Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #422 of 1,889
If this has been covered I apologize, but can the Red in streamer mode output to one device using its i2s and another device using its AES/EBU for example, or is it an "1 or other" situation?

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #423 of 1,889
New to the forum and following thread closely. Could use some help from the experts.

Own a Holo May DAC KTE and a Holo Red.

Having some difficulty with NAA/Hqplayer and Holo Red into a Holo May DAC. Specifically, 768k runs beautifully, if I upsample to 1.5365M it is massively distorted.

-May DAC runs recently upgrade 30.12 Firmware (USB is Enhanced 2.0). This was upgraded from 30.14, and was reverted/reapplied twice. It shows the 1.536 sample rate.

-Holo Red settings are into the UAC 2.0 Gen2 Enhanced. NAA Player enabled. Tried running it on Ropieee XL and the same issue occurred.

-HQPlayer settings are NAA to the Holo UAC 2.0 Gen2 Enhanced. Computer is a high-end gaming rig so it can process (i7-12700K, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080).

-I use a Curious Evolved USB cable to the DAC. Confirmed working at 1536 when plugged direct from laptop. Both DAC and cable confirmed working.

Problem is somewhere in Red.

I'd be super thankful if a tech brain could have an idea.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #426 of 1,889
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #427 of 1,889
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #429 of 1,889
That doesn't work for Tidal/Qobuz when I use with Foobar upnp, have you tried with the Red?
Sorry, don't have Red and Foobar.
Have just reported what is in the app.
Why should you use Foobar btw?
Just use IPad / IPhone?
Gapless feature has nothing to do with Red as Red is working only as a transport and service provider for the transport protocols

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #430 of 1,889
Is there still anyone with iFi Zen Stream and Holo Red? I'm eagerly waiting for this comparison. Especially if there's any difference in sound quality. @GoldenOne ?

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #431 of 1,889
New to the forum and following thread closely. Could use some help from the experts.

Own a Holo May DAC KTE and a Holo Red.

Having some difficulty with NAA/Hqplayer and Holo Red into a Holo May DAC. Specifically, 768k runs beautifully, if I upsample to 1.5365M it is massively distorted.

-May DAC runs recently upgrade 30.12 Firmware (USB is Enhanced 2.0). This was upgraded from 30.14, and was reverted/reapplied twice. It shows the 1.536 sample rate.

-Holo Red settings are into the UAC 2.0 Gen2 Enhanced. NAA Player enabled. Tried running it on Ropieee XL and the same issue occurred.

-HQPlayer settings are NAA to the Holo UAC 2.0 Gen2 Enhanced. Computer is a high-end gaming rig so it can process (i7-12700K, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080).

-I use a Curious Evolved USB cable to the DAC. Confirmed working at 1536 when plugged direct from laptop. Both DAC and cable confirmed working.

Problem is somewhere in Red.

I'd be super thankful if a tech brain could have an idea.
I am able to play back at 1.4/1.5 MHz with the Red and KTE May.
Could you previously play back at 1.4/1.5 MHz or is this a new playback rate for you?
The USB device that I am connecting through is listed as "2.1" , not "2.0" as shown in your post.
I have the 2.1 enhanced selected in HQPlayer and the Red, Red has stock supplied OS running on it.
Have you cleared all of the updates, the "NEW" button should be gone if you have, otherwise keep hitting the new button until it does not appear anymore.
I would confirm that your settings are the same in your laptop and computer.

There are some other possibilities you my want to check if they apply to your setup;

When the KTE May was first released, not all USB devices could pass 1.4/1.5 MHz with it ( this might be why it works with your laptop and not the gaming rig )
There was a USB hardware update that was offered, I had to replace my USB input, cost was $100 and return of the old hardware.
I think it was free to original purchasers, I am a second owner.

If you are using an EtherREGEN, it has a limitation, it will pass 1.4 MHz but not 1.5 MHz.
The solution is to set the rate to 1.4 MHz and HQPlayer will then only convert up to 768 for 48 rates.
I have spoken with Alex directly concerning this and presently there is no work around.
I have 2 runs of optical fiber from my ISP to my equipment, so I convert to Ethernet with either the EtherREGEN or Sonore OpticalModule.
The OpticalModule will pass 1.4/1.5 MHz, that is with both the original and deluxe versions.

I am as far away from a "tech brain" as you can get!
Currently, for some reason, my SDM files will not play, oh well, I guess we all live in our own little hell from time to time.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #432 of 1,889
You can't take an image/card from another device and put it in. You have to flash anew.

Not sure why but I ran into this when trying to set up multiple Ropieee devices before.
You need to flash from scratch
Thanks for your reply
Got it working.
Disappointing that using DLNA you cant control volume except via the renderer and not the software player volume controls

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #433 of 1,889
Thanks for your reply
Got it working.
Disappointing that using DLNA you cant control volume except via the renderer and not the software player volume controls
Hmm, will depend on the implementation of the streaming application?
Not sure but I think Audirvana allows volume control in the remote control app?

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #435 of 1,889
I can’t connect to red.local now… worked Friday night now nothing.
Red also randomly stopped playback, had to restart it to get it working.
So far I’ve been a little annoyed with this device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back