Holo Audio Red Streamer
Jan 21, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #406 of 1,883
Im using roon with rock and the red is saying its using airplay at high quality. Not sure whats going on if thats right or not but this is kind of a pain in the ass so far. The first 4 times i turned it on, the red wouldnt send a signal to my dac via I2S. After the 5th time?? it randomly worked.

With USB directly into the Rockna i get 352k, with the Red via i2s I'm getting 44.1k...

Edit, now Holo Red ALSA is showing up in roon, but when I select it I'm not getting a signal from my dac via i2s...

Edit, now it works...What. this thing is odd. Lossless without airplay now.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #408 of 1,883
I have yet to get ropieee to load and work.
I pulled a working sdcard from another pi and placed it in the red and it does not load, nor can i get a view into the red via web ip address. I flashed 2 other sd cards and still nothing.
Seems like others have been successful getting it to work. If so, whats the secret?

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #409 of 1,883
A few observations that might help out others;
For 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM the output, "enhanced" must be selected.
I had to update 3 times at the bottom for the page before the "new" button went away.
It would appear that updates are sequential and it will update them in order.

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #410 of 1,883
My hub/streamer/upsampler (Audiobyte Hydra.HUB) would do this. Will have to press the update again when finish. Because sometimes, there are multiple updates.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #411 of 1,883
I have yet to get ropieee to load and work.
I pulled a working sdcard from another pi and placed it in the red and it does not load, nor can i get a view into the red via web ip address. I flashed 2 other sd cards and still nothing.
Seems like others have been successful getting it to work. If so, whats the secret?
You can't take an image/card from another device and put it in. You have to flash anew.

Not sure why but I ran into this when trying to set up multiple Ropieee devices before.
You need to flash from scratch

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #412 of 1,883
Hi.

I am asking for advice. I am rather new to streaming, all my rigs were around PC as a source of data to my DAC or DDC. Now I have Red on its way to me.

What I have now:

• Windows PC, connected to router with ethernet
  • DAC, connected to PC with USB
  • NAS with tons of FLACs and DSD files, connected to router with ethernet
  • foobar on PC, and as well I have tried HQ Player Desktop on PC (not embedded)
Now I just browse folders on NAS (via SMB) and play music with foobar: NAS -> SMB -> foobar -> USB -> DAC.

What I will have:
  • RED connected to my router
  • DAC, connected to RED
  • NAS with music
I want to exclude PC from my setup, and control what is playing from NAS, with some Android app (or with Web page). But what is absolute must for me - the music should not be passed through wireless connection, and Android app should only control playlist and not to perform any transcoding, DSP etc. Bitperfect in other words.
NAS -> RED -> DAC

Is that possible? I am not interested in any cloud music streaming (Tidal etc.), I have all music locally and happy with that.
It is OK to try and buy some software, if you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #413 of 1,883
Yes. For exsmple configure your streamer to UPnP. Use BubbleUPnP (Android) in your phone/tablet to stream(pass) music directly to your Streamer via NAS/Qobuz/Tidal/Cloud(Google Dirve, OneDrive,Dropbox,Box) . So its NAS->RED(via BubbleUPnP)->DAC

Have no experience in Airplay or Squeezelite(LMS) but I know you could it too w/ the same principle.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #415 of 1,883
Hi.

I am asking for advice. I am rather new to streaming, all my rigs were around PC as a source of data to my DAC or DDC. Now I have Red on its way to me.

What I have now:

• Windows PC, connected to router with ethernet
  • DAC, connected to PC with USB
  • NAS with tons of FLACs and DSD files, connected to router with ethernet
  • foobar on PC, and as well I have tried HQ Player Desktop on PC (not embedded)
Now I just browse folders on NAS (via SMB) and play music with foobar: NAS -> SMB -> foobar -> USB -> DAC.

What I will have:
  • RED connected to my router
  • DAC, connected to RED
  • NAS with music
I want to exclude PC from my setup, and control what is playing from NAS, with some Android app (or with Web page). But what is absolute must for me - the music should not be passed through wireless connection, and Android app should only control playlist and not to perform any transcoding, DSP etc. Bitperfect in other words.
NAS -> RED -> DAC

Is that possible? I am not interested in any cloud music streaming (Tidal etc.), I have all music locally and happy with that.
It is OK to try and buy some software, if you recommend.

Thanks in advance.
As you are both using HQPLAYER and local music you can also use either HQPLAYER being fed by your NAS (guess you've configured that yet in you old setup) and just select Red as NAA endpoint and you are ready to go.
Another intersting approach for you would be Roon as it can play both your NAS content as well as use HQPLAYER and Red can act as Roon Endpoint as well as NAA endpoint.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #416 of 1,883
As you are both using HQPLAYER and local music you can also use either HQPLAYER being fed by your NAS (guess you've configured that yet in you old setup) and just select Red as NAA endpoint and you are ready to go.
Another intersting approach for you would be Roon as it can play both your NAS content as well as use HQPLAYER and Red can act as Roon Endpoint as well as NAA endpoint.
Not sure that I understand you. As I have said, I am complete noob in streaming, and I use HQ Player very basically - just drag and drop files to it. So, I assume it cannot be called "to feed it with NAS". But it is quite interesting option, and I do not mind to try (when my Red is in transit).

Try Roon is OK, but as far as I know, Roon Core requires powerful PC. My PC is good for Roon, but as I said I would like to exclude it from the chain.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #417 of 1,883
Not sure that I understand you. As I have said, I am complete noob in streaming, and I use HQ Player very basically - just drag and drop files to it. So, I assume it cannot be called "to feed it with NAS". But it is quite interesting option, and I do not mind to try (when my Red is in transit).

Try Roon is OK, but as far as I know, Roon Core requires powerful PC. My PC is good for Roon, but as I said I would like to exclude it from the chain.
One thing you need to understand is that the computing side where HQPlayer and / or Roon is sitting is ideally seperated from the DAC but still you will need it if you want to upsample or manage your library through such software.
Imagine it as a data center with computing power which you can put for example side by side to your NAS or even directly attach your big hard disk to the computer running Roon / HQPlayer.
The isolated Streamer (here: Red) is connected to Ethernet and DAC and will receive the audio stream from that remote PC.
That's all.
No big secret.

After that setup is configured you can remote control your music stream from your tablet, no need to sit in front of your PC.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #418 of 1,883

Roon Core doesn’t require powerful PC at all. A basic PC or laptop will do unless you want to run complex DSP etc and have tons of music. Try it in your laptop first and then later may be get a NUC.

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #419 of 1,883
One thing you need to understand is that the computing side where HQPlayer and / or Roon is sitting is ideally seperated from the DAC but still you will need it if you want to upsample or manage your library through such software.
Imagine it as a data center with computing power which you can put for example side by side to your NAS or even directly attach your big hard disk to the computer running Roon / HQPlayer.
The isolated Streamer (here: Red) is connected to Ethernet and DAC and will receive the audio stream from that remote PC.
That's all.
No big secret.

After that setup is configured you can remote control your music stream from your tablet, no need to sit in front of your PC.
Now it is clearer. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back