 1536)
-1536 works if Red is bypassed (direct USB).

At a loss, thinking of selling it off.
Intersting
Have you tried connecting via USB-in and use Red as DDC and see if this will cause the same issue as the Streamer mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back